Salary Cap: Capgeek - 2013-14 Projections - We're #1 !!

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
How does having 2 games in hand mean nothing until they win them?

Winning 2 games is 4 points. Having 2 games in hand is a potential 4 points. If you think 4 potential points = nothing then I don't know what to say man.

Have you ever looked at MBL or NBA standings? They seem to feel games in hand have value, I wonder why that is?
Can I hire you and pay you in potential money?

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
The games in hand issue is being overstated. At present the team would be still be in a playoff position based on points percentage.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
The games in hand issue is being overstated. At present the team would be still be in a playoff position based on points percentage.

We still play the Habs twice more, so the Leafs can make up for the 2 games in hand they don't have. Just beat them both times, destiny is in our hands the way the standings are now. Also looking at the way our team is trending(and playing lately) and they way the Habs have they are plummeting and we are red hot. Hopefully that continues at least until the olympic break. Realistically we should be able to win at the very least 2 of our next 4 games more likely 3 of the 4 unless we start to crap the bed again.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Can I hire you and pay you in potential money?

If the pay depends on my performance, sure. I was a contract worker for many years, got paid based on my performance, I loved it!

0 games in hand = 0 value.
2 games in hand if they are both won = 4 points.
2 games in hand not played yet = opportunity to pick up 4 points.

It's obvious that this opportunity is worth something.

It was suggested that these 2 games MTL had in hand had little value because they were to be played against Boston and TB. How's that working out so far?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Montreal's games in hand mean nothing until they win them, until then we are ahead of them. Unless there is an alternate NHL standings I'm missing?

As for the east, I still don't see a single team I don't believe we could beat in seven games. Not one. What happened between teams over the last several years means absolutely nothing in 2014. What relevance does Boston beating Toronto in 2012 have now?

Any team could beat any other team, that doesn't mean they are likely to.

Do me a favour, start a thread on the main board on how a Toronto Boston series is likely to play out. Hearing what some people who are neutral think might bring you back down to earth a little. And I could use the entertainment. :laugh:

Seriosly, if you agree with the other poster that a Toronto-Boston series would be a toss-up then you are very far removed from reality.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Looks like you're off by a D-man (Rielly?) since Gunnar, Rielly, Phaneuf and Gleason are all signed for the 2014-2015 season.

http://www.capgeek.com/mapleleafs

Thread title is still wrong as well, Washington has less space than the Leafs (and did the last time I posted).

I am trying to work out a scenario where we can fit in a 4.5 to 5M caphit on our D. This is where we need more money allocated, unless Rielly takes a big step fwd next season.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
how does this look now with Fraser gone? are they still doomed?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Actually we'd only need $2-3m in space to add an $8m guy for the rest of the year.

Delicious Dangles*

While 4th in the east is a fact, it also can be very misleading given games in hand issues.

Shoot out wins can also be misleading, when debating a teams possible prowess in the POs.

It is true that a win is a win , but fact is, come POs ,2 formats to win a game in the reg season are gone, 4 v 4 and shoot outs.

This consistent issue of being heavily out shot , bad PK, one of the highest times short handed and lowest times on the PP are concerning issues.
Well, if those games in hand make somebody pass us, then feel free to call us 5th, but until then, we are 4th, quickly catching up on 3rd. 4th last year, 4th this year. Gosh, it's almost like we're 4th.

Shootout wins can be misleading? How about last year when we went 0-5? Were we, in reality, one of the best teams in the league last year? (If only ROW count, we were tied for 3rd best in the league!) Of course, teams that have 3 consistent shootout scorers and an elite goaltender simply can't be good at a part of the game that utilizes 2 consistent shootout scorers and an elite goaltender.

Also, we surely would have lost all those 13 games, if the shootout didn't exist, amiright?

Yes, we have some concerning issues, just like all teams. We also have many things that are promising.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

Do me a favour, start a thread on the main board on how a Toronto Boston series is likely to play out. Hearing what some people who are neutral think might bring you back down to earth a little. And I could use the entertainment. :laugh:

Seriosly, if you agree with the other poster that a Toronto-Boston series would be a toss-up then you are very far removed from reality.

What reason do you have to believe otherwise?
Reality: the Leafs are 1-2 against them this season.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Well, if those games in hand make somebody pass us, then feel free to call us 5th, but until then, we are 4th, quickly catching up on 3rd. 4th last year, 4th this year. Gosh, it's almost like we're 4th.

Shootout wins can be misleading? How about last year when we went 0-5? Were we, in reality, one of the best teams in the league last year? (If only ROW count, we were tied for 3rd best in the league!) Of course, teams that have 3 consistent shootout scorers and an elite goaltender simply can't be good at a part of the game that utilizes 2 consistent shootout scorers and an elite goaltender.

Also, we surely would have lost all those 13 games, if the shootout didn't exist, amiright?

Yes, we have some concerning issues, just like all teams. We also have many things that are promising.

No, last year good teams found ways to win. This year were doing it by luck, don't you understand how it works????

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I am trying to work out a scenario where we can fit in a 4.5 to 5M caphit on our D. This is where we need more money allocated, unless Rielly takes a big step fwd next season.
Lots of options to do that with the RFA and UFAs this team has.

My point was that your calculations were off. You were missing a player.

Delicious Dangles*

So Montreal's games in hand are meaningless? Oooooookay then. 4th in the east it is. :)
Not meaningless, but until they do something with them, they don't count for points.

If we were at a low point then, perhaps we're at a high point now? That's what, 15 points out of 18 over the last 9 games. It doesn't get much "higher" than that.
Of course we're at a high point now. We're not going to continue an 8-1-1 record forever. Which means, taking into account both the low points and the high points, we are 4th.

I wish people would stop using the "our top 3 centres were injured" excuse. It's fiction, nothing more. Kadri wasn't injured, he was suspended (deservedly) for 3 games, 2 of which we won. Every team has injuries, our injury problems have been average (if that).
The Kadri suspension was a joke, and we played without our top 3 centers. That's a fact. Playing without our 1st line center and shutdown center was no easy task either, especially with Carlyle's coaching style, and that was for considerable time.

4th place in the standings does not mean that they are "the 4th best team" as you said earlier. Especially not when they could be 12th a week from now.
Actually, it does. If they are 12th a week from now, they are 12th a week from now.

Here's a simple question for you. Let's say that 2 weeks from now, the Leafs are in 9th place in the East. Will you then be saying that we are the 9th best team in the East? Or will you put some other spin on it?
Then they will be 9th place in the East. I don't get what's so difficult about this.

I am not diminishing our success, I just said not to expect that we would continue to win shootouts at the same rate going forward. Do you think that's an unreasonable stance?
Maybe, maybe not. It's pretty ridiculous to make any predictions about future shootout results. A lot depends on which teams you end up facing in the shootout.

It's also unreasonable to think that we will need to keep the same pace for shootouts to keep the same pace for points. There is no predictability to number of shootouts in a year.

Good setup of shooters? What does that mean? It's the same guys dude. Last year, Bozak was the only player to score, this year the other guys are scoring that's all there is to it. It's simple variance, nothing more. Or are you predicting that we will continue to win shootouts at the same rate going forward?
We did not use a set-up of JVR, Lupul and Bozak last year. Some shooters are better than others at it. Some goalies are better than others at it.

You earlier said that we are the 4th best team in the East. That is not a fact. The fact that we are 4th in the standings (which most people I think would agree should be 5th) doesn't mean that we are the 4th best team.
Nitpicking. Teams are ranked by points in the NHL. So it is reasonable to say that we are the 4th best team.

If it doesn't matter who the favorite is, what's the point of thinking about how you match up with potential playoff opponents?

Anyone objectively looking at a Toronto-Boston matchup would see that Boston would be a huge favorite. If you throw out everything we know about both teams based on how they have played over the last several years and look at one 7 game series in a vaccuum, then sure it's a toss-up. Please tell me you're not that naive.

If a TOR-BOs series happens, BOS will be a huge favorite. The betting line will give Toronto approximately a 30% chance of winning the series. But you think it will more like 50/50? Or are you going to say that the people who set the odds don't know what they're doing, they don't understand how well we "match up"?
You don't seem to be understanding the concept. I never said that Leafs were the favourites. I said compared to the point discrepancies and the difficulty of said team in general for teams in the playoffs, our most likely matchups are ones where we have comparatively better odds.

You should also look into how odds makers determine odds.

Delicious Dangles*

It was suggested that these 2 games MTL had in hand had little value because they were to be played against Boston and TB. How's that working out so far?
That's not why they had little value, but it's working out well so far. Montreal won 1, and we won 1. So we're in the same spot.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What reason do you have to believe otherwise?
Reality: the Leafs are 1-2 against them this season.

What reason do I have? It's obvious Boston is a better team, there are many reasons. If you really don't understand why that is then you have a lot to learn. Start a thread on on the subject the main board and I'm sure there will be many who are willing to take the time to explain it to you. (Hint - if you ask Leaf fans only you may not get objective answers).

Not meaningless, but until they do something with them, they don't count for points.

I never said they did. :)

Having 2 games in hand has value which has the potential of turning into points. That's all there is to it.

The Kadri suspension was a joke, and we played without our top 3 centers. That's a fact. Playing without our 1st line center and shutdown center was no easy task either, especially with Carlyle's coaching style, and that was for considerable time.

Stop with the excuses. Kadri's suspension was well deserved. Even if it wasn't, we won 2 out of 3 while he was out and we were OMG without our top 3 centres.

Winning 2 out of 3. Yeah, what a huge setback that was. Maybe we should play without our 3 top centres more often. :)

You don't seem to be understanding the concept. I never said that Leafs were the favourites. I said compared to the point discrepancies and the difficulty of said team in general for teams in the playoffs, our most likely matchups are ones where we have comparatively better odds.

Um ... what does this mean. You have said that we match up well against Boston, Pittsburgh, Montreal and Tampa Bay. When you for some reason only pick 4 teams in the east to assess how we match up, they happen to be the 4 best teams that we could possibly play in the 1st round and you think we match up against every single one of them ... do you see how this could be interpreted as a non-objective point of view? :)

You should also look into how odds makers determine odds.

If you think that a Boston-Toronto series would be a toss-up, I think I have a better grasp on this then you do. Feel free to share your insight if you think I'm missing something.

That's not why they had little value, but it's working out well so far. Montreal won 1, and we won 1. So we're in the same spot.

Ok I'll bite. Why did they have little value?

We were discussing the 2 games MTL had in hand, the fact that Toronto won last night has zero to do with this. The fact that Montreal won on the other hand ...

PS I never said how much or how little value they had. All I said, was that having 2 games in hand has theoretical value - possible 4 points.:)

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
What reason do I have? It's obvious Boston is a better team, there are many reasons. If you really don't understand why that is then you have a lot to learn. Start a thread on on the subject the main board and I'm sure there will be many who are willing to take the time to explain it to you. (Hint - if you ask Leaf fans only you may not get objective answers).
I asked YOU. Explain it to me. Try to use an adult argument while doing so.

Having 2 games in hand has value which has the potential of turning into points.

It has a point value of zero. I am searching the standings for the 'potential points' column.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

I would love a rematch with Boston...you are making it sound like Boston is an unbeatable team.

They needed a miracle to beat us and they got it.

Things change over a season but even this year, they didn't beat us as much as we shot ourselves in the foot with needless penalties...JvR took a 4 min high sticking penalty when all the momentum was in our favour.

I don't fear Boston and think we could beat them. They likely start the series as favorites because of higher seeding but it's hardly a series where the Leafs would need a miracle to beat them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad