Salary Cap: Capgeek - 2013-14 Projections - We're #1 !!

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
The four teams below us are or have been powerhouses recently. While we haven't. Poor cap management?

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
how the **** are we capped out in no mans land with a horrible prospect system and some of our future draft picks traded??????

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
We as fans tend to worry more about cap space than management seems to.

It would be nice to be able to make a deadline move or two, though. Maybe even sign Komarov when the KHL season ends.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

It would be nice to be able to make a deadline move or two, though. Maybe even sign Komarov when the KHL season ends.

Cap $$ Out would have equal Cap $$ In as there isn't even enough cap space at present to add a minor leaguer making league min $550k.

Silver lining might be you can't trade draft picks for help with no cap space to add without subtracting.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Trading Fraser and Franson would save $3.2 M...

Fraser would clear waivers at this point he's 8th on our depth chart with a weak Defense, doubt anyone would give us anything for him.

people say this all the time, yet we constantly hear GM's talk about the lack of movement in the league in terms of trades because the money and Cap restricts a lot of movement hence why the new CBA allows you to pay a portion of a traded players salary now. the Salary Cap does restrict a lot of movement and so it is talked about a lot internally imo.

Strategy

Sep 8, 2013
Franson will want a raise even though he does not deserve it, so trade him (he can get a decent return too)

Kulemin is a UFA this year and could be traded.

Clarkson... get rid of him for a 7th rounder or something, free up 5.25M right there.

IMO I think our cap situation is fine

Baarle*

May 29, 2010
28.294194, -39.07612
Thought that was for next season and I got very worried :facepalm:

I'm not too concerned for this year though. If we have to call someone up we can just send down Fraser/Ranger.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Trade Deadline --> Free Cap Space --> Available Options

Options will be limited to add help.

Nonis is often criticized for non movement, but his cap situation is really dictating his actions.

Some teams competing for the same playoff spots with lots of free cap space could be loading up improving their teams which could effect the Leafs playoff chances.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Nonis repeatedly says he won't trade futures for older players so I didn't think we were going to be adding in the salary department at the deadline anyway. I kind of assumed it would be a hockey trade or nothing.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Something will have to give when Bolland is activated. According to capgeek twitter account the Leafs can send down Smith, Bodie and Ashton to get to the 23 man roster but will still be ~$1m over when Bolland comes back. The trade for Gleason is the reason as Liles was saving $925,000 when he was in the minors.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Subject to change, anyone been watching the Canadian Dollar in free fall lately?

Oct 19, 2007
Imagine the condition the team would be in if management had followed the wishes of this board back in July and gave Kadri and Franson the 6 and 4 million each they were asking respectively.. Yes people were all for giving these two players salaries somewhere near these numbers.. Leave it to the capologist.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Nobody bothered to notice that the 370K space is taking into account a 26 man roster?

Am I missing something or is it just panic based on partial facts?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nobody bothered to notice that the 370K space is taking into account a 26 man roster?

Am I missing something or is it just panic based on partial facts?

Players injured on LTIR (Bolland. Smith etc), still count on the roster but their cap hits overlap with his replacement (for all intents and purposes).

Capgeek takes this into account when calculating available cap space.. Notice the LTIR column to adjust the roster to 23 active players of overlapping cap hits.

Hard Cap is $64,300,000
Projected Cap Payroll (26 players) $66,794,561
= +$2,494,561 over the cap (= LTIR $2,494,561 injury allowance)

Last edited:

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I hate the fact that Clarkson seems impossible to touch, including a buyout. I agreed with the Grabo buyout, you dont pay a guy under-performing in the wrong role who couldnt elevate above those in the top 6 to find a role. Especially with what we payed grabovski (hell i would love him at 3m as a 3rd scoring or a depth 2nd liner).

But why doesnt this same thing apply to Clarkson? Because he was a big UFA move and Nonis would look bad? Because he bleeds blue? A good ol ontario boy? You either make sense for that amount you make or you dont, regardless of how they were acquired.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad