Salary Cap: Capfriendly has updated 2019-20 figures

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Kappy will sign for 1 year for 2M but nothing will be done until Mitch signs. AJ has turned down the Leafs for 2.1M which is fine. The Leafs will go to arb and then if over 2.1M they will decline contract.
You think that they will decline a 20 goal player and just let him walk?

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
You think that they will decline a 20 goal player and just let him walk?

Teams aren't allowed to walk way from club elected arbitration

The award must be higher than a certain amount in order for a team to walk away from player elected arbitration, that number was 3.5M when the last CBA was signed, it increases with the inflation of the average NHL salary.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
ELC players are exempt
I feel like if Lily played last year on the leafs for enough games that he didnt have an entry level slide he would be an RFA for the 2021 expansion draft (the 3 ELC years after the 2017/18 slide being 2018/19, 2019/20, 2020/21) .

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What isn't so obvious is are you just getting rid of players under contract you don't like, in order to make Leafs cap work and sign players you do?

Unloading Zaitsev who has 5 years @ $4.5 mil remaining for futures isn't really all that easy in real life, besides he is Leafs only legitimate RHD that plays in the top 4?

Cap management would be easy if it simply worked like that as then most would just magically remove Marleau. :wg:

Dubas is faced with tougher decisions because he can't just pretend players under contract don't exist.

Theres an entire offseason to trade or turn to free agency to replace Zaitsev....

Let's not pretend the Leafs opening night lineup is set in stone...

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
No way Johnsson's arb deal comes back that high. At the principle of it, he's a 24 year old, with 46 career points.
I don't think there's a single comparable over 1.8 million

Johnsson is such a unique case that if you want to discuss career points then you probably won't find a comparable, however if you just want to look at the last season then Marcus Johansson is a very good comparable.

Andreas Johnsson as a 24 year old last year:
Games = 73
Goals = 20
Assists = 23
Points = 43
Points per game average = 0.59

Marcus Johansson as a 24 year old with Washington (2014-2015):
Games = 82
Goals = 20
Assists = 27
Points = 47
Points per game average = 0.57

The arbitrator awarded Johansson a one year contract for 2015-2016 of $3,750,000.
Factoring in that the salary cap for that year was only $71.4 million a similar deal, with a cap of $83 million, would be $4.36 million.

Now, not having a history in the League like Johansson had is certainly going to make Johnsson's arbitration number lower but for those fans thinking that he signs for under $2.0 million they are likely to be surprised and disappointed.
An arbitrated one year deal in the $3.0 to $3.5 million range seems more likely to me.

Last edited:

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Teams aren't allowed to walk way from club elected arbitration

The award must be higher than a certain amount in order for a team to walk away from player elected arbitration, that number was 3.5M when the last CBA was signed, it increases with the inflation of the average NHL salary.

Yes, you are right, but that was what the poster was suggesting.
I remember that the Bruins walked away from Dmitri Khristich back in the day.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Ah okay, it was if they played this past year they wouldnt be exempt right?

If I remember correctly....

1st and 2nd year pros are exempt. For Liljegren and Sandin playing in the AHL last year (and the year before for Lily) does not count as a pro year because of their ELC contract slide. If either had played in the NHL (enough games that their contracts could not slide) then their year would have counted and they would need to be protected.

For next year, not that it matters (unless, say Seattle was delayed by a year), it counts as a pro year for Liljegren even if he doesn't play a game in the NHL (as his ELC can't slide again).

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If Lily and Sandin play over the slide limit amount of games (13 or something?) wouldnt they be eligible for the expansion draft?

Then the Leafs protect 3 defensemen: Rielly and the <best 2 of Dermott, Liljegren and Sandin> while leaving Zaitsev unprotected.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If I remember correctly....

1st and 2nd year pros are exempt. For Liljegren and Sandin playing in the AHL last year (and the year before for Lily) does not count as a pro year because of their ELC contract slide. If either had played in the NHL (enough games that their contracts could not slide) then their year would have counted and they would need to be protected.

For next year, not that it matters (unless, say Seattle was delayed by a year), it counts as a pro year for Liljegren even if he doesn't play a game in the NHL (as his ELC can't slide again).
Okay thanks for clarifying.

I remember last year thinking Lily couldnt get called up or it could interfere with his protection for the expansion draft so that makes sense.

Ya it would be pretty bad for the leafs if it got pushed back a year lol.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I feel like if Lily played last year on the leafs for enough games that he didnt have an entry level slide he would be an RFA for the 2021 expansion draft (the 3 ELC years after the 2017/18 slide being 2018/19, 2019/20, 2020/21) .

That's correct, but we're in the clear now with him and Sandin

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
If they move Brown and one of Zaitsev/Marleau they can comfortably keep all their rfa's. I think that you are going to have to bank on this team getting better by improvements from all the young players because I don't see how they will be able to add anymore than they already have.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
What isn't so obvious is are you just getting rid of players under contract you don't like, in order to make Leafs cap work and sign players you do?

Unloading Zaitsev who has 5 years @ $4.5 mil remaining for futures isn't really all that easy in real life, besides he is Leafs only legitimate RHD that plays in the top 4?
Yes, I would rather give up bad players with too big contracts if that meant I made space for good players for equal pay. That's the obvious part.

And in my scenario, Zaitsev wouldn't be the only RD since I acquired an RD. He's also not a legitimate top 4 d-man, considering that he's mostly struggled in such a role. But yes, unloading him is not easy. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be a priority to get done.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
IF Marleau accepts a trade, and IF Dubas can convince Marner, Kapanen and AJ to sign reasonable deals, then we should be able to fill out the roster with only mild losses (Gards is gone, and would have to deal someone like Brown).

More likely though, Marleau stays and Dubas gets destroyed on RFA negotiations. If so we’re going to have to deal a number of reasonably core players - likely 2-3 Nylander, Kadri, Zaitsev, Kapanen and AJ will have to go.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Why would any of Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson give the team discounts? There were no discounts in the Nylander and Matthews contracts.

Reactions: ACC1224

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Why would any of Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson give the team discounts? There were no discounts in the Nylander and Matthews contracts.
I think it's alright to sign some reasonable deals that are comparable to those that other teams have signed. Outside of Marner they don't have much leverage. Kucherov signed 9.5 over 8 years as well, so that's not a great comparable for Marner.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
AJ is an offensive only player. We simply can't afford him over 2.1M next season. We can bring up Bracco at much less than a MIL and get more production. It is my understanding that he has been told this already. This stuff get complicated but I was told if any arb award put team over CAP then team could decline on that basis. I am not a lawyer so I don't know but I have heard this from a few people.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
That's not quite correct. It's possible for players to have the required 2 years of professional experience and still be on their ELC.

It's worded weirdly but the requirement is really 3 years. "2nd year professionals" are still exempt and since the draft is in June this means players are still "2nd year professionals" even though they've finished their 2nd year. The earliest a player can be drafted is when they're a "3rd year professional" which essentially means after their third year.

So technically a player could be drafted while still "on" their ELC but at the earliest it would be a third year ELC player who's contract is about to expire in 1-2 weeks. So realistically you're drafting an RFA.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It's worded weirdly but the requirement is really 3 years. "2nd year professionals" are still exempt and since the draft is in June this means players are still "2nd year professionals" even though they've finished their 2nd year. The earliest a player can be drafted is when they're a "3rd year professional" which essentially means after their third year.

So technically a player could be drafted while still "on" their ELC but at the earliest it would be a third year ELC player who's contract is about to expire in 1-2 weeks. So realistically you're drafting an RFA.

It's a little more complicated because there's an odd situation with late birthday players where a player's contract can slide at age 19, but the player is considered age 20 for waivers/professional season purposes. This affected some players in the Vegas expansion draft like Anthony Mantha who had to be protected even though he was still on his ELC the upcoming season.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Just wondering if it would it make any sense to acquire by trade another player that will be on injured reserve for the rest of his career, like Nathan Horton? Would this give us more cap room once the season started?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad