Salary Cap: Capfriendly has updated 2019-20 figures

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Our Leafs sit #6 on cap used (and reflecting Matthews new deal)

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $8,790,301 with 17 players under contract.

With Marner, Kapanen and AJ as RFAs and Gardiner and Hainsey as UFAs.

Link: CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It is really 14M as this season Horton will go on LTIR. They could not last season due to using up Matty's bonus into last years CAP.

Marner 10.5M
Kappy 2M
Defense 1.5M + whatever they can free up on Z + anything gained if they can download Marleau

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A figure that includes Nathan Horton.

In the regular season, when that player is allowed to be replaced.

During the offseason it counts in full, but there is a +10% slush fund available ($83 mil Cap X 10% = $8.3 mil) minus Horton $5.3 mil = +$3 mil extra = $86 mil offseason.

Offseason (accounting for Horton) = $8,790,301 + $3 mil slush + Horton = 11,790,301

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

During the offseason it counts in full, but there is a +10% slush fund available ($83 mil Cap X 10% = $8.3 mil) minus Horton $5.3 mil = +$3 mil extra = $86 mil offseason.

LTIR can be used in the off-season, to allow teams to go beyond the off-season cushion.

They just need to provide proof from a Doctor that the player will be injured come the start of the regular season

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
LTIR can be used in the off-season, to allow teams to go beyond the off-season cushion.

They just need to provide proof from a Doctor that the player will be injured come the start of the regular season

You also can't start with an available cap space number that includes Horton and then subtract his salary from the additional off season cap room.

$83M cap * 1.1 = $91.3M - $74.2M signed players = $17.1M in off season cap room.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This also assumes the cap doesn't go up right? If we get a 2-3M bump thats basically Kapanens short term deal.

No this reflects the Salary Cap increase expected to go from $79.6 mil (2018-19) last season to $83 mil for next season 2019-20. Its based on the new Cap #'s.

The Cap going up by ~+$3 mil basically allows for the Kapanen new deal expected in the $3 mil range.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
81M is low end on CAP hit provided by NHL BOD
83M is most likely which is what CAPFRIENDLY uses
85.4M is max depending on the NHLPA inflater

So depends on players vote but 85.4M means the higher holdback which most players don't want for cash flow/tax reason

So 83M is the safe CAP number which is most likely

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
81M is low end on CAP hit provided by NHL BOD
83M is most likely which is what CAPFRIENDLY uses
85.4M is max depending on the NHLPA inflater

So depends on players vote but 85.4M means the higher holdback which most players don't want for cash flow/tax reason

So 83M is the safe CAP number which is most likely

NHLPA generally only use the 5% inflator when the Salary Cap is flat with no increase, but it comes at a cost as it increases the amount that is held back from player salaries during the season referred to as Escrow.

Players hate paying Escrow and losing take home pay, so it would be unlikely they would vote to have more $$ withheld to artificially use the inflator in a year where there is normal +$3 mil increase already. IMO

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Leafs need to be under the cap to start the season obviously.

Do we need to be under to start the season and then can apply the Horton relief?
or do we apply the Horton relief at any time before the season when calculating?

I have heard different opinions on this.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Do we need to be under to start the season and then can apply the Horton relief?
or do we apply the Horton relief at any time before the season when calculating?

I have no idea, we can also use offseason LTIR possibly.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Generally the answer here is both (with some exceptions) to the rule as per CBA, that is why there is some grey area here.

Usually come the start of the regular season all teams submit their final 23 max rosters and must be cap compliant ie < $83 mil (2019-20), then teams are allowed for put injured players on IR and LTIR and replace them with healthy bodies for game #1, after being approved by NHL.

However the exception to the rule comes in the case of players that have been on long term IR already and missed over a full season which is the case with Horton.. He would fail his team physical and then Leafs could essentially place him on LTIR before submitting their final rosters for opening night cap compliance, and could already replace Horton (with say Marleau) and that would allow Leafs to submit a 24 man roster pushing Horton's $5.3 mil LTIR above the $83 mil cap upper limit via this exception allowing for dead contracts on team books.

During the offseason however the CBA sets up a +%10 slush fund that attempts to account for these types of players, allowing teams to exceed the hard cap figure temporarily. This is by design because of Offersheets and Arbitration cases and other things that can't be planned for and injured players shouldn't prevent a team from keeping their own players, by things outside their own control.

PS. However there is also a catch with using LTIR as a team must spend to the cap ceiling, in order to qualify for the LTIR reimbursement and push it above the hard cap. Last year the Leafs intentionally stayed below that hard cap ceiling trying to save cap space for rookie bonuses of Matthews and Marner etc, so those costs could be absorbed in last year's cap at season end and not be carried forward to his year as a Cap penalty..

** Based on the new capfriendly listing it appears all this rookie bonus are now off the books with a clean slate for this upcoming season.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Iceman

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012

Offseason (accounting for Horton) = $8,790,301 + $3 mil slush + Horton = 11,790,301
You appear to have counted Horton twice. His salary is included in the total salaries and then it was counted again to reduce the 10% slush. The Leafs, like every other team, can go to $83 million plus 10% in the off season.

Last edited by a moderator:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Roughly $14M with the Horton LTIR relief:

Modest RFA numbers:
$10M Marner
$3.1M Kapanen
$2.9M Johnsson
Total $16M

Over by $2M

Still short 2 to 3 defensemen (and a new backup goalie): $3M to $5M

Over by about $5M to $7M. Need to move at least $6M in contract(s).

Reactions: CDN24

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Need to move at least $6M in contract(s).
Which would take picks or prospects.

I'll be surprised if we move 6M in contracts.
Other than Nylander.

Major trades never seems to happen in the offseason for the Leafs. We did win the Tavares sweepstakes.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Roughly $14M with the Horton LTIR relief:

Modest RFA numbers:
$10M Marner
$3.1M Kapanen
$2.9M Johnsson
Total $16M

Over by $2M

Still short 2 to 3 defensemen (and a new backup goalie): $3M to $5M

Over by about $5M to $7M. Need to move at least $6M in contract(s).

I think $3.1M Kapanen will be a cap casualty. The Matthews overpay is responsible for losing Kapanen.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Which would take picks or prospects.

I'll be surprised if we move 6M in contracts.
Other than Nylander.

Major trades never seems to happen in the offseason for the Leafs. We did win the Tavares sweepstakes.

Would you trade the 2020 1st round pick to retain all of Kapanen, Johnsson, Marner, Nylander, Zaitsev, Kadri? I would.

Reactions: Leafsman

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Would you trade the 2020 1st round pick to retain all of Kapanen, Johnsson, Marner, Nylander, Zaitsev, Kadri? I would.
It has to be considered.

I think Matthews is leaving in 5 years.
so I want to try to contend now.

I want to upgrade the D, and those tend to take 5 years to get into the NHL anyway ... so I probably would entertain it.

Overall, I never want to give up first rounders ... so I'd be looking to trade Nylander - but not at a discount.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto

We would lose Kapanen/Johnsson anyways after their short term deal is up.

Marleau really is the thorn in our sides here. If Brown + Marleau are moved we easily fit everyone

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
So you are basically saying Marleau + a 1st in 2020. Marleau still holds all the cards though.

Marleau does hold the cards. He's been here 2 seasons. He knows the people who'll have to leave if Marleau's cap hit stays next season. It's not an impossible sell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad