GDT: Cap v ott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
unfortunately glue is also what’s holding his body together at this point
it's impressive how effective he's remained with his injuries. I remember a ton of people saying overpay at the time of his deal but it was so worth it. He's an all time favorite

Reactions: troyerlaw

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
it's impressive how effective he's remained with his injuries. I remember a ton of people saying overpay at the time of his deal but it was so worth it. He's an all time favorite

He really is, but I think he should consider hanging them up for his own sake. I can't imagine him going through another season where he gets injured 15 times. He had 22 points in 47 games, it's not like he's lighting the world on fire either.

He can join Backstrom on LTIR and cheer on Ovi from the crowd when's about to hit 895.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Nothing to be ashamed of. Hell I didn't believe the Caps would even sniff the playoffs and be a bottom five before the season. When you lose to the Arizona twice dramatically and lose the season series games to Ottawa this is the outcome to expect. Let's not forget the OT games like with 3 seconds left in OT earlier in the season. Get Ovy to 30 and watch the tourney and hope Hershey has another run Please no more reclamation projects and give the time to younger players. Eating nachos isn't the answer either. Let them play! I'm not sure about you guys and gals, but being limited to so many games a year with ESPN+ and the current OT format is a deal breaker. They should just create another division and do away with wildcard too. Too many teams in this league and it's ran by a clown. Hell, at this point do what the NBA does. Right now this league is a big joke. This team simply over achieved and ran out of gas while getting complacent listening to their own media. Let's not forget Alan May last weekend, "The Islanders are done!". That is the stuff that gets me more than play results. Games need to be played and actions prove more than words.

it's true. and I'm so bummed that he's not gonna be around to mentor Leonard.

Make him an assistant coach!

Worst case scenario, no ovi goals and we got a loser point.

I want to see Ovy break the record more than ever now. I want to see a lot of butthurt fans on the mains and Canadian media.

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
He really is, but I think he should consider hanging them up for his own sake. I can't imagine him going through another season where he gets injured 15 times. He had 22 points in 47 games, it's not like he's lighting the world on fire either.

He can join Backstrom on LTIR and cheer on Ovi from the crowd when's about to hit 895.
As others have said, it does seem like this season is his last ride, 1K games, Stanley Cup. Not much else to chase. Would like to see him in the playoffs again but I'm obviously not holding my breath. Just gonna enjoy these last few games

Reactions: Rockingred12

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
As others have said, it does seem like this season is his last ride, 1K games, Stanley Cup. Not much else to chase. Would like to see him in the playoffs again but I'm obviously not holding my breath. Just gonna enjoy these last few games

The only reason I could see him giving a shot next season is because of his contract. Otherwise, I think you're right. If his contract expired at the end of this year, he 100% would retire.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Oh look, we lost 3v3 with Carlson on the ice AGAIN. He's the glue for red tank. Thanks JC74
I would need to watch a replay, but I am pretty sure in OT:

We gained possession behind the net. Carlson tried to clear it along the boards (which makes no f***ing sense in 3v3 OT, but Carlson is a moron).

Ottawa as a result of that regained possession and 30 seconds later scored a goal.

Reactions: notDkristich

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
I would need to watch a replay, but I am pretty sure in OT:

We gained possession behind the net. Carlson tried to clear it along the boards (which makes no f***ing sense in 3v3 OT, but Carlson is a moron).

Ottawa as a result of that regained possession and 30 seconds later scored a goal.

I'd confirm with a rewatch but espn plus was real bad tonight. the 1st 'big save' chuckie made tonight was b/c JC74 made another bonehead decision leading to the chance. i'm tired of this 1 brain cell idiot on skates. i will buy the bar when this idiot is done playing hockey, b/c he has no athleticism to make up for his mistakes anymore.

Reactions: PlushMinus

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
1712543594068.gif

My game puck goes to Hendrix Lapierre for a slick apple and an even slicker 90% xG share. Honorable mentions to TVR and Sonny Milano.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
Just got back from the game. I think Patches knew we were talking about him and decided to put one in (off a nice pass). Not scoring on the 5on3 PP was also a big turning point in the game. The other thing that stuck out to me like a sore thumb was faceoffs. They couldn't win an important one to save their lives tonight and it seriously limited their offensive possession time. They lost the faceoff in OT and never even had a chance to touch the puck. I guess that goes with having such young centers, but Dowd and Strome didn't help either.

With the point, we are still in the playoff hunt, but hope is fading.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
I keep hearing Denny Greene in my head. “They are who we THOUGHT they were!”

At the end of the day I know most of us are happy with the progress made, winning more games than we could have imagined. Watching Carbs figure it out, seems to be a great coach. Just don’t have the horses to pull the cart consistently.

This season still surpassed expectations which is a breath of fresh air for this organization, of which has consistently underachieved.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I'd confirm with a rewatch but espn plus was real bad tonight. the 1st 'big save' chuckie made tonight was b/c JC74 made another bonehead decision leading to the chance. i'm tired of this 1 brain cell idiot on skates. i will buy the bar when this idiot is done playing hockey, b/c he has no athleticism to make up for his mistakes anymore.
The problem I have is not giving the older guys like Carlson a game off here and there so they can rest, or reduce his minutes in games where the Caps can afford to spell him a little bit.

I think over the last few (awful) games we are seeing fatigue. Physical for the older players and maybe more mental for the younger guys who've never played this much at the highest level of the game.

Lindgren is also very likely exhausted - physically and mentally.

Even IF the team makes the playoffs, they are going to be running on fumes.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I obviously didn't watch the game or else I would have commented on here. Can't score enough goals, then you aint gonna win games! 2-man advantage lost this game. A bit iffy what Lindgren saw from his vantage point, as he was beat with a long wrist shot in OT(just telling it how I see from the highlight clip)?

I'm gonna bring it up once again, to me something about Carbery's system seems to just stifle too much offense. Honestly don't remember how he coached in his Hershey stint of, I think 3 seasons. He was the Leafs PP coach, but Leafs still executes a very good PP despite Carbery no longer being there(maybe the talent has something more to do with it?).

I feel Carbs might be cheating a bit to how the team is learning from him. Caps play conservative in regard to being aggressive offensively, but I feel the team throughout the season has had too much a mentality of playing not to lose. It's kind of the prevent defense in the NFL.

Yes overall the Caps are one of the older teams in the league, but to me that older age factor is one of many, as to why the team hasn't scored more goals. I feel throughout the season the Caps have been too selective on shots on goal. You need to score more goals, then you simplify your approach getting more shots on goal and not worry so much about quality. More shots and more of a direct approach going towards the net. One thing I have noticed from watching the team play, they don't create enough rebounds off the goalie to score on rebounds. POP(puck on the pad(leg) is a good way to create rebounds. It doesn't necessarily have to do so much needing to be a faster team. You practice shooting pucks off the goalies opposite side leg pad and change your angle of how you come attacking for the rebound. This team lacks it for sure. Also shots up high around the shoulders of the goalie can create unpredictable rebounds that even the goalies own d-men can't always read correctly to collect and get out of harms way. 3rd, shoot from areas of the ice that metrics say there is low percentage of goal scoring from. It goes back to shooting less quality of shots from different angles, but that doesn't mean it's still a bad quality shot to create a rebound!

Maybe Carbs system will work better with more of players that fit his system, and young talent with better offensive upside will help for sure. Once you better your team in that regard, what then if the scoring problems from this first season still exist? Carbs/Love are rookie coaches, so they are absolutely making mistakes in their first season. But will they learn from those mistakes in the coming season?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The problem I have is not giving the older guys like Carlson a game off here and there so they can rest, or reduce his minutes in games where the Caps can afford to spell him a little bit.

I think over the last few (awful) games we are seeing fatigue. Physical for the older players and maybe more mental for the younger guys who've never played this much at the highest level of the game.

Lindgren is also very likely exhausted - physically and mentally.

Even IF the team makes the playoffs, they are going to be running on fumes.
Lindgren for sure is fatigued both mentally/physically. He's never played this many games for one team before. In 6 combined seasons with 2 teams(Habs/Blues), Lindgren played a total of 29 games(24 with the Habs, 5 with the Blues). Almost finished on 2 seasons with the Caps playing so far 75 games(31 last season, and so far 44 this season). You can do offseason training to handle playing more in a season, but mentally you still have to experience playing more(with mistakes to learn from) to better handle playing on coming seasons with a heavier workload.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Many seasons now. Different coaches, different personnel, Every other team can enter the zone easily on the PP. Caps can't do it at all. Make it make sense.
Carlson has been skating in quicksand for the last five seasons and Ovi can't stick handle to save his life anymore. When your two guys on the point on the PP have no speed and can't stick handle you're going to struggle to gain the line. They're also the mainstays over the past several seasons while others pieces and parts have changed. Pretty obvious at this point and other teams know it so they press them to make poor decisions.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Honestly the battle for the wild card in the East is so embarrassing that the team that succeeds should gracefully withdraw from the playoffs

Reactions: StrikingDistance

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
What a dud. Worst-case scenario. This would have been my order.

1) Impressive beatdown. 2 points.

2) Both teams play well, Caps come out on top. 2 points.

3) Suck but still grab the 2 points because the Sens suck more.

4) Lose for the tank, Ovi on the board. 0 points.

5) Lose for the tank. 0 points for Caps and no points for Ovi, no injuries.

6) Lose for the tank, someone gets banged up, 0 points.

7) Suck but still pick up a point because the Sens suck too. 1 point, no injuries.

8) Suck like you've never sucked before, but pick up a point because the Sens suck too. Ovi held off the board. Lose Sandin through injury, Wilson banged up.

This falls into the 8) for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad