GDT: Cap v ott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
The problem I have is not giving the older guys like Carlson a game off here and there so they can rest, or reduce his minutes in games where the Caps can afford to spell him a little bit.
I think over the last few (awful) games we are seeing fatigue. Physical for the older players and maybe more mental for the younger guys who've never played this much at the highest level of the game.
Lindgren is also very likely exhausted - physically and mentally.
I agree completely. Carlson has 2nd highest TOI in the entire league! And while he has the experience and confidence of a veteran and a champion, the pressure on him as the only good defenseman and a major point scorer on a very mediocre team is far greater than it is for the young guys. He's overloaded as hell, and honestly I think it's one of Carbery's learning experiences.
Even IF the team makes the playoffs, they are going to be running on fumes.
I don't think it matters much.
Yes, the guys won't be a serious threat in the playoffs, even winning a couple of PO games will be a success. Yes, they will have to play against a much better team. But all that pressure of a tough season will be completely gone if they make it.
And the young guys can't always 'learn from mistakes', they also need a success to learn from. Grinding out a goal of making the playoffs would be a big success and a very positive basis for the next season.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
At least the Carbs post-game pressers are on point.

ps the speed in which he exited the arena last night in disgust was faster than some of our players in the 3rd. haha

Reactions: troyerlaw

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Right now hes basically Cody Eakin, but not as good at faceoffs or defense. He’s less frustrating when expectations are managed
Probably important to remember that these are really young players who in some cases were thrown into important and difficult roles earlier than expected. It’s not surprising to see some of them hitting a wall.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Probably important to remember that these are really young players who in some cases were thrown into important and difficult roles earlier than expected. It’s not surprising to see some of them hitting a wall.
Exactly. And it's what we wanted - well, it's what I wanted anyway.

You can't win in the NHL without young, relatively inexpensive players who have speed, skill, high work rates and good hockey IQ. I think McMichael and Protas clearly have high work rates, and Pro's hockey IQ is good - but whether their speed and skill have already topped out or have some more room to grow is what we need to find out, and you can't find it out without playing them. I think they need to show material progress in those areas next year, but we've seen enough to know they're worth keeping and playing next season.

I think Lappy has all the tools - the big worry is he would be pushed around due to his size, but he's been navigating that this year. So that's a big discovery. Still too early on Miro, but there's a lot of promise there. And I think Malenstyn (he's young adjacent) has everything you'd want in a 4th liner.

So that's a lot of data we've gotten on 5 young forwards - nearly half the forward corp we ice. If you had told me at the beginning of the year that this many young forwards would be getting regular playing time and giving us a ton of information about what they can do and what needs improvement, and that we'd still be competing for a playoff spot in April - I would not have believed you.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
The deployment of players n the PP was laughable.

The five on three essentially ended the game last night.

View attachment 847954

My game puck goes to Hendrix Lapierre for a slick apple and an even slicker 90% xG share. Honorable mentions to TVR and Sonny Milano.
This guy is the best player on the team now. He should be on n PP1, and play top line minutes.

Only reason Patches scores is because Jimi put it on an absolute tee for him.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Guys, look at the positive sight. Caps are playing playoff hockey since 2-3 weeks. Important games against Detroit, Pittsburgh, Sabres, Philadelphia. :sarcasm:

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
So the Caps can beat Winnipeg and Carolina but they can't handle Ottawa :(

Caps can beat Winnipeg and Carolina when they're dead tired on the back of a b2b game.. and that too barely win. Winnipeg for all intents and purposes should have won that game, they outskated this old and slow team and hit the iron like 5 times. If they had to play them with some rest in between they'd get blown out of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad