Salary Cap: Cap rising: 80-82 million next year (multiple sources)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Personally I hope Seattle/Houston get a team soon too, lol, if it causes another explosion in the cap. Relocate or get a team to Quebec City too, please.

$95 million dollar cap, here we come, choo-choo. Another side effect is you're going to have low budget teams desperate for high cap/low salary contracts, like a Milan Lucic in a few years, so that's good for us too.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If we waited until this off season to trade Eberle there would have been more teams interested with the cap going up. We'd have a 50+ point RW for another year and we might have gotten a better return then Strome.
or maybe McLellan had Eberle sitting in the PB after 5 NHL games netting us minimal or negative return. who knows.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
I don't think it's fair to compare the McDavid and Draisaitl contracts. Reason being that Draisaitl will get more of his money from his contract, where as McDavid is the new face of the NHL and stands to make an absolute killing in endorsement deals. Draisaitl isn't the face of anything, not in North America at least.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
The future just got brighter, only problem is that I don't trust Chia to not throw the extra money away on garbage players like he has already.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Other way around the way RNH is playing this season, in my opinion.
Didn't think I had to explain this.

If Ebs was still on the team, both players would still suck. Ebs had to be traded in order for RNH return to form. Trading Ebs was good for both players. Whether Chia got something back for Ebs is another story.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would have traded Eberle as he was a poor fit and not playing well with anyone here anymore, but I would've made a deal with Nashville-Vegas for Neal to end up here. Vegas can have Eberle, Nashville can have a pick/prospect thrown in as a bonus. I also don't really understand why we looked off Thomas Vanek.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I hope this is true but I will point out it is common for the initial cap announcements/reports to be higher than they actually end up being.

80 mill is a lot more than I was expecting and certainly helps toward keeping some players around. Namely Nuge since he is playing so beastly and hopefully continues to improve.

I actually think the Oil should move on from Maroon unless he wants to take a discount. Great player with McDavid but literally no one else. So many times this year McDavid/Drai made him look great and his good/great play inbetween those gifts is waaaaay too far.

EDIT: It will be very interesting how this plays out. IF the cap goes up to 80+ and IF Chiarelli signs some of his many players requiring contracts to some low dollar contracts... He really "could" end up looking very good, at least in terms of cap management. All speculation right now but that 80-82 number is potentially huge for the Oilers if it actually pans out.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad