Salary Cap: Cap rising: 80-82 million next year (multiple sources)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
But that's the point, the only negotiation here was the length of the contract. McDavid dictated the price the entire way.

I'm sure you largely agree with this but you don't play games with the 20 year old league MVP.
It's not playing games, its negotiations. You can't tell me that Ovechkin or Crosby didn't have actual negotiations.

It's not playing games, its the business of hockey. It's not insulting to try and negotiate a lower contract. Its insulting to fans and the rest of the league that Chia didn't do didly squat and McDavid had to ASK for less cause he felt f***ing guilty. Then Drai saw how easy it was to get a big pay day out of Chia and low and behold he did.

He further showed his lack of negotiation skills with Russell 4x4mill is a bit of an overpay but movable. Untill you add the NMC on top of that.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
It's not playing games, its negotiations. You can't tell me that Ovechkin or Crosby didn't have actual negotiations.

It's not playing games, its the business of hockey. It's not insulting to try and negotiate a lower contract. Its insulting to fans and the rest of the league that Chia didn't do didly squat and McDavid had to ASK for less cause he felt ****ing guilty. Then Drai saw how easy it was to get a big pay day out of Chia and low and behold he did.

He further showed his lack of negotiation skills with Russell 4x4mill is a bit of an overpay but movable. Untill you add the NMC on top of that.

I have no clue what your talking about in regards to Ovie and Crosby.

Crosby signed almost the same amount of % of the cap, and Ovie was even a higher %.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I have no clue what your talking about in regards to Ovie and Crosby.

Crosby signed almost the same amount of % of the cap, and Ovie was even a higher %.
Ovechkin is in talks to be the best goal scorer of all time, he could of made more.
Crosby as well.
McDavid is incredible but not even close to what those players were in their primes when their contracts were signed.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Ovechkin is in talks to be the best goal scorer of all time, he could of made more.
Crosby as well.
McDavid is incredible but not even close to what those players were in their primes when their contracts were signed.

Crosby 2nd contract was 17.8% of cap
Ovie 2nd contract was 16.82% of cap

MacDavid was 16.87% of cap

Not sure you even understand the salary cap

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Crosby 2nd contract was 17.8% of cap
Ovie 2nd contract was 16.82% of cap

MacDavid was 16.87% of cap

Not sure you even understand the salary cap
I don't know who MacDavid is.

Yes and what I am saying is...
When Ovechkin signed he had a 106 point season a 92 point season and was in the middle of a 56 goal season.
Crosby just had a 102 and a 120 point season. They were better than McDavid is now when they signed.

McDavids contract will be fine overall, its the fact that Chia didn't even negotiate.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I don't know who MacDavid is.

Yes and what I am saying is...
When Ovechkin signed he had a 106 point season a 92 point season and was in the middle of a 56 goal season.
Crosby just had a 102 and a 120 point season. They were better than McDavid is now when they signed.

McDavids contract will be fine overall, its the fact that Chia didn't even negotiate.

You know that Ovi and Crosby were playing in a higher scoring era, right?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

It's not playing games, its the business of hockey. It's not insulting to try and negotiate a lower contract. Its insulting to fans and the rest of the league that Chia didn't do didly squat and McDavid had to ASK for less cause he felt ****ing guilty. Then Drai saw how easy it was to get a big pay day out of Chia and low and behold he did.

Crosby signed a 5 year contract(read - right to UFA status) and Ovechkin's contract was like 100k off of the league max at the time.

In any case, I'm not trying to defend Chia's negotiating skills in general, if that wasn't clear.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Crosby as well.
How were Crosby and Ovechkin "much better" in their primes?

Relative to his peers McDavid had about as good of a regular season as Ovechkin and Crosby ever have... ran away with the scoring title and MVP.

No player scores 120 points anymore, in fact rest of the league hasn't been hitting 90 points.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
It doesnt matter if anyone was any better.
Crosby took 8.7M instead of 10 Max
Ovie took 9.5M instead of 10 Max
McDavid took 12.5M instead of 15 Max

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You know that Ovi and Crosby were playing in a higher scoring era, right?
Crosby signed after the 2006-2007 season. 5.44 goals scored per game
The 2015-2016 year (last one I could find) was 5.45 goals scored per game.

It's a similar scoring era. Difference is the high end guys score a bit less and the lower end guys score a bit more.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Posters are really complaining about McDavid's salary?

This is why we can't have nice things.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

It's a similar scoring era. Difference is the high end guys score a bit less and the lower end guys score a bit more.

Goals per game per team in 2006-07 was 2.95. Last year was 2.77. That adds up to 15 fewer goals per team.

While we're comparing high end vs low end, in 2006-07 there were 7 guys with 100+ points and 7 more with 90+ points. When Ovechkin signed in 08, there were 2 100+ guys and 6 90 point guys. Last year McDavid was the only player to crack 90 points. So yeah, I'm not sure how you make the case Crosby and Ovi were better than McDavid when they signed when he was head and shoulders above the pack last year.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011

Dunno where you got those numbers, but they are incorrect.

NHL League Averages | Hockey-Reference.com

Goal scoring was higher in 06-07, but the main reason why more points were scored by the top players was that there were 50% more powerplays than in 16-17. Crosby had 50% of his points in powerplay. Relative to their peers, McDavid had just as dominant of a season as Crosby in 06-07.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This does help RNH remain an Oiler but just makes the Eberle trade look even worse.
Eberle’s play in the first two years that Chiarelli and Mclellan were here, especially the post season, is the reason he isn’t an Oiler anymore. Those two made it more than clear they wanted players to prove they wanted to be here. He disappeared when the rest of the players were improving. Eberle was gone regardless of what the cap was going to be. Chiarelli wanted him off the team so he could start building the team he wants. So many of you don’t get that this team isn’t a finished product yet. It doesn’t happen overnight and sometimes the team takes a step back. Everybody thought teams like Winnipeg and Tampa Bay we’re finished because they had poor seasons last year and now they’ve taken off. With the cap increasing I see a similar situation for us next year.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Judging by the logic in this thread Mcdavid should have only signed for 8.5 milllion because he doesn’t have consecutive 100 point seasons in 2017. Even though 11 years ago the cap was 30 million less and more PP’s were being called. Makes sense....

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Fire Chiarelli and McLellan in April if the team does not make the playoffs and let a new GM take over, and hopefully we can land a coach like Joel Quennville, if not, Alain Vingeault would also be good.

A new coach is going to be required to get more out of the roster we have and a better GM is needed to have a better vision behind building the wings, bottom six, and defence of this group (still not good enough).

$80 million cap would be great for the Oilers, but I would still recommend not doing something stupid and spending recklessly. If you can't get Maroon locked in to a reasonable extension I would overpay on a 1-year term for a UFA option like Perron maybe.

The worst thing we could do next summer is sign someone else to a 5-6 year deal off the UFA market. Don't do it.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Judging by the logic in this thread Mcdavid
should have only signed for 8.5 milllion because he doesn’t have consecutive 100 point seasons in 2017. Even though 11 years ago the cap was 30 million less and more PP’s were being called. Makes sense....
Nothing wrong with McDavid offensively. He'll have another at least a top 3 scoring finish this year if he's healthy and would still be my pick for the Art Ross.

He has room to improve defensively though. His defensive game hasn't been very strong this year at all. I think it's because the Oilers are so desperate to win games and score goals that it's easy for these young players to start cherry picking and cheating a little for offense. Same applies to Draisaitl.

It's not that those two are even close to being the problem with the team, but those are things that need to be fixed if this team wants to be a serious SC contender.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You could have had McDavid at $11 per most likely, but not for the full 8 years.

It would've been for 5 years.

I think you can kinda argue the pros/cons there, because likely after year 5, you are looking at paying him $14-15 mill per.

It looks to me like the cap is going to hit $90 million and a lot sooner than people thought. If the cap is already $80 million in McDavid's 1st year, I think going for the full 8 years was actually the correct move.

Though I would've pushed harder on Connor and Leon to drop the damn extra $500k. Do you really need $12.5 mill vs. $12 mill ... them giving up $500k each can mean keeping an extra player like a Maroon or someone.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Maroon [4,000,000] - McDavid [12,500,000] - xxxxxxxxxxxx
Lucic [6,000,000] - Draisaitl [8,500,000] - Yamamoto [925,000]
xxxxxxxxxxx - Nugent-Hopkins [6,000,000] - Puljujarvi [2,744,000]
Khaira [700,000] - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Kassian [1,950,000]

Klefbom [4,167,000] - Larsson [4,176,000]
Nurse [3,500,000] - Benning/other
Sekera [5,500,000] - Russell [4,000,000]

Talbot [4,167,000[
Brossoit [700,000]

Pouliot 1.33

Caggiula, Letestu, Slepyshev??

If you re-signed Maroon to 4M, Nurse to around 3.5 we have about 10M in cap to work with. I'd like to see us try to get James Neal and sign him.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
You could have had McDavid at $11 per most likely, but not for the full 8 years.

It would've been for 5 years.

I think you can kinda argue the pros/cons there, because likely after year 5, you are looking at paying him $14-15 mill per.

It looks to me like the cap is going to hit $90 million and a lot sooner than people thought. If the cap is already $80 million in McDavid's 1st year, I think going for the full 8 years was actually the correct move.

Though I would've pushed harder on Connor and Leon to drop the damn extra $500k. Do you really need $12.5 mill vs. $12 mill ... them giving up $500k each can mean keeping an extra player like a Maroon or someone.

At the end of the day, we had no leverage on Connor... the only thing Chia could fight for was term... and he got it... under the max. The suggestion that there was $500K left on the table is out of touch with reality.

With Drai, I think Chia pre-empted an offer sheet... maybe there was some room left there however.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
At the end of the day, we had no leverage on Connor... the only thing Chia could fight for was term... and he got it... under the max. The suggestion that there was $500K left on the table is out of touch with reality.

With Drai, I think Chia pre-empted an offer sheet... maybe there was some room left there however.

I would've tried anyway, maybe he did, I dunno. I would've said "look kid, the 500k is not really going to change your quality of life but it could help us keep a player like Patrick Maroon, and $12 per is still the highest in the league by a good buffer".

I mean it's logically hard to argue against.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I would've tried anyway, maybe he did, I dunno. I would've said "look kid, the 500k is not really going to change your quality of life but it could help us keep a player like Patrick Maroon, and $12 per is still the highest in the league by a good buffer".

I mean it's logically hard to argue against.

Maybe he did that because Connor started at $13M? If the final signing was $12M, then people would have said he should have gotten $11.5M. There is no "win" for Chia in this scenario.

$12.5M for 8 yrs was the best available deal for Connor - not worth arguing about it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad