Salary Cap: Cap rising: 80-82 million next year (multiple sources)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
As per Bettman. That's a game changer. Suddenly every contract looks a lot better and there will be room to add next year.

RNH definitely remains an Oiler.

That makes me a happy man since he's finally playing the way that he should be.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This does help RNH remain an Oiler but just makes the Eberle trade look even worse.
Eberle was done under McLellan. He trusted him as much (little) as Pouliot by the end of last season.
Should have dumped Ebs and gone after someone like Radulov with that cap space..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Eberle was done under McLellan. He trusted him as much (little) as Pouliot by the end of last season.
Should have dumped Ebs and gone after someone like Radulov with that cap space..
Radulov while a talented player and scorer, is imo a grade A idiot that costs your team at the worst time. He's perfect for Dallas, a sublime collection of talented players that go absolutely nowhere and refuse to play system or defense. The picture perfect club for any team to face in the first round the rare chance Dallas even gets there.

Oh, went off tangent there but just to say Radulov is perfect for Dallas. I don't want MORE idiots connected with Edmonton pro sports teams.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The Oilers really should have assumed the Cap would rise from to $80-82M when offseason planning this past year.

Seriously? Then if it doesn't we end up being forced to move out players like RNH? That said if this is how things are looking, then Chia should have a better idea of what he can do moving forward.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Seriously? Then if it doesn't we end up being forced to move out players like RNH? That said if this is how things are looking, then Chia should have a better idea of what he can do moving forward.
He can sign Maroon to a 6 million contract :P

This will be a blessing in disguise I have to think.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It was sarcasm Bryan, based on a lot of responses. It is a nice thought, though, that the team could afford Nuge going forward especially with him playing well.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I'd be more excited about this if we didn't suck again, but it's obviously good news for the team.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Am I supposed to be excited for this?

Chia will just give Maroon $5-6 million. Nurse $5+. Etc etc.. RNH still goes I bet.

I would be excited if I had any confidence in Chia managing a salary cap and roster.

Reactions: Consultant

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Am I supposed to be excited for this?

Chia will just give Maroon $5-6 million. Nurse $5+. Etc etc.. RNH still goes I bet.

I would be excited if I had any confidence in Chia managing a salary cap and roster.
If anything, it will be like 7 for Maroon for 6 years and Nurse will get 6.5 for 6, then Caggiula will get 5 just for fun. This how this works, right guys?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Well thats what contract negotiations are.

Players says "Im worth 12.5"
Team goes, "You are worth 9"
Then they settle in the middle.

McDavid went "Im worth 12"
Chia went "You are worth 14!!!"
McDavid goes... "Uhhh...just give me 12.5"
I agree, assuming this is much a better narrative then thinking of anything else.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Well thats what contract negotiations are.

Players says "Im worth 12.5"
Team goes, "You are worth 9"
Then they settle in the middle.

McDavid went "Im worth 12"
Chia went "You are worth 14!!!"
McDavid goes... "Uhhh...just give me 12.5"

This one I think is fairly simple:

McDavid: I was thinking about a 5 year contract
Chia: If you sign for 8 you can name your price.
McDavid: Then I want 12.5M
Chia: Okay.

Draisaitl is a different can of worms. I really like and believe in him but it's hard to argue his contract was a justifiable price relative to his comparables.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This one I think is fairly simple:

McDavid: I was thinking about a 5 year contract
Chia: If you sign for 8 you can name your price.
McDavid: Then I want 12.5M
Chia: Okay.

Draisaitl is a different can of worms. I really like and believe in him but it's hard to argue his contract was a justifiable price relative to his comparables.
I remember in the press conference Chia straight up said that McDavid told Chia to give him a bit less. Like Chia offered more than 12.5 and McDavid said...ughh I'll take less.

I feel like Chia messed up by doing McDavids contract before Draisaitls. I feel like it heavily inflated it.

Reactions: Consultant

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Its out there that McDavid was ready to sign 14M contract, and felt guilty about that much so decided on 12.5M

Like seriously what were the Oilers suppose to do with the best player in the game? Sit him? Only pay him 10?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Its out there that McDavid was ready to sign 14M contract, and felt guilty about that much so decided on 12.5M

Like seriously what were the Oilers suppose to do with the best player in the game? Sit him? Only pay him 10?
Haven't you seen the thread, they were supposed to say what they were worth and the players are supposed to accept that and sign whatever is put in front of them, like, you know, negotiations.

Reactions: hugeegosorry

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I remember in the press conference Chia straight up said that McDavid told Chia to give him a bit less. Like Chia offered more than 12.5 and McDavid said...ughh I'll take less.

I feel like Chia messed up by doing McDavids contract before Draisaitls. I feel like it heavily inflated it.

But that's the point, the only negotiation here was the length of the contract. McDavid dictated the price the entire way.

I'm sure you largely agree with this but you don't play games with the 20 year old league MVP.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Even if he signed for 15 million I don't think many people here would complain. He's on pace again for close to 100 points and I doubt all the players ahead of him can keep their pace up. Within the next few seasons you will see lesser players then Mcdavid signing in the 11-12 million dollar range.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If we waited until this off season to trade Eberle there would have been more teams interested with the cap going up. We'd have a 50+ point RW for another year and we might have gotten a better return then Strome.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad