Speculation: Cap problem who goes?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Detroit and Pittsburgh managed last year. Here's one example of how the Flyers could do it this year. Hagg and Straka would be sent back to the AHL giving us $1.85 million in cap room, enough to call up PEB and Lauridsen for a 23 man roster and still have $650K in cap space.

FORWARDS
Brayden Schenn ($2.500m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
R.J. Umberger ($4.600m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Michael Raffl ($1.100m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Daniel Winnik ($1.650m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Petr Straka ($0.925m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($2.000m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Chris Pronger ($4.941m) / Robert Hagg ($0.925m)
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Ray Emery ($1.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$345,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $73,924,762; BONUSES: $1,712,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): -$4,924,762

not to mention...we still have Rosehill who is dirt cheap so we can start the season with him as well. Then dump him once we LTIR CP

Edit...and Nashville just signed Olli J so Vinny to the Preds seems unlikely.

sallahoose

May 13, 2014
When does andy mcdonalds raise kick in....whats the actual date ? The flyers have to make some sort of movement to fit his raise, correct? They already over the cap with his 500k hit or did it already kick in?

sallahoose

May 13, 2014
They don't have to be cap compliant until the end of training camp.

Ok thanks. But that still technically means someone HAS to go, right? They can start the season with 2-way guys under until they can LTIR pronger, but i still dont think that little bit will bring them under... There is plenty of time until then, but someone does have to go I assume.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If they trade Grossmann for a pick they would be $150K under the cap with Rosehill-Laughton-Rinaldo as the 4th line.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Everyone knows VLC to Nashville discussion, but I was wondering you're guy's take.

Say Poile went the route of taking on the full contract, is there absolutely anyway we could get another good player as a toss in for us to take it? Obviously, the Preds will give back the appropriate amount.

I know this will get shot down but what will be going back the other way for us to take VLC in full + Brayden Schenn?

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Everyone knows VLC to Nashville discussion, but I was wondering you're guy's take.

Say Poile went the route of taking on the full contract, is there absolutely anyway we could get another good player as a toss in for us to take it? Obviously, the Preds will give back the appropriate amount.

I know this will get shot down but what will be going back the other way for us to take VLC in full + Brayden Schenn?

Not even close.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Does Nashville even want him? Didn't they just sign Ollie Jokinen?

I agree with another poster who said it will be difficult to find a taker for Lecavalier. The Islander might want him, because they seem like they would be happy to have anyone be willing to play for them, but would Vinnie even go there?

If the Flyers can unload Vinnie, I think we need to take on some of the salary or accept something like a lesser salary dump coming our way. I don't see anyone being willing to part with anything valuable.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

I'd consider Forsberg+1st for VL+Schenn, but I'd likely still say no, but that's what you're looking at if you want to give me pause.

Probably wouldn't make sense for you guys either.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Josi or Jones.

Our weakness is at LW and top pairing D. You have no LW worth Schenn. That leaves your D. But Josi is worth more. So we add LSchenn. But now you need to add. Give us Wilson for a 3rd line C.
So Schenn, Schenn and Vinny for Josi and Wilson.

Last edited:

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Josi or Jones.

Our weakness is at LW and top pairing D. You have no LW worth Schenn. That leaves your D. But Josi is worth more. So we add LSchenn. But now you need to add. Give us Wilson for a 3rd line C.
So Schenn, Schenn and Vinny for Josi and Wilson.

We have Forsberg, doubt we would move him but he does play either wing. Would rather move him then our big 3

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Does Nashville even want him? Didn't they just sign Ollie Jokinen?

I agree with another poster who said it will be difficult to find a taker for Lecavalier. The Islander might want him, because they seem like they would be happy to have anyone be willing to play for them, but would Vinnie even go there?

If the Flyers can unload Vinnie, I think we need to take on some of the salary or accept something like a lesser salary dump coming our way. I don't see anyone being willing to part with anything valuable.

Ollie will most likely be playing wing on our 2nd or 3rd line

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Ollie will most likely be playing wing on our 2nd or 3rd line

How is your cap situation? I don't see Nashville wanting to add that salary. I am sure you are not at the cap ceiling, but I picture Nashville as a team that would not like to spend to the ceiling if it can help it.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
Isn't Vinny for Gaustad a nice clean deal that works for both teams? Does it need to get more complicated than that?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Isn't Vinny for Gaustad a nice clean deal that works for both teams? Does it need to get more complicated than that?

It would save Philly 1.5 mill. I think we would much rather do it for a pick then spend 1-2 mill on a 3rd/4th liner

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
It would save Philly 1.5 mill. I think we would much rather do it for a pick then spend 1-2 mill on a 3rd/4th liner

I agree, but people are talking about retaining salary on Vinny's contract in a potential trade, then using the tiny bit of cap relief to sign a 3rd or 4th line center. Why not just do both in one trade? Gaustad may be overpaid, but he's an awesome bottom six center.

I'd rather have Gaustad free and clear than Ott at a cumulative 3.5 (2.5 for him and 1 held on Vinny) and the Preds 3rd or 4th round pick.

I'm sure there's a better mix of picks, money and players, but the straight Gaustad trade seems better than a bunch of maneuvering for a lesser bottom sixer.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I agree, but people are talking about retaining salary on Vinny's contract in a potential trade, then using the tiny bit of cap relief to sign a 3rd or 4th line center. Why not just do both in one trade? Gaustad may be overpaid, but he's an awesome bottom six center.

I'd rather have Gaustad free and clear than Ott at a cumulative 3.5 (2.5 for him and 1 held on Vinny) and the Preds 3rd or 4th round pick.

I'm sure there's a better mix of picks, money and players, but the straight Gaustad trade seems better than a bunch of maneuvering for a lesser bottom sixer.

Lecavelier has not been traded because we won't retain salary(so far). Plus, I think we would rather a guy who's contract end in 2015 if we are downgrading in a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad