Speculation: Cap problem who goes?

Betts11

Dec 17, 2009
Cherry hill,NJ
Simmonds isn't going anywhere. I think they are banking on Vinny leaving and putting Pronger on LTIR. I could see them open to letting Grossmann go.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hey, u guys obviously have cap issues, first thought is out with Vinny. But if u can't trade him, who else could go and for what return?

Read?

Simmonds??

Thanks.

Why would we trade two of our most cost effective players?

Think along the lines of Grossmann or Lecavalier.

DrChill

Dec 28, 2010
FSJ BC
Simmonds isn't going anywhere. I think they are banking on Vinny leaving and putting Pronger on LTIR. I could see them open to letting Grossmann go.

Problem with LTIR for pronger is they need to be compliant before the season, then throw him on LTIR and have space.

Grossman. Interesting.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Vinny and Grossmann are the obvious choices. Read and Simmonds aren't going anywhere.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
It's gonna be Vinny that's going as cap relief.

No way do they get rid of simmonds, they wouldn't even trade the guy and he is far too valuable to the team.

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
For some odd reason I feel like Ottawa might want Lecavalier... Murray in his press conference yesterday said we could use another established NHL Centreman and said he had a trade almost done and was just waiting on the team in question to pick the prospect involved in the deal? Could something be done here? and would Philly be willing to retain some $?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
When a team is near the cap and they want to make some space they don't trade pieces of their core who are on fantastic contracts...

The Flyers will try to get rid of Lecavelier, Grossmann, or one of the other defenseman. There's no reason to think that they can't move one or more of these pieces, the only question is what is an acceptable return. Lecavelier is likely only still here because of his bonus, so since that's no longer an issue other teams will probably be more receptive to a trade or be willing to give back slightly more.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
For some odd reason I feel like Ottawa might want Lecavalier... Murray in his press conference yesterday said we could use another established NHL Centreman and said he had a trade almost done and was just waiting on the team in question to pick the prospect involved in the deal? Could something be done here? and would Philly be willing to retain some $?

Ottawa wouldn't be a bad landing spot for him. Plus, he's a Melnyk special. His actual salary is below his cap hit.

I'm pretty sure Vinny wanted to avoid a Canadian market, but he also expressed interest in going to the Panthers. So it's anyone's guess at this point.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm confident the Flyers could find a taker for Vinny without retaining salary. Even in an injury plagued season, while misused significantly, he still scored 20. You can't get a vet who produces like Vinny for significantly less then his current cap hit (Richards is looking for a cup). So maybe I could see them eating a mil but no more then that and since his cap hit is actually higher then his salary IIRC, I'm sure they could find a taker without retaining any (team not up against the cap).

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Well, if Read and Simmonds aren't going to be dealt for cap relief, the next obvious choice is Giroux. Maybe Morin or Laughton too.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hey, u guys obviously have cap issues, first thought is out with Vinny. But if u can't trade him, who else could go and for what return?

Read?

Simmonds??

Thanks.

They don't have to trade anyone, certainly not those two. The Flyers can start the season exceeding the cap by up to Pronger's cap hit if they choose to.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004

Read?

Simmonds??

Thanks.

Yeah...we are gonna get rid of Simmonds.....seriously? wtf.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
They don't have to trade anyone, certainly not those two. The Flyers can start the season exceeding the cap by up to Pronger's cap hit if they choose to.

The only problem is that they would operative the season with only what 600k? Correct me if I am wrong. Thats way too tight to go into the season with. One guy goes down we may be fine. Two and more and we have a problem.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Detroit and Pittsburgh managed last year. Here's one example of how the Flyers could do it this year. Hagg and Straka would be sent back to the AHL giving us $1.85 million in cap room, enough to call up PEB and Lauridsen for a 23 man roster and still have $650K in cap space.

FORWARDS
Brayden Schenn ($2.500m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
R.J. Umberger ($4.600m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Michael Raffl ($1.100m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Daniel Winnik ($1.650m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Petr Straka ($0.925m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($2.000m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Chris Pronger ($4.941m) / Robert Hagg ($0.925m)
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Ray Emery ($1.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$345,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $73,924,762; BONUSES: $1,712,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): -$4,924,762

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Detroit and Pittsburgh managed last year. Here's one example of how the Flyers could do it this year. Hagg and Straka would be sent back to the AHL giving us $1.85 million in cap room, enough to call up PEB and Lauridsen for a 23 man roster and still have $650K in cap space.

FORWARDS
Brayden Schenn ($2.500m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
R.J. Umberger ($4.600m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Michael Raffl ($1.100m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Daniel Winnik ($1.650m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Petr Straka ($0.925m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($2.000m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Chris Pronger ($4.941m) / Robert Hagg ($0.925m)
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Ray Emery ($1.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$345,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $73,924,762; BONUSES: $1,712,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): -$4,924,762

I'd be fine with this, but I highly doubt Winnik is taking a paycut to come here. Dude had the best year of his career and the cap just jumped about $5 million. He has a terrible agent if he takes a pay cut.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'd be fine with this, but I highly doubt Winnik is taking a paycut to come here. Dude had the best year of his career and the cap just jumped about $5 million. He has a terrible agent if he takes a pay cut.

They could get his cap hit up close to $2 million if they swap Laughton with PEB.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Mason first before Giroux. Seriously.

They should just trade next year's first rounder, that way we won't have to worry about being in this situation when he done with RFA status in about six or seven years or so. Can they buy out Eric Lindros or no?

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Here is part of the problem. Bottom feeding teams think that teams like the Flyers, Bruins, Hawks, and Wings who spent up to the cap in order to be competitive, are in cap trouble and that this is an opportunity to pry draft choices and/or money from them in a deal for quality players. Hexy and the other GMs will find ways to become cap compliant without doing either of these things. Then the carp of the NHL like the Preds can come and pay full price for the players that they need.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
Well at least Hexy is saying all the right things about feeling fine about standing pat, etc... if we are patient in trading Vinny we won't have to retain anything. He is still a great player... just needs to be at Center, and we don't have an opening there.

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Read and Simmonds are signed for cheap for what they bring to the table, they won't be moved. It will be Vinny. And if not him one of our many overpaid defenseman or moving Umberger.

Kuato

Aug 2, 2010
PA
Vinny needs to go, but this isn't fantasy hockey folks, you can't simply trade away people you want gone, there has to be interest in them. And at his age and price tag, finding someone who actually wants him is going to be tough. Trade him if you can, but be prepared to have him on the roster next year, and to move someone like Grossman if you can't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad