Speculation: Cap problem who goes?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I just can't wait till next year.

We have Kimmo coming off the books(although his bonus money will apply to our cap), we have Emery coming off again and Schultz as well. Rosehill will be a UFA and Rinaldo will be a RFA. I think they might both be gone. Chris Prongers salary might be an attractive contract for a bottom feeding team to take on to stay at the floor. The cap might rise close to 73 million or so depending on how much revenue the team makes.

The two biggest additions might be the young defenseman coming in. Ghost, Hagg, Morin and even Sanheim might be challenging for a spot. If two of those players make the roster we would be sitting pretty with the cap on our blue line. Grossmann/Streit/Macdonald(always a possibility) could be used as trade bait as well. Streit I would keep around though because he had an excellent year last year and proved he hasn't slowed like everyone said.

If Vinny is still with us after next year, after July 1st of next year his contract would be much better for a team that needs help offensively. 8.5 million in full salary with only 500K in bonuses there. That's a reasonable contract, it all would depend if he bounces back from his season last year. That would clear another 4.5 from our cap.

Hextall has work to do but being in a cap strapped position we were in this year is a blessing. No more horrible contracts given to free agents that we are looking to move the next year. Keep the young kids developing and they will produce more offensively. I would be willing to have one bad year if it unravels like that because the future of this team looks great with the young players coming in. Next year would be a great year for a top 15 pick as well with the talent there. Just need to be patient.

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
It maybe that Vinny will have to remain with the Flyers this year.
We may have to pay him top 6 money to center our 4th line for most of the year.
He might be attractive to a team at the trade deadline, this upcoming year.
Still think they should look into trading Grossmann if they can get a faster skating replacement for him.
No need for two slower Dmen on an average defense.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
If they can't trade Vinny they might have to wait until camp and see if a young d can step up and trade Grossmann then. Then Berube better play B. Schenn with G and leave Vinny as a center and see if he can bounce back at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad