News Article: Cap increased to $71mil (MTL will have $27.5)

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
There's no reason Eller would get 4M. NONE. He hasn't proved to be a consistent offensive guy in this league, and in the end, this is what makes your worth in contract negociations.

White might get an increase, but it's marginal if he gets any. Think maybe 200K.

Markov is not getting any younger. There's no chance he gets an increase. None. His wife makes as much as he does FFS. I'm sure if he gets security, he'll settle for less.

I think the odds are pretty strong that Markov will get an increase. His play and the market dictate this. If Subban is worth 8 mil as an RFA then Markov is worth close to 7 as a UFA. Phaneuf will get a long term deal for 7+, would you trade Markov for him?

Even there. If Bourque OR Gorges prevents Bergevin from acquiring the player he ultimately wants, we need a more creative GM...

It shouldn't. The Habs have a lot of guys they could move if they have to. The cap going up to 70 makes it much esaier to move DD Bourque or Briere if we had to. Plus, it's not just about the cap, it's also about contracts expiring, this past off season most teams were up against the cap by July 1st and a few others were as soon as the top 5-6 UFA's were signed.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I'm guessing you missed my post on how much Joe Sakic made in the late 90s and how many players were making over $10M per season before the lockout.

High contracts are not going to lead to a lockout. That's why we have a cap. They actually have very little to do with why there are lockouts. Did you see all of the money dropped for buyouts? Money still goes to those players. Also, stop looking at the CAP HIT and look at the actual salary paid to the player. Also when the cap goes up, the percentage of how much that contract is for the teams total cap money decreases. Pay more attention to that than if the number is merely higher.

You seem like a smart guy and yet you think the lockout wasn't about $$$ ? Hmmm ok then. Montreal is a phenomenon. We have overpriced tickets and overpriced beer and we still manage to sell out night in and night out yet our neighbors in our nations capitol who are only 2 hours drive away are having trouble filling their seats. Aside from a handful of teams the other teams are not doing so well.

We were on the verge of losing an entire year of hockey so that they could save $4M on the cap and the following year it was right back to $64M LMAO. What was the point? You can't have the cap going up every year. It just doesn't work. And guess what the salary cap didn't do **** to stop the league from going to a lock out 3 times in the past 20 years. What an embarrassment. It's clear something is not working.

What should I care how much a player makes? I don't pay his salary. The only thing I care about is how his cap hit affects the team. That's why Pacioretty's deal is so sweet. It was a good deal then and if the cap goes up again it looks like peanuts now.

Same for Subban. Bergevin can still break even from his gaff with Subban with the bridge contract fiasco. Say the rumor that Subban wanted 5x5 is true. At the end of 5yrs he might have asked upwards of $10-12M+ but if MB comes back and manages to sign Subban at 8x8 then the later years will look like a bargain as the cap goes up. Of course the times to sign Subban was before he won his Norris but hey hindsight and all of that.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
You seem like a smart guy and yet you think the lockout wasn't about $$$ ? Hmmm ok then.

It's not about max player salary. It's a combination of taking power away from players and average player salary.

Last lockout was also partially about stopping cap circumvention. We now have that with contract limits. Do you know what that means? Players have to be signed to a higher AAV. Everyone in the league knows this. Unfortunately, when hockey fans like yourself look at the numbers, you never look at the true numbers.

Take Ryan Suter today. People are freaking on Subban making $8.5M or $9M but if he makes $9M, he'll be paid $3M less than Ryan Suter. Wait what? Suter makes only $7.5! No, he makes $12M this year like last year, but next year makes $11M. Then he makes five years of $9M before finally dropping to $8M, then $6M and then even less. But for most of his contract he'll be making between $9M and $12M. But what you see is the $7.5M AAV cap hit.

Not only that, but do you understand why the cap is going up? Because the league and all 30 teams will make more money from their broadcasting contract. In other words, if the cap DIDN'T go up, that money would still be made by the OWNERS and none of it would goto the PLAYERS. Instead, since league revenues are going up, the cap is going up. That's all by AVERAGE. There are still teams that make diddly poo but that doesn't mean the league isn't making money.

The cap is going up because the league is going to make more money. That money has to go somewhere.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I think we should just offer another bridge contract to Subban at sub 3 million again. That would open the door to adding more players.

And then you were awakened by a hit to the head by a rolled up contract awarded by an arbitrator.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad