News Article: Cap going up to $78M-$82M next year

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Willi will be lucky to even get 6m per.

Atfer 1/3 of a season in his contract year, finding himself on the 4th line and with only 1 ES goal all season he is trending towards a bridge (2-3 year) deal as he currently is not comparing favorably to his comparables Pastrnak (14 goals 27 points) and Ehlers (13 goals 23 points) (from his draft class) who have both solidified themselves as top 6 players on their teams and making considerable offensive contributions to their teams success.

So Willie is going to need to have a strong final 2/3rds of this year, get himself back up into the top 6, and statistically hang with his comparables to get his own $6 mil AAV long term deal. He is currently on pace for 13 goals and 56 points, which is a decline in both goals and points from last year and not the type of numbers needed to get a 7-8 year deal at +$6 mil.

So still lots of season left for Nylander to secure himself as a primary scoring threat and consistent player among Leafs top forwards and get his PPG up to where he would have the stats and contribution to negotiate that Pastrnak/Ehlers type contracts for himself.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Atfer 1/3 of a season in his contract year, finding himself on the 4th line and with only 1 ES goal all season he is trending towards a bridge (2-3 year) deal as he currently is not comparing favorably to his comparables Pastrnak (14 goals 27 points) and Ehlers (13 goals 23 points) (from his draft class) who have both solidified themselves as top 6 players on their teams and making considerable offensive contributions to their teams success.

So Willie is going to need to have a strong final 2/3rds of this year, get himself back up into the top 6, and statistically hang with his comparables to get his own $6 mil AAV long term deal. He is currently on pace for 13 goals and 56 points, which is a decline in both goals and points from last year and not the type of numbers needed to get a 7-8 year deal at +$6 mil.

So still lots of season left for Nylander to secure himself as a primary scoring threat and consistent player among Leafs top forwards and get his PPG up to where he would have the stats and contribution to negotiate that Pastrnak/Ehlers type contracts for himself.

They won't bridge Willi,

They will plop a 5.75,6m x 7 take it or leave it offer.

IDK if anyone has noticed, we have a no nonsense front office now.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They won't bridge Willi,

If a long-term deal at $6 mil was on the table by management last summer than Nylander should have taken it like Ehlers took his as both had similar stats.

Maybe Lou Lam wasn't offering it last summer and wanted Nylander to prove after 2 full seasons at 60+ points he is worth that commitment. Now its on Willie to prove his case and the rising cap helps Leafs management.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Even if Nylander finishes with 56 points, that’s incredibly good for a sophomore NHLer.

Y’all aren’t paying attention to contract comparables around the league if you think Nylander getting under 6 million. And let’s not forget in his rookie season he had a relatively cold November then went near PPG after the Allstar break.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Even if Nylander finishes with 56 points, that’s incredibly good for a sophomore NHLer.

Y’all aren’t paying attention to contract comparables around the league if you think Nylander getting under 6 million. And let’s not forget in his rookie season he had a relatively cold November then went near PPG after the Allstar break.

OH idk menz pastrnak was only 20 last year and got 6.66 for a 34+36=70 season

not sure how a 21 year old 13g 55p gets him into the 6s.

ehlers just hit 6m with the same season WN had last year

whats ehlers on track for this season 35g ,,,,,,60 + p??

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

pasta's deal takes him to free agency quicker

rising cap will lead to upper-echelon players making more money

jets management had no idea what the cap was gonna be in the future

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Well first off, we don’t know where Nylander will be in terms of production yet this year, last season he scored at a higher rate during the second half than the fall too. And even if he ends up with say 56 points, that also doesn’t erase the 61 points he had as a rookie.

Pasta was given 6+ mil after just one good season. So yes, at the moment I’d say Nylander is comfortably heading into a contract that’s at least 6 million range.

And it also depends on how many years management wants. Pasta’s deal ends as soon as he hits free agency age, I’d expect the Leafs brass don’t want the same structure for Nylander

Reactions: Barilko14

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

if you go to cap friend and set the search perimeters to 5m to 6.75m cap hits, then look at his comparible ages 21 to 23

mackinnon at 6.3(#1c,better player),,, monahan 6.3(#1c,better player) ,,,ehlers 6 (better player),,,pastrnak 6.66(way better player),, barkov 5.9(#1c,better player) drouin 5.5 (#1c,on par),,,,,forsberg 6(better player)

I'd argue tougher to compare barkov/mackinnon,monahan since they being asked to play #1c

so ehlers,forsberg,drouin are the closest that i can see

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Well first off, we don’t know where Nylander will be in terms of production yet this year, last season he scored at a higher rate during the second half than the fall too. And even if he ends up with say 56 points, that also doesn’t erase the 61 points he had as a rookie.

Pasta was given 6+ mil after just one good season. So yes, at the moment I’d say Nylander is comfortably heading into a contract that’s at least 6 million range.

And it also depends on how many years management wants. Pasta’s deal ends as soon as he hits free agency age, I’d expect the Leafs brass don’t want the same structure for Nylander

forsberg when was same age as willi (last year) 26+37=63
when he was willis age this year 33+31=64

and those 2 seasons just got him 6 starting last season. So i don't see how a 13/18 goal season gets him into the 6s when all his compatibles in his age bracket are popping 30 s

at age 21 drouin just got 5.5m for a 21 x 32= 53 season and is now asked to be a #1C

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Pasta was given 6+ mil after just one good season. So yes, at the moment I’d say Nylander is comfortably heading into a contract that’s at least 6 million range. Pasta after 1 good season?? his seasons when he was only 18 and 19 look good to me.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
They won't bridge Willi,

The no nonsense front office signed Kadri to a 1 year show me deal before they gave him 6 years.

How are you paying Willy? As a center or winger? What is he? What is he to you? What is he to management?
Absolutely I can see 2 years as a center bridge before the next contract. Because unlike Matthews, he will need to show all over again moving to center. There is no large sample size.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
forsberg when was same age as willi (last year) 26+37=63
when he was willis age this year 33+31=64

and those 2 seasons just got him 6 starting last season. So i don't see how a 13/18 goal season gets him into the 6s when all his compatibles in his age bracket are popping 30 s

at age 21 drouin just got 5.5m for a 21 x 32= 53 season and is now asked to be a #1C

Because contracts aren’t just determined by goals, all points matter.

Foresbergs point production is similar to Nylander’s - though arguably most folks would point to both Elhers and Pasta as the two most recent best contract comparable, each of which point to Nylander getting six million. Drouin had a 32 point rookie season and still hasnt hit the 60 point barrier (something Nylander did as a rookie), so he’s not a great comparison.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The no nonsense front office signed Kadri to a 1 year show me deal before they gave him 6 years.

How are you paying Willy? As a center or winger? What is he? What is he to you? What is he to management?
Absolutely I can see 2 years as a center bridge before the next contract. Because unlike Matthews, he will need to show all over again moving to center. There is no large sample size.

Not entirely Traps , if they ink him in the 5.5/6m range long term and and ends up being a 20 x 40=60p type #1winger then thats on par with his comparibles right now in the league, like drouin/ehlers.

I don't see either camp liking the idea that willi ,, will be only inked up to the next lock out. With the risk of 5 year max contracts and other possible changes.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Though it’s pretty hard to Name the last bluechip who signed a bridge deal. Kucherov comes to Mind, though he’s going to cost Yzerman a boatload of money once it’s over. I’d say the pretty clear trend for the last couple years has been to lock up young stars on 6-8 year deals post ELC and I’m not so sure there’s any evidence for the Leafs young guys that suggests management is going to try to buck that trend

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Though it’s pretty hard to Name the last bluechip who signed a bridge deal. Kucherov comes to Mind, though he’s going to cost Yzerman a boatload of money once it’s over. I’d say the pretty clear trend for the last couple years has been to lock up young stars on 6-8 year deals post ELC and I’m not so sure there’s any evidence for the Leafs young guys that suggests management is going to try to buck that trend
Right but to me Willy is a special case. None of these players locked up changed positions in year 3.
Maybe Drouin is that exception becoming the default 1C in Montreal but I don't think he really is a center.

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Because contracts aren’t just determined by goals, all points matter.

Foresbergs point production is similar to Nylander’s - though arguably most folks would point to both Elhers and Pasta as the two most recent best contract comparable, each of which point to Nylander getting six million. Drouin had a 32 point rookie season and still hasnt hit the 60 point barrier (something Nylander did as a rookie), so he’s not a great comparison.

goal scorers command more $ thats pretty much a given and forsbergs contract only started last season for crying out loud

drouin just off a 21 x 32= 53p(as a 21y old) and that got him 5.5, what is willi on pace for as a 21y old,,, 13g 54P??

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Not entirely Traps , if they ink him in the 5.5/6m range long term and and ends up being a 20 x 40=60p type #1winger then thats on par with his comparibles right now in the league, like drouin/ehlers.

I don't see either camp liking the idea that willi ,, will be only inked up to the next lock out. With the risk of 5 year max contracts and other possible changes.
I'm all for Willy locked up between 5.5/6. It's in our best interest to have Willy blossom into a legit top C. So if he is a 60 point wing we have that frame of reference. If Willy believes he is better at C, he might wish to bet on himself in which case a show me is in order.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Right but to me Willy is a special case. None of these players locked up changed positions in year 3.
Maybe Drouin is that exception becoming the default 1C in Montreal.

well there you have it, maybe drouin is his best comparible at 21 the same age willi is now drouin posted 21 x 32=52p as a winger

and then inked a 5.5m x 6y to be the habs #1c. what is a 21y willi on pace for this year 13g 54 p??

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'm all for Willy locked up between 5.5/6. It's in our best interest to have Willy blossom into a legit top C. So if he is a 60 point wing we have that frame of reference. If Willy believes he is better at C, he might wish to bet on himself in which case a show me is in order.

I don't think RFA s have the leverage to make that call.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
as long as willie is less than 6.5 we should go to the max 8 yrs
there is a possibility for less depending how the year plays out.
Most important issue is to get him signed (even bridge) b4 Matty.. we dont need the draisaitl disaster!

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Does anyone have any actual evidence that wingers get paid less than centers? Centers are more valuable on the ice but that tends not to translate from what I have seen....

Monaghan and Gaudreau, Perry and getzlaf. Kane and toews. Giroux and voracek.

I don’t see any evidence that willy being a C with the same stats would drastically increase his demand

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
goal scorers command more $ thats pretty much a given and forsbergs contract only started last season for crying out loud

drouin just off a 21 x 32= 53p(as a 21y old) and that got him 5.5, what is willi on pace for as a 21y old,,, 13g 54P??

Nylander put up 61 points the season prior, and is currently on pace for 55+ points this season. Even if he doesn’t improve his scoring rate he has a more impressive results than Drouins record at the time he signed his latest contract. During Drouin’s season prior to the 53 point one he was awful, he had 10 points in the NHL and spent the rest of the time in the AHL.

There isn’t a realistic contract comparable for Nylander that has him making under 6 million per.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
well there you have it, maybe drouin is his best comparible at 21 the same age willi is now drouin posted 21 x 32=52p as a winger

and then inked a 5.5m x 6y to be the habs #1c. what is a 21y willi on pace for this year 13g 54 p??

Drouin signed for 7.3% of the cap. If the cap goes up to $83m that puts Nylander above $6m. If more IFA years are bought then it would be even higher. I personally think WN is better than Drouin so it should go up even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad