News Article: Cap going up to $78M-$82M next year

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
NHL salary cap projected to rise at least $3M in 2018-19

NHL salary cap projected to rise at least $3M in 2018-19

nhlmoney.jpg

According to projections the NHL shared at the Board of Governors meeting on Friday, the salary cap is expected to increase by at least $3 million for the 2018-19 season.

“The league has never been healthier,” said Commissioner Gary Bettman. “The game has never been healthier. Our franchises have never been healthier.”

Currently at $75 million, if the Players’ Association chooses to use an inflator the ceiling could rise as high as $82 million. The jump to $78 million would mark the biggest rise since a $4.7 million increase for the 2014-15 season.

That would be music to the ears of a handful of NHL teams who are near the current ceiling, allowing them some extra room to maneuver for their off-season spending. It would also help teams like the Chicago Blackhawks ($66M), Los Angeles Kings ($66M), and Nashville Predators ($65M), who are already committed to at least $65 million in salary for next season, per CapFriendly. Then you have the Vegas Golden Knights, who are sitting pretty at $34 million tied up for 2018-19. You wonder how general manager George McPhee will go about using his spending space to build off their inaugural season.

The ability for the ceiling to rise by a minimum of $3 million is due to another increase in league revenues, which Bettman said is projected to hit around $4.85 billion this season, while hockey-related revenues are expected to reach $4.54 billion, an increase of 8.2 percent.

We’ve come a long way from a $39 million ceiling all the way back in 2005-06.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Marner and Nylander will make what they earn, and so far, they haven't earned a boatload.
nylander maybe 7 mil, marner could probably make 8 or 9 mil if does good next season. no way he signs an extension this season

Darth Menace

Apr 14, 2016
nylander maybe 7 mil, marner could probably make 8 or 9 mil if does good next season. no way he signs an extension this season
I am feeling that you should reverse those players, and you may be close. I will guess a bit less though, regardless of the salary cap going up. Marner wasn't worth that much last year, when he played much better than this year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marner and Nylander will make what they earn, and so far, they haven't earned a boatload.

Though depends I suppose what one means by “boatload”, I suspect concerns that they’d be making 8 million have gone away by now, the Oiler’s LD contract seems more an outlier (lol Chia), but I’d expect both Marner/Nylander to pull in at the low end 6 million per.

Last edited:
Reactions: OddyOh and Kurtz

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Though depends I suppose what one means by “boatload”, I suspect concerns that they’d be making 8 million have gone away by now, the Piler’s LD contract seems more an outlier (lol Chia), but I’d expect both Marner/Nylander to pull in at the low end 6 million per.

Ehlers deal would be pretty close I'd imagine
6×7 would be a nice fair middle ground

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If anything Marner and Nylander are on pace to get less than we first thought, a 3 mil raise in the salary cap won't make any difference. As a matter of fact, I'll be more shocked to see a 7 in their numbers than a 5. Their leverage has slipped away, even if we see hot streaks, both look to come under expectations for this year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Ehlers deal would be pretty close I'd imagine
6×7 would be a nice fair middle ground

For Nylander especially i think he’ll get between/around Elhers and Pasta depending on what his point totals look like near the end of the season. Marner has the luxury having another season until he has to sign.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
That's a good news and some flexibility to sign the core players and also the FA

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I wouldn’t give Willie or Mitch 7 or 8 year deals, I’d roll the dice and go with bridge deals maybe 2 year extensions.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
How many teams do we think will be able to spend up to 82 million??

I still don’t think it changes anything For is really. Matthews woont get more than mcdavid

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I suspect 6-6.5 for Marner and Nylander, based on how they're playing this year. That could all change, but they're not 7.5-8.5 players so far.

I also think there is going to be a lot of negotiating around the idea of allowing the team the flexibility to add, in order to win cups. Fair deals that leave enough space to add a key piece here and there to put them over the top. More than anything, guys want to win. How bad you want to win is the question.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
leafs should have about 30M for Nylanders raise, and figuring out to do with JVR/Bozak/Komarov

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Before this slump just as many people were saying $7m.

Cap is going up.

7m is pretty steep considering pastrnak got 34g/70pts in 75 games and only managed 6.66

Nylander should be around 60pts again. I think Ehlers is a pretty good comparable so prob around 6m.
maybe give him 6.25 if he agrees to 8 years

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
7m is pretty steep considering pastrnak got 34g/70pts in 75 games and only managed 6.66

Nylander should be around 60pts again. I think Ehlers is a pretty good comparable so prob around 6m.
maybe give him 6.25 if he agrees to 8 years

Without a strong finish $7 seems unlikely, but with a big jump in the cap, I could easily see $6.5m+ on a long term deal.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
I like both players, but based on their performance so far, why would either get more than $6m?

I gotta think this years early struggles is to the advantage of the leafs. The leafs pay them more than what they would normally get based on performance now, but keep them under long term contacts. I dont believe for a second either one of these plays is a dud, and will contribute significantly to the team in the future. By year 4 of a 7 or 8 year deal the deal normally ends up in the teams favour and allows more flexibility.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Question for some of our capologist.

Are we going to have a lot of dead cap space next season? In order to avoid having bonuses carry forward to 19/20 and hit us same year M & M new contracts, I'm thinking we'll need to keep Hortons contract on the cap.

So... approx $4M in 17/18 bonuses coming forward, Hortons contract $5m, then enough space for us to absorb 18/19 at end of year - another approx. $4M.

$80 cap - $4M, - $5m, - $4M = $67m to spend.

Anyone agree this is what our cap will look like next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad