News Article: Cap Friendly: Determining the Off-Season Cap Space of the Maple Leafs

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
you put too much faith in the idea that the media would bother to read the cba, or even be able to understand all the ramifications of the legalese if they did.

its spelled out pretty clearly if you bother to read it.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
contract slot worrying is definitely my favorite one.

OH NO WE MIGHT LOSE VINCENT LOVERDE.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
you put too much faith in the idea that the media would bother to read the cba, or even be able to understand all the ramifications of the legalese if they did.

I don't think it was just the media.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
I don't think it was just the media.

No, according to the Athletic article by Mirtle, a couple of execs thought the Leafs were in trouble. Now having said that, not all execs have memorized the CBA: that's what they have a front office for.

I suspect that Pridham did his due diligence and clarified this before they did anything this summer. I would think being a Capologist, he's probably constantly in contact with the league, lots of internal memos around cap clarifications, etc. that we never see.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
No, according to the Athletic article by Mirtle, a couple of execs thought the Leafs were in trouble. Now having said that, not all execs have memorized the CBA: that's what they have a front office for.

I suspect that Pridham did his due diligence and clarified this before they did anything this summer. I would think being a Capologist, he's probably constantly in contact with the league, lots of internal memos around cap clarifications, etc. that we never see.

Or you know, the media is out to lunch and read my posts to get their stories and opinions. I highly doubt many decision makers on NHL teams didn't understand how this aspect of the cap works. It's very clearly laid out in the CBA. The issue is media types don't fact check things. They hear something, and they just run with it. This is why its a failing industry. You want information, go to the source. As I was saying on here for weeks, just listen to what Lou said, all the relevant information is in his interviews. But media types and fanboys on here like to think they're the smartest guys in the room. Well, today they look really really dumb.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
So many fans and posters worrying about so many different things.

Cap worries.
Contract limit.
Re-signing players now and in later years.
Who will play where.

The smarter fans realise we only see a small part of the big plans the front office is working on.

I'm pretty sure between all of those guys working at the top of the Leafs management are almost as smart as some of you. It may take them a little longer but I bet the figure it all out before it becomes a problem. <-- sarcasm

Seriously. These guys have a plan and they aren't telling anyone what it is (which is good). We're only seeing a small portion of what's to come.

If you walk into a mechanic rebuilding your engine, you really aren't gonna like the results or even understand what you're seeing. But if you take a look once the job is done, your impressions will be completely different. The same applies here.

Too many posters are stressing about things because they don't know the plan, and therefore don't understand.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
So many fans and posters worrying about so many different things.

Cap worries.
Contract limit.
Re-signing players now and in later years.
Who will play where.

The smarter fans realise we only see a small part of the big plans the front office is working on.

I'm pretty sure between all of those guys working at the top of the Leafs management are almost as smart as some of you. It may take them a little longer but I bet the figure it all out before it becomes a problem. <-- sarcasm

Seriously. These guys have a plan and they aren't telling anyone what it is (which is good). We're only seeing a small portion of what's to come.

If you walk into a mechanic rebuilding your engine, you really aren't gonna like the results or even understand what you're seeing. But if you take a look once the job is done, your impressions will be completely different. The same applies here.

Too many posters are stressing about things because they don't know the plan, and therefore don't understand.

MLSE has meddled and made such psychotically stupid decisions in the past that you can't really blame the smart fans for being skeptical of literally everything they do.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Lou doesn't take or keep this job if mlse tries to meddle.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Wouldn't it be great if CapFriendly had just trolled McGran into echoing his CF article without doing a lick of real research?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I guess if Lou is happy with his defense (as he claims) he may not move out any forwards, considering everyone can currently fit under the cap with Lupton on LTIR.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Komarov - Moore - Martin

Still have Kapanen, Leivo, Johnsson and Soshnikov all NHL ready.

That's a freaking scary looking offense.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I guess if Lou is happy with his defense (as he claims) he may not move out any forwards, considering everyone can currently fit under the cap with Lupton on LTIR.

JVR - Bozak - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Komarov - Moore - Martin

We had a scary offense last year. This might be good enough to vault from #6 to top 3.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Cap Friendly wrote an article on the Maple Leafs offseason cap situation. It is a good read and clarified things for me.

https://www.capfriendly.com/articles/39/determining-the-off-season-cap-space-of-the-maple-leafs

Unfortunately the people of CapFriendly are not aware that LTIR space can be used in the offseason as it can be used inseason.

if the Leafs have not already they have placed on of Lupul or Horton on LTIR and if you do the math Leafs have over 3 mill to sign Brown.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
This is the SOIR that was mentioned in this forum a while back.

It's not SOIR, it's an LTIR Exception. SOIR is only for players on 2-way contracts.

JVR - Bozak - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Komarov - Moore - Martin

I'm curious to see if Lou is planning on activating the LTIR Exception for both Lupul and Horton before the season begins. That could leave the Leafs with a lower amount of free cap space to open the season then they might have if there is a way to LTIR one of Lupul/Horton in the off-season and the other on day 1 of the regular season. There's still room for a lot of creative cap manipulation decisions by the Leafs' brass.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I'm curious to see if Lou is planning on activating the LTIR Exception for both Lupul and Horton before the season begins. That could leave the Leafs with a lower amount of free cap space to open the season then they might have if there is a way to LTIR one of Lupul/Horton in the off-season and the other on day 1 of the regular season. There's still room for a lot of creative cap manipulation decisions by the Leafs' brass.

Probably making a trade. Releasing this info just reminds everyone including other GMs that the Leafs are not desperate or need to do anything to sign their players. This way they can get reasonable offers instead of the BS that Lou was probably getting. If they make the trade, then they don't have to worry about using it, but if they can't, then they just use what they need to sign Brown and whoever else they need to sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad