News Article: Cap Friendly: Determining the Off-Season Cap Space of the Maple Leafs

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Yet another example of the lazy people who populate the media stealing someone else's (CapFriendly's) story. I feel like I've sleepwalked for decades believing these media people have any credibility as hard working, principled, objective, honest people. Probably so much propaganda over the years reading their self-promotion. Stepping back now having purged myself of conventional newspapers and network news, the image has come into focus: they're mostly (not fair to say all) narcissists desperate to be admired and noticed.

/rant

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Cap friendly also changed the definition of SOIR within the last two weeks or so.

I trust Lou much more than I do Cap Friendly.

Plus I trust the people I talk to and they lineup with what Lou has been saying. Don't worry. The media will catch up, then the masses will too.

Capfriendly didn't change their definition of SOIR. They discovered that people were misinterpreting what SOIR is and updated their FAQ to eliminate that confusion.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Cap friendly also changed the definition of SOIR within the last two weeks or so.

I trust Lou much more than I do Cap Friendly.

Plus I trust the people I talk to and they lineup with what Lou has been saying. Don't worry. The media will catch up, then the masses will too.

Well hopefully you are right.

So if the Brown contract drags on it has more to do with a gap in the negotiations, and less to due with limited cap space in your opinion.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
CapFriendly updated their article with the recent findings of James Mirtle:

https://www.capfriendly.com/article...g-the-off-season-cap-space-of-the-maple-leafs

What about LTIR? (Updated)
As explained by James Mirtle, it has recently been revealed that LTIR can in fact be utilized in the off-season. Previously it was understood that this was not possible, and LTIR could only be used leading into the season on the final day of training camp. With this news, it is likely that Horton has already been placed on LTIR, allowing the Leafs to exceed the salary cap of $82.5M, and therefore they have enough space to sign RFA Connor Brown.

Looks like the Leafs do not have to clear cap space to re-sign Brown after all.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's hilarious how much the Leafs know that other teams don't.

Other teams are literally being like "what are the Leafs gonna do!?"

Lou and Prindham are just sitting there sipping martini's.

We have around 5M to sign Brown, and will get another 4-5M when Lupul goes on LTIR, if he isn't already.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Weird, almost like Lou and Pridham knew what they were doing all along. Hopefully the hand-wringing about cap space stops now with this clarification.

Maybe giving them too much credit but noticed something that made me happy. The handling/ drafting of 96 born players through the 2015 and 2016 drafts has left us with

Timashov Dermott and Neilsen all having completed three pro years by the time Marleau's 3rd season/ the Marner/Matthews extensions come around but still having an elc year because of the late birthday slide rule. ****** for the players but it bought us a free year of development. Similarly sending Brooks back without an ELC means that he'll be on one as well, and drafting Korshkov overage out of Russia with the ability to stash him there.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
guys, we really shouldn't worry about our FO's ability to handle the cap.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't understand how something like this need confirmation from Bill Daley. How is this not explicitly stated in the CBA?

you put too much faith in the idea that the media would bother to read the cba, or even be able to understand all the ramifications of the legalese if they did.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Mirtle is a beauty.

If the Leafs are going into LTIR anyway they should use it. Mike Green perhaps? 6m for 1 year, use up Lupuls LTIR. Might as well try and use it.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Mirtle is a beauty.

If the Leafs are going into LTIR anyway they should use it. Mike Green perhaps? 6m for 1 year, use up Lupuls LTIR. Might as well try and use it.

Even with Mirtle's update, CF is projecting the Leafs to be about $7m over on opening day (assuming Brown signs for ~$3m). With a theoretical max LTIR benefit of $10.5m from Horton/Lupul (note: teams usually can't get 100% relief) it would require moving salary out to fit Green.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Even with Mirtle's update, CF is projecting the Leafs to be about $7m over on opening day (assuming Brown signs for ~$3m). With a theoretical max LTIR benefit of $10.5m from Horton/Lupul (note: teams usually can't get 100% relief) it would require moving salary out to fit Green.

don't think that number is right.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
I think we do 2 things.

1. We trade JVR or Komarov
2. We trade Marchenko and Marincin for next to nothing

I think one of those 2 D are the likely move. Unless they can work their magic and get a decent return for JVR

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i trust the guys upstairs, why would they sign marleau for im hoping at least 2 good years and sign hyman knowing that they cant sign brown, brown is part of core moving forward 100%

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad