News Article: Cap Friendly: Determining the Off-Season Cap Space of the Maple Leafs

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Send players down to the Marlies (short term until there cap problems are fixed) that do not require waivers.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It was a very good article. If 100% correct, which I have no reason to believe it isn't, the Leafs have to make a trade that sheds at least $2 million before signing Brown to his expected AAV.

PlietscherDassel

Dec 3, 2009
Send players down to the Marlies (short term until there cap problems are fixed) that do not require waivers.

I think we can't do that during the off-season and would have to wait.

From the article:
The Leafs could wait until the first day of the season when players can be loaned to the minors to free up cap space

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Great article. Clears up a few things.

I hate to appeal to authority in this scenario but I do think they have something planned and worked out to "fix" the cap space. There's no way they were in on both Thornton and Marleau, as well as Hamonic, without a realistic trade/cap plan.

It would be unlike them to sign a couple top tier free agents and not have a plan worked out that would explain a lot.

In my opinion, there's definitely a trade being worked on or at least planned out. It's the only thing that makes sense in my eyes. But I'll admit I'm not sure what's taking so long, which puts some doubt in my theory.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Didn't address why Lou said everything was great cap space wise and that he didn't expect to make more moves.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Didn't address why Lou said everything was great cap space wise and that he didn't expect to make more moves.

lou doesnt understand the cap?:sarcasm: i dont know but that article and a very informative poster have both said this now.

Besides, we have to make a move just in terms of spots without thinking about cap we have too many forwards. That move doesnt have to be a JVR type move it could be Sosh for a 7th or similar but it wont help our cap any

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Cap Friendly wrote an article on the Maple Leafs offseason cap situation. It is a good read and clarified things for me.

https://www.capfriendly.com/articles/39/determining-the-off-season-cap-space-of-the-maple-leafs

Thanks for sharing. Something to think about especially when considering or entertaining the notion of adding additional players .

Sum: $82,078,298

Current Off-Season Cap Space: $421,602

What does this mean? It means that as of currently the Leafs only have $421,602 remaining in cap space to sign additional players.

Given the current cap situation, Brown would have to agree to a contract with an annual average of $1,136,602 ($421,602 + $715,000) or lower

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

I hate to appeal to authority in this scenario but I do think they have something planned and worked out to "fix" the cap space. There's no way they were in on both Thornton and Marleau, as well as Hamonic, without a realistic trade/cap plan.

It would be unlike them to sign a couple top tier free agents and not have a plan worked out that would explain a lot.

In my opinion, there's definitely a trade being worked on or at least planned out. It's the only thing that makes sense in my eyes. But I'll admit I'm not sure what's taking so long, which puts some doubt in my theory.

It's possible though they are working on it on an opportunity by opportunity basis without a grand master plan.

Keeping in mind the master plan depends on another team which means it's made up on the fly somewhat already.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
The management is fully aware of the cap situation and would not just sign the player(s) without a concrete plan, there is going to be some movement before the opening day

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's possible though they are working on it on an opportunity by opportunity basis without a grand master plan.

Keeping in mind the master plan depends on another team which means it's made up on the fly somewhat already.

Of course. But when you plan on adding between 12M and 16M of cap, there's definitely some moves in the works, or planned scenarios that would be somewhat in the works to make those things happen. Not sure they would be irresponsible that way considering everything done since they took over.

While the Leafs didn't add Thornton and Hamonic to go with Marleau in the end, they did add Hainsey who still makes a solid penny.

So I think there's a plan or thought process in place that will happen soon-ish. That's my opinion though. My only question mark is wondering why it hasn't happened yet, but plenty of things can explain that.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

It could be as simple as having a deal lined up with someone like Vegas to take Lupul's contract, but not actually pulling the trigger until it's certain that it will be required (pending other potential transactions).

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
So somethings gotta give, either:
-Brown is gone
-Brown attends camp on invitation with a handshake agreed upon deal (shifty)
-we make a big value add Cap clearer (JVR)
-we pay for a big cap clearer (Lupul)
-we move spare parts for next to nothing (Marincin/ Marchenko/ Fehr for 5th's/7th's) (~4.7M in cap space there)

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
-Brown is gone
-we move spare parts for next to nothing (Marincin/ Marchenko/ Fehr for 5th's/7th's) (~4.7M in cap space there)

They don't call him Loophole Lou for nothing ;)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Wonder if Brown gets an offer sheet. Could be an attractive piece to the right team

An attractive piece at what cost? Only way the Leafs don't match is if a team completely overpays, which would take something above 4M for sure.

I love Brown but is he that kind of player? Over 4M after his rookie season? Maybe 3.9M makes it work, but that would make the Leafs probably fine with matching anyway. I welcome any team to overpay for a middle line player.

I'm not worried one bit.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
An attractive piece at what cost? Only way the Leafs don't match is if a team completely overpays, which would take something above 4M for sure.

I love Brown but is he that kind of player? Over 4M after his rookie season? Maybe 3.9M makes it work, but that would make the Leafs probably fine with matching anyway. I welcome any team to overpay for a middle line player.

I'm not worried one bit.

It would suck to have to match him at $3,925,975 or else lose him for only a 2nd.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

I'm not worried one bit.

It is more that the Leafs are handcuffed atm and a predatory offer sheet may force the Leafs to rush and drop salary or let Brown walk for a 2nd

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I'm not worried one bit.

Well, technically I believe the Leafs can't actually match an offer without moving out salary first.

It's an interesting position they're in - which is why I'm wondering if they plan on trading Brown.

If the Leafs value Hyman at 2.25 Brown has a pretty good case he's worth 1+ million more considering he had 10 more goals AND is younger

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The Leafs would move salary out and match fairly easily IMO, it just might not be at as great of a price as it would be if they can figure out someone first instead of having an offer sheet force their hand. Other teams probably know this though, and probably figure they won't get Brown, and it wouldn't shock me if Brown already has a deal worked out with the Leafs but it has to wait until the Leafs move some money before it becomes official. If that's the case then Brown won't sign an offer sheet.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
-Brown is gone

i dont like this and hope they dont pressure him to do it. Brown should stay away if he doesnt have a contract, just move someone already, even brown if thats the case

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Well, technically I believe the Leafs can't actually match an offer without moving out salary first.

It's an interesting position they're in - which is why I'm wondering if they plan on trading Brown.

If the Leafs value Hyman at 2.25 Brown has a pretty good case he's worth 1+ million more considering he had 10 more goals AND is younger

They would have a week to do so. If the team that offer sheets him doesn't overpay, I don't see how the Leafs don't find the time to fit him in. Again, they were ready to add Thornton and Hamonic (just about 1M more than Hainsey). I'm pretty sure they have a plan to move out salary.

I don't personally believe they will trade him but the return might be good enough to do so.

Offer sheets are rarely ever done and I don't think teams would go after a medium caliber player like Brown in that process. Draisatl would make a lot more sense, no?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think we do 2 things.

1. We trade JVR or Komarov
2. We trade Marchenko and Marincin for next to nothing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad