Value of: Cap dumps (Exp. 2025) to Flames

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
How is that not a smart premise?
Found the other billionaire. :sarcasm:

It misses the entire point that cap space is an asset that can be exchanged for other assets.

For a winning team, you need it, and will pay for it. For a losing team, you can offer it, and get paid for it.

The Flames generally have not retained until this year, and rumours of other trades being struck by ownership due to salary retention, but we will never know whether the Flames are retaining now because there is a change of thinking and that was the way to facilitate the best return, or if that's just the standard business practice amongst teams and given no choice.

It's Edwards being penny wise (focusing on the annual budget) but pound foolish (missing out on the big picture)

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

It misses the entire point that cap space is an asset that can be exchanged for other assets.

For a winning team, you need it, and will pay for it. For a losing team, you can offer it, and get paid for it.

The Flames generally have not retained until this year, and rumours of other trades being struck by ownership due to salary retention, but we will never know whether the Flames are retaining now because there is a change of thinking and that was the way to facilitate the best return, or if that's just the standard business practice amongst teams and given no choice.

It's Edwards being penny wise (focusing on the annual budget) but pound foolish (missing out on the big picture)
There is a difference between retaining for the remainder of the year and multiple years.

There is nothing good that will come out of retaining on Markstrom for multiple years.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
They weren’t willing to take 1 year of Ceci to pull a 1st rounder on Tanev. I highly doubt they will be selling cap space as you’ve suggested

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
They weren’t willing to take 1 year of Ceci to pull a 1st rounder on Tanev. I highly doubt they will be selling cap space as you’ve suggested

Again, I don't think you can just say that they were unwilling to do that.. they just preferred the Dallas deal for a multitude of reasons.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Tanev got us a 2nd and a very good D prospect without having to take on a cap dump. Dallas offered better.

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009
Fan 960 said flames were willing to retain for markstrom to devils for remaining 2 years, Fitzgerald only offered Casey for retaining so the flames backed out.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Before covid there was always cap space somewhere, but now we have half the league using LTIR exceptions. That's when cap space as an asset really picked up steam. But we keep mentioning something we heard a decade ago as if it is still true today. Just like how we ran the Iginla cap" and "Giordano cap" garbage into the ground.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
The Flames will almost certainly have plenty of room, but I doubt Edwards lets them retain. The guy is one of, if not the worst, owners in the league. Constantly meddling.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Flames will have 18.7m in cap space with only Kylington to worry about (and should only cost roughly the same cap hit), so I’d say over 16m left.

Are there any teams wanting to pay up a very good pick/prospect + their cap dump to give them the ability to sign/re-sign other players?
One thing to consider, is we don't exactly have roster space for cap dumps. Except maybe 1 on the blueline. As it stands when heathy we'll have 2 of Pelletier, Coronato or Pospisil on the 4th line. Literally all of our players are due to return except Kylington (who we all expect to re-sign) and Gilbert.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I think the flames clearly want to be competitive in the near future. They got rid of UFAs that didnt want to come back, but no way are they trying to bottom out.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Goodrow 3,641,667 another 3 seasons after this.
Rs retain 1.6+ making it an even 2 per, at which pt he has positive value.

Will send a 6th for each of the 3 last yrs.
He's ok now after recovering from fractured jaw + other injuries, but cap space recovery is a priority, depending on cost.

Deal?
This is obviously a horrible offer, but what about something like:

Goodrow+Matthew Robertson+2027 3rd for future considerations.

Flames could use a 4C upgrade and Robertson seems to be stuck behind your LD depth of Lindgren/Miller/Jones/Gustafsson. Alberta kid, good size, decent mobility. I always liked him from his days with the Oil Kings. Plus a mid-round pick because 3 more years of Goodrow at ~3.65 is not cheap.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This is obviously a horrible offer, but what about something like:

Goodrow+Matthew Robertson+2027 3rd for future considerations.

Flames could use a 4C upgrade and Robertson seems to be stuck behind your LD depth of Lindgren/Miller/Jones/Gustafsson. Alberta kid, good size, decent mobility. I always liked him from his days with the Oil Kings. Plus a mid-round pick because 3 more years of Goodrow at ~3.65 is not cheap.
disagree it is horrible if like I said good reduced to 2..

That said yr offer to eat the full 3.6+ per is acceptable. We can make it for 7th and have it finalized.

I regret Rs have effed up not developing Robertson, but that's the cards right now.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Doesn't end then and he is f***ing atrocious.

It's also not Calgary's 1st and in all likelihood Florida will be good next year, so Calgary gets to keep their pick and Montreal gets a pick around 23rd.
That isna bigggg if.

There's a ton of team that are going to ve much worse than CGY next year... CBJ, ANA, CHI, MTL, SJS, right there you already have 5 teams that will be 100% sure behind CGY next year, then add the tweeners like WSH, PIT, ARI, PHI etc. And CGY fould very well finish around 11 next year. Favt is with Markstrom. huberdeau picking it up, and a D that isn't that bad, coupled with the fact that ANA and SJS are in their division, there is a big chance MTL gets CGY's pick.

And MTL isn't trading that away for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad