Cap City Summer Elite League

MrEckted

Jan 28, 2008
CBus
Didn't see this posted anywhere but the CCSEL started at Chiller North today. From their website:

"Cap City Elite is a professional summer hockey league in Columbus, OH for NHL, AHL, ECHL, Major Junior, & NCAA hockey players. Our league provides our professional athletes with competitive off-season hockey & gives our community an unmatched fan experience."

Pretty cool to have Pro players coming into Columbus to play over the summer. They have guys like Atkinson, Jenner, Kuraly, Nyquist, Sillinger, and Laine with more supposedly joining as the season goes on. They play the game in two 25 minute halves with a brief intermission and cut in-between.

All the games are at Chiller North and admission is free. They are also streaming all the games, including commentary, on YouTube. Sounds like they will be adding Replay in the future as well. Check out their website for additional information: Cap City Elite Hockey

Thought it was pretty cool we have this going on in Columbus and figured I'd share for those who were unaware.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
How cool!
I saw Steckel in the gym this morning and he was talking about some team he was playing on but that clarifies what it was!

MrEckted

Jan 28, 2008
CBus
Yeah, definitely cool. You can watch replays of the full games on YouTube as well if you missed these first games: https://youtube.com/@yamomedia

How cool!
I saw Steckel in the gym this morning and he was talking about some team he was playing on but that clarifies what it was!
Looks to be non-contact based on the rules posted on their site. Seems to be a lot of Junior guys mixed in with some Pro Prospects. I'm guessing they're just doing it for conditioning purposes.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Surprised NHL contracts allow for participation in another league. I see the appeal as a fan and for the local hockey market, but I’d prefer players of my favorite team avoid the offseason injury risk.
I think the same with rollerball and Kent Johnson. There's enough risk of injury during normal training, they shouldn't go out of their way to add to it.

Reactions: CBJx614

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think the same with rollerball and Kent Johnson. There's enough risk of injury during normal training, they shouldn't go out of their way to add to it.

Who's to say rollerball isn't normal training?

Reactions: LJ7

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
I cant believe the players are allowed to play in the organized leagues like this or the roller hockey stuff

obviously these guys are going to do that sort of thing as training or recreation in the offseason.. but its the organized nature of this and the roller league that is eyebrow raising

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Who's to say rollerball isn't normal training?
I always thought "training" as things you do with your teammates, even in the off-season. What's to stop Joe Schmo from North Vancouver lining Johnson up and breaking his arm with a slash once Johnson shows him up in front of Joe's girlfriend, AGAIN? Nah, I'd rather not have them train with the general public.

Reactions: DougKnowsBest

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I always thought "training" as things you do with your teammates, even in the off-season. What's to stop Joe Schmo from North Vancouver lining Johnson up and breaking his arm with a slash once Johnson shows him up in front of Joe's girlfriend, AGAIN? Nah, I'd rather not have them train with the general public.

Joe Schmo can show up with a tire iron whenever & wherever he wants, doesn't have to be on a roller rink

MrEckted

Jan 28, 2008
CBus
I cant believe the players are allowed to play in the organized leagues like this or the roller hockey stuff

obviously these guys are going to do that sort of thing as training or recreation in the offseason.. but its the organized nature of this and the roller league that is eyebrow raising

Agreed. I was really surprised to see that they had such heavy sponsorship. Does the roller league have sponsors as well? Looking at the website, it seems like the players actually have to pay $415 to participate. You can actually sign up to play with them assuming you have at least tier 2 Junior experience.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Doing something stupid in the heat of the moment and embarrassment is much more real than later in the parking lot

Both seem unlikely to me. Just doesn't seem like a particularly satisfactory reason to say to Kent "No, you can no longer do this fun thing you really love that also keeps your skills sharp."

Reactions: Viqsi and LJ7

MrEckted

Jan 28, 2008
CBus
Doing something stupid in the heat of the moment and embarrassment is much more real than later in the parking lot
I think the non pros are probably just happy to be there getting the experience. The games are definitely a little different than what your imagining I guess. I think the first game ended like 18 to 8, there wasn't a lot of defensive battles happening lol.

Infractions are punished with a jailbreak penalty shot. Both teams have the option to activate a red light on their bench for 2 minutes per game, during which time any goals scored count for two. All in all seems pretty light-hearted.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm sure people thought the same about motorcycle riding (Canucks), fireworks(us), and drunk driving (Canes), until something happens, then it's not really whining.
Its absolutely whining. Freak accidents are unfortunate but dont dictate what others do or should do. You can hurt doing many things, worrying about someone doing physical activity with others and getting hurt is nonsense

Reactions: LJ7 and Xoggz22

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think the same with rollerball and Kent Johnson.

I was happily surprised that his off season recreation activity of choice is a variation of hockey. Someone floated the theory that PLD doesn’t really like hockey but he is good at it and he can make a lot of money at it, so he plays it. I think that could explain a lot. Nobody would ever accuse KJ of not liking hockey.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I was happily surprised that his off season recreation activity of choice is a variation of hockey. Someone floated the theory that PLD doesn’t really like hockey but he is good at it and he can make a lot of money at it, so he plays it. I think that could explain a lot. Nobody would ever accuse KJ of not liking hockey.
And KJ says “Do I play hockey? Well…”

Reactions: MrEckted

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think you're making a fly out of an elephant. Players can get injured at any time, in aerobic/anaerobic training as well as hockey. From what I watched the game, the pace is a bit higher than public skating, a player could have 5 eggs in his pocket, he wouldn't destroy them.

Reactions: LJ7

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Surprised to see all the concern here about this league. Many of these players were doing this already - I had walked into the Chiller in the past in the summer and seen local NHLers and other high level invites scrimmaging. They just decided to organize it a bit better this year and open it up to the public (and sponsors). Players are not going to show up to training camp without being on the ice all summer. The majority are doing these types of games in various clusters around the continent, just generally it's off the radar.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Have you looked at the rosters? These guys are not Joe Schmoes. No beer league guys on the ice. These are NHL, AHL, ECHL, NCAA and Canadian Juniors players, Euro Pros and USHLers. And I assume it was by invite.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Have you looked at the rosters? These guys are not Joe Schmoes. No beer league guys on the ice. These are NHL, AHL, ECHL, NCAA and Canadian Juniors players, Euro Pros and USHLers. And I assume it was by invite.
I was talking more about Johnson and his rollerball playing, not this local league

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00