Speculation: Canucks with 14 million in cap space this offseason

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
You are clearly a troll or don't watch hockey...

Off the top of my head he is top pairing on...

Toronto ahead of Zaitsev
Detroit obviously
Chicago ahead of Seabrook easily
Philadelphia easily
NYI personal choice over Boychuk and certainly considering age
Vegas easily
Nope, not one of those. Try again. I find this hilarious considering over the past two seasons multiple media outlets have reported that Tanev was put out there to see the interest and there was ZERO. For a top pairing D man making 4.5M why would nobody want him? The answer is he is an oft injured 5-6 guy. Remember when all you Canuck fans jumped on me before the season started because I said Engelland>Tanev? How did that play out.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Sure potentially. But JT won't come to Vancouver why would he join a rebuilding team when he wants to win like yesterday. Trading for Holtby is wasting assets for a guy that we would be moving on from in a few years when Demko is ready for the starters job. Besides, even if we got Holtby our defense isn't good enough to really make him shine. We would be better off staying the course, let JB use the picks at the draft and then fire his ass immediately after he gives some other UFA a stupid contract.

I find it comical that people act as if they know what JT will/won't do and what his exact wants are.

Reactions: vanarchy

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Nope, not one of those. Try again. I find this hilarious considering over the past two seasons multiple media outlets have reported that Tanev was put out there to see the interest and there was ZERO. For a top pairing D man making 4.5M why would nobody want him? The answer is he is an oft injured 5-6 guy. Remember when all you Canuck fans jumped on me before the season started because I said Engelland>Tanev? How did that play out.

You are completely full of it. Not worth my time. Nice try.

Reactions: Vancouver Canucks
Feb 24, 2017
So on every team in the NHL he would be on the top pair, :laugh::laugh:. Folks you can't get better material in a comedy club! It is posts like this that destroys the boards rep with media pundits.
Why would this board have any kind of positive “rep” anyway? It’s free to sign up and there is no member screening. Literally any clown can sign up. And lots did.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Yup Tavares is gonna want to come to a bottom feader team with a rabid fanbase and media that eats it's players alive, and has the worst travel schedule in all of hockey.

Zero chance. Zero.
First of all, the comment was less than 30% serious. Congrats on not catching that.

Second, JT is the type of player that can turn anyone into an instant contender, especially with the young Canucks coming down the pipe.

Third, If he's going to avoid teams that aren't already contenders and don't have passionate fan bases and intense media, who's left? Vegas and Columbus as the only options?

Last, in the last few years, it seems the Western Conference teams East of the Rockies but west of the Mississippi have had the toughest travel schedules. Colorado, Calgary, Chicago, Arizona and Edmonton all traveled more miles that Vancouver this season.

Canucks signing JT is a pipe dream, and might not even be a smart idea even if he did come here. But your reasons are poor and too generic, they apply to too many teams are just aren't true.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Why do Canuck fans try and hype Tanev as a top pairing D man? His numbers certainly don't support that. Name me even 5 teams besides the Canucks where he would be a top 5 D man?

<-------- You're not very attentive if you think that I'm a Canucks fan.

And you honestly think a majority of teams have FIVE better defenseman than Tanev? That's laughable.

As for a list: Arizona, Buffalo, Chicago, Columbus (I'd take Tanev over Johnson, Murray, Cole, and Nutivaara), Colorado (Johnson and Barrie are their only two I'd take over him), Detroit, Edmonton, He'd be a #3 or 4 in Florida, would be the second best defenseman in Montreal, #2 or 3 for the Islanders, Ottawa, would be a #2 or 3 in Toronto, Vegas has no defenseman of his ability, and would be a #3 or 4 in Washington.

Can't even name 5 teams lol. There's 5 before you even get past the Cs alphabetically :laugh:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
How did a thread about the Canucks having a stupid (for us) amount of cap space turn into a Tanev argument...again?

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I find it comical that people act as if they know what JT will/won't do and what his exact wants are.
Well with him it can be inferred. His only real motivation IMO for leaving the Islanders would be because he wants to compete for the playoffs. This would basically mean he just doesn't have faith in Garth Snow to be able to shore up the goaltending and blueline- offensively the team is easily playoff caliber. So if he was to leave the Islanders, why would he come to a team in Vancouver who also have a sub-par blueline and questionable goaltending? Fact is more than likely not he wouldn't. Honestly the team that I think he should go to if they can make the money work is St. Louis. Him and the Tarasenkshow together would be magic.
<-------- You're not very attentive if you think that I'm a Canucks fan.

And you honestly think a majority of teams have FIVE better defenseman than Tanev? That's laughable.

As for a list: Arizona, Buffalo, Chicago, Columbus (I'd take Tanev over Johnson, Murray, Cole, and Nutivaara), Colorado (Johnson and Barrie are their only two I'd take over him), Detroit, Edmonton, He'd be a #3 or 4 in Florida, would be the second best defenseman in Montreal, #2 or 3 for the Islanders, Ottawa, would be a #2 or 3 in Toronto, Vegas has no defenseman of his ability, and would be a #3 or 4 in Washington.

Can't even name 5 teams lol. There's 5 before you even get past the Cs alphabetically :laugh:
But on the topic, the only team that Tanev could be argued that he wouldn't be in the top 4 is Nashville. Personally I like him more than Ekholm (bias based) but he wouldn't be playing over PK or Ellis. Every other team in the league he would be easily top pair, or the guy really holding down a middle pairing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
The guy you're arguing with is such a troll, we need a bridge to house him. But on the topic, the only team that Tanev could be argued that he wouldn't be in the top 4 is Nashville. Personally I like him more than Ekholm (bias based) but he wouldn't be playing over PK or Ellis. Every other team in the league he would be easily top pair, or the guy really holding down a middle pairing.

Yeah I really just went with the ones that we're extremely obvious. It's not too difficult when the standard that he set was even being a top 5 on a team. I'd argue he wouldn't be top pairing on a few more teams than Nashville though, but it's mostly due to handedness. There's no way he would play on the top pairing in St. Louis over Pietro and he's a better defemsive defenseman than Parayko (who is also quite good defensively) but Parayko brings more offensively. He wouldn't be top pair in Columbus over Jones and Werenski. It'd be debatable if he'd play top pair for Anaheim. He wouldn't play over Hamilton or Gio in Calgary and would probably be about even with Brodie. It'd be tough to argue that he'd play over guys like Slavin, Faulk, and Hanifin in Carolina. It's all semantics really and comes down more to someone's preference for the type of player they want on their top pair but the fact that the original statement was "MIGHT be considered a 5 or 6" made it too hard to scroll past without saying something. I probably shouldn't have engaged him. Didn't know he was a troll though (although the claim should have been a good indicator), I've never come across/noticed him until now.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Yeah I really just went with the ones that we're extremely obvious. It's not too difficult when the standard that he set was even being a top 5 on a team. I'd argue he wouldn't be top pairing on a few more teams than Nashville though, but it's mostly due to handedness. There's no way he would play on the top pairing in St. Louis over Pietro and he's a better defemsive defenseman than Parayko (who is also quite good defensively) but Parayko brings more offensively. He wouldn't be top pair in Columbus over Jones and Werenski. It'd be debatable if he'd play top pair for Anaheim. He wouldn't play over Hamilton or Gio in Calgary and would probably be about even with Brodie. It'd be tough to argue that he'd play over guys like Slavin, Faulk, and Hanifin in Carolina. It's all semantics really and comes down more to someone's preference for the type of player they want on their top pair but the fact that the original statement was "MIGHT be considered a 5 or 6" made it too hard to scroll past without saying something. I probably shouldn't have engaged him. Didn't know he was a troll though (although the claim should have been a good indicator), I've never come across/noticed him until now.
Top pairing across the league is definitely debatable. But he's a #2, who on some teams would be playing in the number 3 spot locking down a 2nd unit. Definitely agree with STL in terms of RHD- but he'd be still considered in their best 4 guys. Honestly too, I'm just assuming they're a mega troll based on the outlandish comments made in this thread. Anyways, should probably get back on topic in saying unless it's JT or Carlson just stay away from the UFA market and take on the Spezza's or Orpik's for picks you can get, then flip them with retention either immediately or at the TDL. Let JB make some mid-late round picks which he has done a pretty good job with and then fire his ass before he can give out another ridiculously stupid termed contract.

member 290103

First of all, the comment was less than 30% serious. Congrats on not catching that.

Second, JT is the type of player that can turn anyone into an instant contender, especially with the young Canucks coming down the pipe.

Third, If he's going to avoid teams that aren't already contenders and don't have passionate fan bases and intense media, who's left? Vegas and Columbus as the only options?

Last, in the last few years, it seems the Western Conference teams East of the Rockies but west of the Mississippi have had the toughest travel schedules. Colorado, Calgary, Chicago, Arizona and Edmonton all traveled more miles that Vancouver this season.

Canucks signing JT is a pipe dream, and might not even be a smart idea even if he did come here. But your reasons are poor and too generic, they apply to too many teams are just aren't true.

LOL, less than 30% serious? Well, my reply was only 53% not in jest. Congratulations for catching that. ;)

I'll just reply to the last part - I agree, it's a pipe dream. My reasons (travel, Vancouver Canucks suck, he's an East Coast guy with no ties to the West Coast) are not too generic. Were the Canucks a contending team or a team on the cusp of contending, you might get some iota of traction with this, but they are not.....the only way this would work is if Tavares only cared about maximizing value and the Canucks offered more money than any other team.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I don't understand the nucks having 14 million to spend and Bozak having any appeal as part of that spending. If the canucks are doing a rebuild then that space will likely be used to gain other assets. All depends if they are retooling or doing a short rebuild.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
Does this open up the door for a possible Karlsson acquisition accompanied by Bobby Ryan? What would it take? I imagine it starts with Juolevi and the 2018 first.. but where does it go from there?

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What do they do with it? Sign Evander kane? Bozak? JVR?

Canucks are in rebuilding mode right now, why would they be bringing in 28 and 29 year old UFA's, just because they have some space. Kane and JVR will want big money, long-term, NTC type contracts, doesn't make sense for a team like the Canucks.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
If a big name is willing to sign for short term that's a good move to make as they can mentor the kids and be traded for a haul in a few years. Teams in a cap crunch will be willing to pay via picks and prospects to dump players on short term deals.

Pick up a player like Spezza or Orpik and they might even have some value at the deadline if the Canucks play them correctly. If you have the space why not use it. Cap space is the biggest asset in today's league.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Could see a team like them grabbing JvR and Bozak. They have been a consistent secondary threat.... can plop any rookie on the other side and have respectable numbers.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
What do they do with it? Sign Evander kane? Bozak? JVR?
Jeez.... Just because they have cap space doesn't mean they should use it. They should take a few bad contracts IF anything and certainly shouldn't sign more players in free agency

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Really? In a realm where people are endlessly creating trade proposals that have no real impact in real life, speculating on tavares is the comedy?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

anyone? How'd that workout for the islanders?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
anyone? How'd that workout for the islanders?
The Islanders could easily be a contender with JT, especially with their offensive depth, if the rest of the team wasn't such a disaster. I didn't mean having him alone automatically makes a team a contender, even McDavid can't do that as we are seeing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad