Post-Game Talk: Canucks WIN. Def. Kraken - 5-4 (Mikheyev x2, Kuzmenko, Pettersson, Garland)

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
anyway it's really funny to see them play one of their worst games of the season (next to the carolina game) and somehow win

Reactions: Zippgunn

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Just finished watching the game and a win is a win but that was super sloppy, gave up chances galore and just barely held on the entire 3rd...

The defense is atrocious, slow, half brained, out of position constantly. Rathbone is an adventure not in a good way, OEL looks like juolevi, myers is chaos. Only schenn and Burroughs can keep their heads above water.
Thats causing issues, turnovers, and exhaustion for the fwds and demko.

But atleast they can breathe easy for a night before getting stomped by Pittsburgh tomorrow, possibly without miller.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another third period where the Canucks were outshot 15-3 at one point and badly out-chanced. If it was any other team but the Kraken, I doubt they hold on.

It's positively frightening how much the play of Myers and OEL is declining. Neither guy can even get there anymore. If the puck is six feet away from them, they're in deep trouble. Beginning to think that OEL contract may actually end up being worse than Louie Eriksson's.

A positive game for the Pettersson, Mihkeyev, Kuzmeno trio. And Horvat was skating hard. But after that, it was like the rink was tilted. This team just can get pucks out of its own zone. Plenty of turnovers tonight.

But at least Boudreau finally got his 600th win, and even the guys on the Sportsnet-TSN Networks were relieved that the Canucks are no longer the NHL's only winless team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With Hoglander getting 9 minutes, isn't it time to trade him?

He won't develop, getting 4th line minutes.
The vultures are circling on Hoglander. Carolina is apparently in love with the kid. I swear if the Canucks deal him for a waiver-wire d-man like Ethan Bear, I'm throwing my Canuck jersey in the waste bucket.

Reactions: theguardianII

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
They basically need to win 7 of the next 9 to have any shot at the playoffs
The graphic the broadcast put up early in the game was pretty eye opening to many people I’d imagine. Listing the handful of teams that managed to make the playoffs after starting the season winless in 7 or more.

To be honest, while it was a win it wasn’t one of those wins where play was starting to get better and it seemed inevitable it would come. This was a win after getting dummied for the large majority of the last three games. I’m of the belief they got what they deserved on the 5 game road trip to begin with and their play has gotten worse since then not better.

Take the two points of course, but wow were they ever bad.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The graphic the broadcast put up early in the game was pretty eye opening to many people I’d imagine. Listing the handful of teams that managed to make the playoffs after starting the season winless in 7 or more.

To be honest, while it was a win it wasn’t one of those wins where play was starting to get better and it seemed inevitable it would come. This was a win after getting dummied for the large majority of the last three games. I’m of the belief they got what they deserved on the 5 game road trip to begin with and their play has gotten worse since then not better.

Take the two points of course, but wow were they ever bad.
Yeah. Add to that:

— The Mikheyev goals were fugly.

— Canucks didnt spend much time in Seatle's end 5on5

— Demko still shaky af

— Only Peteys line looks like its able to thread water

— OEL has regressed from game to game

Its a heluva time to be a Nucks fan!

Last edited:
Reactions: tantalum

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Cam Charron's recap is out. Matches the eye-test. I found the following part interesting:

• The Canucks fared a lot better on the right side than the left. Myers had a real good night: the Kraken targeted him often, but he turned 8 controlled entries against him into just 3 scoring chances, while the Kraken had a little more success on the other side against OEL.
  • Myers, Burroughs, and Schenn each forced 4 failed entries, as well. While I’m not sure that it’s a great D group necessarily, I think Myers, Burroughs and Schenn can hang with a lot of groups in the league. Burroughs I think has been a bit of a revelation. The team may not know how good he is. He’s probably a little too old for the team to see him as part of the next great Canucks team, but I imagine he fetches a decent pick at the trade deadline if he continues to play like this.
  • Better night moving the puck for OEL, with 5 controlled exits on 7 attempts, but turnovers were still an issue, particularly late. Now, I do want to clear up something I said on Canucks Talk with Drance and Dodd yesterday, since I got quoted on Twitter: I don’t think that OEL is an NHL-level defenceman right now. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have the ability to improve, but he’s essentially been outplayed by replacement-level players this season. If I’m an opponent, I’m itching to play against him. He’s got some bad boots right now and is doing a lot of things that would really annoy me if I worked for the Canucks. His passes aren’t crisp, he’s making bad reads, and he’s getting beaten in multiple puck races every game. That doesn’t mean you can write him off for the rest of his NHL career, but he’s playing below an NHL standard right now and needs to improve for this team to have much of a hope. I have no vendetta against the player, but coming in pretty fresh to this team and not really knowing what to expect since this is the first time I’ve watched a lot of these players closely for multiple games, there is a lot about Ekman-Larsson’s game to dislike. If that improves, I’ll be the first to give him credit.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Cam Charron's recap is out. Matches the eye-test. I found the following part interesting:

• The Canucks fared a lot better on the right side than the left. Myers had a real good night: the Kraken targeted him often, but he turned 8 controlled entries against him into just 3 scoring chances, while the Kraken had a little more success on the other side against OEL.
  • Myers, Burroughs, and Schenn each forced 4 failed entries, as well. While I’m not sure that it’s a great D group necessarily, I think Myers, Burroughs and Schenn can hang with a lot of groups in the league. Burroughs I think has been a bit of a revelation. The team may not know how good he is. He’s probably a little too old for the team to see him as part of the next great Canucks team, but I imagine he fetches a decent pick at the trade deadline if he continues to play like this.
  • Better night moving the puck for OEL, with 5 controlled exits on 7 attempts, but turnovers were still an issue, particularly late. Now, I do want to clear up something I said on Canucks Talk with Drance and Dodd yesterday, since I got quoted on Twitter: I don’t think that OEL is an NHL-level defenceman right now. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have the ability to improve, but he’s essentially been outplayed by replacement-level players this season. If I’m an opponent, I’m itching to play against him. He’s got some bad boots right now and is doing a lot of things that would really annoy me if I worked for the Canucks. His passes aren’t crisp, he’s making bad reads, and he’s getting beaten in multiple puck races every game. That doesn’t mean you can write him off for the rest of his NHL career, but he’s playing below an NHL standard right now and needs to improve for this team to have much of a hope. I have no vendetta against the player, but coming in pretty fresh to this team and not really knowing what to expect since this is the first time I’ve watched a lot of these players closely for multiple games, there is a lot about Ekman-Larsson’s game to dislike. If that improves, I’ll be the first to give him credit.

Good report. I like what Charron is doing as like he said the Canucks aren't a team he's really followed so he's coming in fresh. I feel like he's had the most accurate reports out of everyone out there so far this season.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Good report. I like what Charron is doing as like he said the Canucks aren't a team he's really followed so he's coming in fresh. I feel like he's had the most accurate reports out of everyone out there so far this season.

I remember when Charron was a forum jockey just like the rest of us, really cool to see his career trajectory.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00