Canucks win 3-2: Cory Schneider's jersey crest is great in the shootout.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Decent game based on what I saw. Just am not sure why we are shooting from beyond the hash marks in a shoot out. Makes for a very easy save as long as the goaltender comes out and challenges like Schneider did.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Now that I've calmed down, I can try to talk about this loss rationally. :laugh:

(I'M HOPING) Hartley was just testing out his big guns. We haven't had much time to practise SO's I'm sure in this shortened season. You throw out the top guys, see what they can do. They did NOTHING. Next SO, if he doesn't go to his young, creative guys, we have another Sutter on our hands. We all know the definition of insanity too well here in Calgary.

I remain hopeful but still so scorned. :laugh:

Banner

Jan 12, 2012
Stempniak has been brutal and should have been sent packing. I don't give a **** about who has scored a goal. That would be like saying that Comeau has the same value as Baertschi because they are both scoreless. Frankly, you could take that whole shoot out cast and make them trade bait moving forward and the club would be in a better position. It really is past the time to burn this thing tithe ground.

Breaking down this post:

-Says Stempniak has been brutal
-Says doesn't care who's scored
-Take Iginla, Cammy, GlenX, Tangs, and Stemp and trade them
-Rebuild/Blow it up

I think even Eric Francis could have written something less facepalm worthy

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Breaking down this post:

-Rebuild/Blow it up

He does have a point that Stemps hasn't been amazing outside of scoring but after that he goes off a cliff :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I thought throughout the first 30 minutes of the game that Sven almost looked like our most dangerous forward (realize that isn't saying alot). I thought Backlund looked to be consistent at creating offence all game and this is the most impressed I have been by him in his entire career as a Flame to date.

Iggy and Cammy finally came alive in the 3rd. And Wideman was easily our best dman, if he can bring that game consistently all year then I have zero problems with his contract.

I am really excited for Hudler to join this group. He's gonna give us a good SO presence, he's an excellent 5 on 5 player, and he can snipe goals from in close. He's another legitimate scoring threat for this team. If Cervenka can produce as a top 6 center then we will have 3 lines that can all score. I can't wait to see our lineup healthy, if Hartley can mop up the sloppiness and mistakes, there might be playoffs in Calgary this year. I saw significant improvement against the Nucks last night, hopefully the Flames can build off of last night.

Lastly, the Nucks do not scare me at all anymore. To me they are far, far from being the team to beat in the West. I think the Flames are on par with them.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I thought throughout the first 30 minutes of the game that Sven almost looked like our most dangerous forward (realize that isn't saying alot). I thought Backlund looked to be consistent at creating offence all game and this is the most impressed I have been by him in his entire career as a Flame to date.

Iggy and Cammy finally came alive in the 3rd. And Wideman was easily our best dman, if he can bring that game consistently all year then I have zero problems with his contract.

I am really excited for Hudler to join this group. He's gonna give us a good SO presence, he's an excellent 5 on 5 player, and he can snipe goals from in close. He's another legitimate scoring threat for this team. If Cervenka can produce as a top 6 center then we will have 3 lines that can all score. I can't wait to see our lineup healthy, if Hartley can mop up the sloppiness and mistakes, there might be playoffs in Calgary this year. I saw significant improvement against the Nucks last night, hopefully the Flames can build off of last night.

Lastly, the Nucks do not scare me at all anymore. To me they are far, far from being the team to beat in the West. I think the Flames are on par with them.

Our pp is already pretty good I am really excited to add Cervenka and Hudler to the 2nd unit I think we run

Glencross - Cammy/Hudler(would prefer Hudler) - Iginla
Tanguay - Widemen

Sven - Backlund - Hudler/Cammy
Cervenka(after a few games and he is up to speed) - Gio

From watching Cervenka he seems to play alot like Tanguay and Gio fit well with him on the pp maybe trying Cervenka could get Gio going as well.

Aug 3, 2010

It's going to be interesting in the West. IMO, the Hawks are playign well with a lot of speed - very dangerous, although Crawford is suspect. But even then, his team can bail him out and he is not the worst goalie, just inconsistent.

The Blues are the team to beat. Their work ethic was great last year, and it's just as good now if not better; with the added benefit of star players like Tarasenko and Pietrangelo maturing and coming into their own, they're actually my pick to win the Cup this season.

Vancouver is the new San Jose. Good team with some great talent, but can't put it together, like the Sharks circa 2006-2009.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Our pp is already pretty good I am really excited to add Cervenka and Hudler to the 2nd unit I think we run

Glencross - Cammy/Hudler(would prefer Hudler) - Iginla
Tanguay - Widemen

Sven - Backlund - Hudler/Cammy
Cervenka(after a few games and he is up to speed) - Gio

From watching Cervenka he seems to play alot like Tanguay and Gio fit well with him on the pp maybe trying Cervenka could get Gio going as well.

I agree with not touching the main pp. For now the pp should stay relatively untouched unless they struggle throughout the game. Cammy over Hudler as he has the slapshot. But as Cammy is playing poorly right now I would definitly slot in Hudler on the 1st

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
Breaking down this post:

-Rebuild/Blow it up

Yes, because this team is built to be successful and shows signs of being headed in the right direction. Do you even "watch" hockey? I mean actually observe the play and flow of the game? Do you then watch other teams and their games to compare and contrast that to the Flames? If you did you would quickly come to the conclusion of just how bad this team is. Seriously, they have not been in a game this season. They may have earned a point in Vancouver, but they were badly outplayed, for the third straight game. I don't see much to get all excited about and only see a long season of losses piling up. But the stats monkeys are in a full lather, pointing out who the team "leaders" are quantitatively rather than actually doing the difficult thing and making a qualitative analysis of who has actually been good and bad. Bravo!

BTW, best players for the team so far have been the B's. Backlund and Baertschi have been the highest performers at their positions so far in this short season. Too bad they haven't been given the opportunity that the veterans you mentioned have had thrust upon them. Have to respect the meritocracy Hartley said he was going to implement.

:sarcasm:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Yes, because this team is built to be successful and shows signs of being headed in the right direction. Do you even "watch" hockey? I mean actually observe the play and flow of the game? Do you then watch other teams and their games to compare and contrast that to the Flames? If you did you would quickly come to the conclusion of just how bad this team is. Seriously, they have not been in a game this season. They may have earned a point in Vancouver, but they were badly outplayed, for the third straight game. I don't see much to get all excited about and only see a long season of losses piling up. But the stats monkeys are in a full lather, pointing out who the team "leaders" are quantitatively rather than actually doing the difficult thing and making a qualitative analysis of who has actually been good and bad. Bravo!

BTW, best players for the team so far have been the B's. Backlund and Baertschi have been the highest performers at their positions so far in this short season. Too bad they haven't been given the opportunity that the veterans you mentioned have had thrust upon them. Have to respect the meritocracy Hartley said he was going to implement.

All I see is you looking for reasons to **** all over this team. If you think Calgary wasn't in the game against Vancouver, then you were clearly watching a different game.

But hey, you only show up to flap your words when the Flames lose, so why should this be a surprise to anyone? You obviously take joy in watching the Flames lose so you can waltz onto HF and be the first to say "I told you so". Your act is old. If you don't want the team to win, then that's fine. You're free to invest your time in watching other better teams if you want to watch winning teams.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
All I see is you looking for reasons to **** all over this team. If you think Calgary wasn't in the game against Vancouver, then you were clearly watching a different game.

But hey, you only show up to flap your words when the Flames lose, so why should this be a surprise to anyone? You obviously take joy in watching the Flames lose so you can waltz onto HF and be the first to say "I told you so". Your act is old. If you don't want the team to win, then that's fine. You're free to invest your time in watching other better teams if you want to watch winning teams.

Glad someone said it.

JSBTl.gif

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

IMO stemps has been better than bartschi by a mile. Backlund has looked good. You need to relax, if you expect iginla to produce in the 1st five games then you haven't watched much hockey in the last decade. Not saying he shouldn't be traded, but the reality of the situation is that his team will get better as the season goes on. Too bad by the time iggy and crew come around we might already be buried.

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW

Try watching the games without the beer goggles on. Calgary got run over for the first 40 minutes of the hockey game. We looked good in the last period but on a whole it was another game where the Flames didn't play a complete game and paid for it.

Denial is not a river in Egypt. Try all the deflection strategies you want but the Flames are horrible and you're going to have to accept that at some point. You can try and blame me for not wanting to see the obvious fate of this hockey club, but the writing is on the wall. This is going to be a repeat of the Sutter years, with another coach and general manager not willing to accept the stark reality facing them. They will play the same tired veterans and not bother about the future and trying to improve. Every hockey guy in the world, outside of Calgary, knows what needs to be done. Every fan in the world, not blinded by their Flaming red homer glasses, knows what needs to be done. It is painful watching the team I love be driven into the ground. It's even more painful to see supposedly intelligent fans not able to practice the slightest bit of detachment and look at the team rationally. But continue to blame anyone you want for not being willing to look at this team and see what it is.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
IMO stemps has been better than bartschi by a mile. Backlund has looked good. You need to relax, if you expect iginla to produce in the 1st five games then you haven't watched much hockey in the last decade. Not saying he shouldn't be traded, but the reality of the situation is that his team will get better as the season goes on. Too bad by the time iggy and crew come around we might already be buried.

I expect Iginla to produce during the first 5 games of a season. Just because he usually slumps at that time doesn't mean we shouldn't expect production. Particularly with this shortened season.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

Baertschi and Backlund were given 2nd line minutes, how is this not giving them an opportunity?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Baertschi and Backlund were given 2nd line minutes, how is this not giving them an opportunity?
Might want to check your math there...

Against Vancouver, the only forward with less ice time than these two was Begin. So they basically got 4th line minutes.

Against Anaheim, Jackman, Jones, Horak & Comeau all had less ice time. So they got 3rd line minutes.

Against San Jose, Jackman, Comeau, and Begin all had less ice time. Again, 3rd line minutes.

One might suggest that they're appearing to do well as a result of playing sheltered minutes. Others might suggest that they're playing well in spite of limited ice time, and should be rewarded with more.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Backlund should be getting second line minutes at minimum by this point. By his play, he's earned it.

For Baertschi on the other hand, 3rd line and somewhat sheltered minutes is acceptable. Anything less though is a waste.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Might want to check your math there...

Against Vancouver, the only forward with less ice time than these two was Begin. So they basically got 4th line minutes.

Against Anaheim, Jackman, Jones, Horak & Comeau all had less ice time. So they got 3rd line minutes.

Against San Jose, Jackman, Comeau, and Begin all had less ice time. Again, 3rd line minutes.

One might suggest that they're appearing to do well as a result of playing sheltered minutes. Others might suggest that they're playing well in spite of limited ice time, and should be rewarded with more.

Sure but Sven sees no pk time and both see over a minute (almost 2 )in pp time so in players that play 5v5 + pp time they are 5th and 6th for time on ice so for offensive opportunities they are getting top 2 time on ice it is thrown off when you add in pk time as Sven doesn't pk and those aren't scoring shifts.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Baertschi looks to be a scratch against the young soft Oilers. And the predictable nature of this team continues.

He has only played 5 games since his injury at the end of November, the Leafs just sent Gardiner to the ahl because he wanted played in a while as well they don't want to rush this kid.

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
Sure but Sven sees no pk time and both see over a minute (almost 2 )in pp time so in players that play 5v5 + pp time they are 5th and 6th for time on ice so for offensive opportunities they are getting top 2 time on ice it is thrown off when you add in pk time as Sven doesn't pk and those aren't scoring shifts.

Or you can go check out the even strength ice time stats to see Stewie is 100% accurate in his comments. I know, it's hard to come to grips that the new savior behind the bench is no different than the others that have cycled through the organization, but that is the nature of the business when the management team wants immediate success rather than looking for long term solutions and a behavior we should demand the team change. Develop the young players and screw these old retreads and journeymen.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: