Canucks win 3-2: Cory Schneider's jersey crest is great in the shootout.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Stempniak has been brutal and should have been sent packing. I don't give a **** about who has scored a goal. That would be like saying that Comeau has the same value as Baertschi because they are both scoreless. Frankly, you could take that whole shoot out cast and make them trade bait moving forward and the club would be in a better position. It really is past the time to burn this thing tithe ground.

It is arguable, but stempniak has been our best forward so far.

Anyways, team is starting to come around. I'm much happier with last nights effort. Kipper looked like himself out there. Still this team needs better centres and more size. We won't cut it as a playoff team.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Kassian will be a fringe 2nd liner at best.

A lot of players can look good playing with the Sedins.

I wouldn't say fringe 2nd liner I think he will be a good 2nd liner but the way some Canucks act like they have the next Lucic or Iginla is funny and sad. The kid has alot of talent and some real nice hands but if they set such high expectations on him they will sour on him quickly as many did with Hodgson.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Frustrated with his finishing and like I said besides a few moments in the game, he didn't really impress me. In a 48 game season, Iginla can't afford to start playing at his best after 20 games.

The only guy that stood on his head tonight was Kipper. Wideman I found was more stable with the puck this game as well. In the end, if it wasn't for Kipper I don't think this game would have gone to extra point. My last point on Iginla is that I know he can play with more effort and I believe Saturday we will see that.

I agree Iginla has been better then this but again lack of finishing=/= lack of effort. Kipper was great tonight but brutal the last 2 games and yet no one called for him to be off this team why? Because people have ridiculous expectations of him you compare him to Selanne who is one of the best forwards of all time and ask why Iginla isn't as good as him when Selanne was invisible against us. I think you still believe Iginla is a top 10 forward in the league, the sad truth is he is not, he isn't as strong or fast and won't take over most games by himself. I think the reason you are upset with him now is you toke for granted what Iginla was and still expect him to live up to 10 years ago.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I hate to admit it but Kassian is pretty good. He's been pretty damn good since before he was drafted, but last night he looked great. His wraparound attempt showed how he's dangerous all the time, and his goal showed a really good shot. He's got good shot, good hands, good playmaking, good size, the kid has a lot of potential. He won't be as good as Bartschi obviously, but he looks like he might be pretty good.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I hate to admit it but Kassian is pretty good. He's been pretty damn good since before he was drafted, but last night he looked great. His wraparound attempt showed how he's dangerous all the time, and his goal showed a really good shot. He's got good shot, good hands, good playmaking, good size, the kid has a lot of potential. He won't be as good as Bartschi obviously, but he looks like he might be pretty good.

Honestly, he reminds be a little of Lucic. Looks like the Hodgson trade might be more even than we thought.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
If Raymond were a centerman then I would think there is a chance, but with being a winger I think the odds are slim with everyone we already have under contract

When it comes to the game play I thought was still sloppy but the Flames played their best game by far, it was miles ahead of the previous 2. Lets hope they keep improving.

Iginla, Cervenka, Comeau, Begin go to UFA and Backlund goes to RFA. Calgary right now would fit (barely) underneath next year's cap. If Iginla were to retire, that's $7m that could be spent elsewhere. The Anton is also a UFA, freeing up another $2.5m. Cervenka is on a one-year deal at close to $3.8m. So if we assume that all free agent costs outside of Iginla "even out" due to Cervenka and Babchuk likely getting lower contracts in the summer, that's $7m open to spend on Iginla or a new winger (or center, or even both). So if Iginla retires, sign Raymond for $3m, and that leaves another $4m open that can be used to sign a FA center (Filppula @$5m-$5.5m? He has excellent chemistry with Hudler, is good defensively and on faceoffs, and a Glencross/Flip/Hudler or Tanguay/Flip/Hudler line would be killer).

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Sven was invisible all night and Kassian basically beat the Flames on his own efforts. Odd night to come out with that prediction.

I thought the Canucks dominated most of the night and the Flames capitalized on a couple of miscues and PP's. I think this game and the last one should scare the ever loving **** out of Hartley. The Flames just don't have it yet.

The Canucks owned the first 30 minutes but the Flames easily owned the last 35, as for Kassian he looked good with the Twins Sven wasn't given the same linemates and Sven is 2 years younger then Kassian 2 years ago Kassian only played 27 games in the nhl. This is a learning year for Sven to understand this league this year should be Kassians break out year as he has played parts of 2 years in the nhl before and according to the main board is the next great power forward.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
No he didn't the twins made great passes Kassian went to the net like he was suppose to. I am not knocking Kassian but he didn't carry that line.

Watched a different game then i guess.

Surprising a flames fan would say the sedins were playing well considering the sedin generally light the flames up and that was obviously not the case last night.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Watched a different game then i guess.

Surprising a flames fan would say the sedins were playing well considering the sedin generally light the flames up and that was obviously not the case last night.

Scoring=/= playing well, I don't hate the Canucks I like them (born and raised in Vancouver) the Twins were great created alot of scoring chances Kassian was invisible in the 3rd period and OT. The twins made some great plays just couldn't finish.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Scoring=/= playing well, I don't hate the Canucks I like them (born and raised in Vancouver) the Twins were great created alot of scoring chances Kassian was invisible in the 3rd period and OT. The twins made some great plays just couldn't finish.

Gladiator_Thumb_Down_01.gif

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

Never said scoring equals playing well. Sedins have not been themsleves to start the season.

The assertion that kassian had the game he did because he played with the twins is simply not based in reality.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Never said scoring equals playing well. Sedins have not been themsleves to start the season.

The assertion that kassian had the game he did because he played with the twins is simply not based in reality.

Sure it is Kassian barely had the puck on his stick he went to the net and used his body very effectively he did the same thing Burrows does but more effectively as he is bigger he wouldn't have been given the same room if he wasn't with the twins. He made some real nice plays he was helped by being with the twins I never said he was bad just that he didn't carry that line.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

boo-this-man.gif

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I like how some posters pretent to have their heads on their shoulders. You know, so logical that (s)he calls other posters homers with rollercoaster emotions and claims to know for FACT that his/her direction with this team is the only right answer. But then the second the Flames lose a game (s)he's putting the firing squad on the entire shoot-out line-up.

It reminds me of a teenager who cries over comments on facebook but can't seem to get off the internet.

On another, completely unrelated note, I wish there was one single smiley that combines all of the following:
:dunce: :badidea: :dunno: :loony: :blah:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I was really hoping the old guard was going to look different and be held accountable this year. No reason cammy or iggy should have been shooting. Backlund and Sven have too muchcreativity for them to not even be in the top five.

Honestly, I can actually picture a flames team without Jarome, Jay Bouw and even Cammy that could play at more or less the same level. I think this is the best year of any to do a quick rebuild. I think. Flames have the pieces to have a young top tierccompetitive team in one year if we tank this year.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I was really hoping the old guard was going to look different and be held accountable this year. No reason cammy or iggy should have been shooting. Backlund and Sven have too muchcreativity for them to not even be in the top five.

Honestly, I can actually picture a flames team without Jarome, Jay Bouw and even Cammy that could play at more or less the same level. I think this is the best year of any to do a quick rebuild. I think. Flames have the pieces to have a young top tierccompetitive team in one year if we tank this year.

Even if we aren't holding people accountable everyone knows Iggy shots high glove hand and Glencross has no dekes at all.

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
Can someone explain to me why whenever we dominate a period, we manage to score LESS goal than when the other team outplay us?? (2 goals in the 1st and only 1 in the 2nd against Anaheim, and 2 goals in the 2nd and non in the 3rd and OT last night....)

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Can someone explain to me why whenever we dominate a period, we manage to score LESS goal than when the other team outplay us?? (2 goals in the 1st and only 1 in the 2nd against Anaheim, and 2 goals in the 2nd and non in the 3rd and OT last night....)

Usually their goals come off of a fast break (also usually odd man) and Kipper is left out to dry but when we dominate the period their goalie has lots of help.

But it is frustrating as ****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad