Post-Game Talk: Canucks @ Wild | No Winnesota for the Canucks. Lose 6-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
There's nothing to even say about this game, it was just an exaggerated version of this entire season. The players that have contributed this season continued to, and the rest of the team ranges from irrelevant to terrible.

The one thing I will add on the Horvat discussion - there is a big difference between being asked to be out there vs a fresh PP1 as opposed to being the second or third unit out there. He will be fine as a penalty killer, but he is misplaced as a top penalty killer when he is only ready for a depth role.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
There's nothing to even say about this game, it was just an exaggerated version of this entire season. The players that have contributed this season continued to, and the rest of the team ranges from irrelevant to terrible.

The one thing I will add on the Horvat discussion - there is a big difference between being asked to be out there vs a fresh PP1 as opposed to being the second or third unit out there. He will be fine as a penalty killer, but he is misplaced as a top penalty killer when he is only ready for a depth role.

I'll agree with this.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Did they bench the Sedins for most of the third? I'm trying to figure out how Henrik gets 11 minutes of ice time in a 2 point night.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
I'm surprised because Benning said this team could compete for a playoff spot...isn't everything GMs say gospel? :sarcasm:

Didn't Benning say things like how he expected this to be a 100-point team, that this would be a better team - one that would perform better than last year's in the playoffs, and that he wanted our young players to develop in a winning environment? Or was that just posturing as well and, secretly, everything's going according to his master plan?

He's either been extremely incompetent or has been the biggest slimeball of a GM this team has ever had (which was one of your biggest criticisms of Gillis IIRC).

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Did they bench the Sedins for most of the third? I'm trying to figure out how Henrik gets 11 minutes of ice time in a 2 point night.

WD decided to give them a breather as he felt that they seemed like the only line that was actually playing.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Didn't Benning say things like how he expected this to be a 100-point team, that this would be a better team - one that would perform better than last year's in the playoffs, and that he wanted our young players to develop in a winning environment? Or was that just posturing as well and, secretly, everything's going according to his master plan?

If they wanted last year team they could have brought everyone back and hope for good injury luck again. Instead they made changes and went with young players. We have no depth so every injury is a Huge blow this year i think Benning thought Horvat would be better and the team would not suck in ot.

The Jesus*

This is what each and every single one of you wanted. Back during the pre-season when Willie was benching the kids, and every single one of you was frothing at the mouth and calling for his head because of it. What the **** did you think was gonna happen when we ice a bunch of crap rookies? Not one of you came out in support of Willie doing what he could with the hand he was given to try to force Benning's hand to give him a real NHL team. Not one. It was just me, and you all mocked me for it.

Every. Last. One. Of. You. You all demanded this. And now that it's here, you guys have the audacity to blame Willie still. Truly mind boggling.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
This is what each and every single one of you wanted. Back during the pre-season when Willie was benching the kids, and every single one of you was frothing at the mouth and calling for his head because of it. What the **** did you think was gonna happen when we ice a bunch of crap rookies?

Every. Last. One. Of. You. You all demanded this. And now that it's here, you guys have the audacity to blame Willie still. Truly mind boggling.

Quote 3 people.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Willie was looking rough tonight

Not really. I just saw his presser, seems calm, doesn't really care. He said "without Miller it COULD have been bad....." This wasn't bad for him?

He said and I quote " a lot of guys are competing hard"
Really? A lot of guys?

He needs to go ASAP.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Benning has said a lot of things. Among them, was something along the lines of - we may have to take a step back before we become a better playoff team. Anyways, I don't think anything he says should be taken to heart. He rambles a lot, and has the tough task of rebuilding while pretending (for the season tix holders) that they aren't rebuilding.

This was a brutal game. Or a least a number of really, really bad shifts. Send McCann to the wjc's if this is how the team is going to play. He doesn't need to be a part of losses like this. It's tough to watch, but it needs to happen in order to get high picks and sell at the deadline. sigh

Just watching a few games of this is tough... the Oilers have been suffering through this for years now. poor ********

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Not really. I just saw his presser, seems calm, doesn't really care. He said "without Miller it COULD have been bad....." This wasn't bad for him?

He said and I quote " a lot of guys are competing hard"
Really? A lot of guys?

He needs to go ASAP.

He looked nervous, unshaven, and unkempt today on the bench. Presser visage can be however he wants it to be.

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
Can't stand him

This is what each and every single one of you wanted. Back during the pre-season when Willie was benching the kids, and every single one of you was frothing at the mouth and calling for his head because of it. What the **** did you think was gonna happen when we ice a bunch of crap rookies? Not one of you came out in support of Willie doing what he could with the hand he was given to try to force Benning's hand to give him a real NHL team. Not one. It was just me, and you all mocked me for it.

100% correct.
I won't say everyone however a large segment here said they'd much rather watch the kids learn from their mistakes here than watch washed up players.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

You truly are jesus! You are always right about everything!

Tell me the next winning lottery numbers :handclap:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Outside of the Sedins nobody is scoring. I'd rather watch the kids on the ice than Higgins, Vrbata, Dorsett, Cracknell, Prust, and Burrows plodding around not scoring anyway.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
"This is unacceptable. Where we are in the standings is unacceptable. It starts with each and every guy stepping up their game" - D. Sedin

"It was coach's call if I should stay in or not. He said Marky after the 2nd and that's that"
- Miller #Canucks

If only AV had been this assertive or Luongo less stubborn in that 2011 Boston game...

Anyways are we trying to blame Miller for agreeing to get pulled here or something?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I've never bashed Willie benching the kids

it's just what every NHL headcoach and every fanbase complain about

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
If only AV had been this assertive or Luongo less stubborn in that 2011 Boston game...

Please. Markstrom should have started the game. The games should at least be 50/50 at this point. It's ridiculous that this player is leading the NHL in starts, like he's prime ****ing Marty Brodeur.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
For all the crapping on the rookies who make up the middle 6 of this team (and yes, Horvat is not having a good year without Sutter) what we really have is a bunch of veterans who have been mailing it in since arguably 2012 and definitely 2013. I mean this is what Higgins has been for awhile now. Burr tries but he hasn't been the same since that one drought year. Vrbata is 34. Heck even Hansen has shown the ability to coast in the last couple of years, how would he be doing if we didn't stick him with the Sedins?

We still don't know what the rooks on the team can do, I'm more than willing to live with the mistakes but I've seen this song and dance from several long tenured Canucks for long enough.

I still hope Miller can turn it around but this is what separates him career-wise from Luongo. Luongo could put up gaudy numbers on terrible teams and outright steal games. Miller always looked like he was playing well in Buffalo but at the end of the day his numbers tell a different story. Looking back he might well have gotten a pass just because of Buffalo's reputation. And unfortunately even though he isn't terrible, the fact is that his salary could be going towards paying actual NHL defencemen.

Anyhow I won't stop watching but I can't say I'm terribly surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad