Pre-Game Talk: Canucks vs. Kings, Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
meh on faceoffs; not that they're unimportant but Sutter can actually play as a solid defensive 3C. Beagle is a bottom six forward/4C. Sutter can take much (if not all) the tough defensive assignments of Horvat. Beagle can't.

And this is coming from someone who wasn't a fan of the Sutter trade.
I agree, just answering the guy who thought getting Beagle back was important than Sutter, because of face-offs.

Btw I didn't like the Sutter trade either, Bonino would have been a nice player to have right now

Reactions: Hit the post

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I agree, just answering the guy who thought getting Beagle back was important than Sutter, because of face-offs.

Btw I didn't like the Sutter trade either, Bonino would have been a nice player to have right now

Imagine if we had just stand pat and still have players like Bonino and Richardson.

Now we have garbage Leipsic, Motte, Schaeller, Granlund, Roussel, and we actually gave up assets to get some of them.

Reactions: mathonwy

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Sutter can take face-offs to you know. He is the player that saves Bo from Shutdown work. Beagle is a 12 minute a game 4th liner that is useful, but he is not important for this teams success. Sutter is probably the 4th best forward on this team (which is sad, more talent is needed).
Obviously Sutter is the better player,but he’s miles away from being back in the lineup..Beagle is due back early December..He’s one of the shutdown centers,which eases up the workload on Horvat.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Gaunce would've done the job of soaking up all the tough minutes in the defensive zone perfectly fine while Sutter/Beagle have been out so Horvat wouldn't have had to be the one holding down the fort - thus freeing him up to be used more for offense. Coaching and management just didn't recognize that however.

Reactions: MS and daddyohsix

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada

I personally would have traded Bonino at the deadline when you consider what Martin Hanzal got at the Deadline at the time(a 1st + 2nd).

The big problem with the Beagle signing is that Gaudette is holding his own currently and when both him and Sutter are healthy there's no space for him. Ideally Benning is testing the market on Sutter, but who really knows.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I personally would have traded Bonino at the deadline when you consider what Martin Hanzal got at the Deadline at the time(a 1st + 2nd).

The big problem with the Beagle signing is that Gaudette is holding his own currently and when both him and Sutter are healthy there's no space for him. Ideally Benning is testing the market on Sutter, but who really knows.

Gaudette has 1 goal in 20+ games. Yes he is holding his own but i have higher hopes for him than being a bottom 6 player.

He is coming off a 30 goal 60 point season at NorthEastern.

I would love for Gaudette to be in the AHL and dominate and play every top offensive situation. He needs it for his development and confidence

Im 100% against rookie forwards making the NHL right away unless they will be in a top 6 role.

Reactions: daddyohsix

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Green on radio saying Boeser skated hard 5 days in a row and is coming along great.

He says he is possibly in tomorrow or Thursday.

**Update**

Boeser is taking full part at practice.

Boeser is on a line with EP40 and Goldy

This is awesome news.

Really wish Sven well, if he was available then teams would have a real tough time keying in on Boeser/EP/Goldy/Bo/Bae/Virtanenorother

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

I'm a big fan of the Hockey Gaud as the next guy,but to say he's holding his own is a bit of a stretch...

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Gaudette is holding his own in terms of hustle and passable defense. His offense is not there yet. Beagle signing is not a problem at all. As soon as Sutter/Beagle are back Gaudette should go down to the Comets to work on his offense and confidence.

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Gaudette is holding his own in terms of hustle and passable defense. His offense is not there yet. Beagle signing is not a problem at all. As soon as Sutter/Beagle are back Gaudette should go down to the Comets to work on his offense and confidence.
Agreed on his hustle..he gives 110% on every shift..I'm just noticing him getting really manhandled...Sutter is out long term so he's probably going to get a longer look.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
In practice this morning;

PP1: Gagner, Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Edler
PP2: Goldobin, Granlund, Eriksson, Leipsic, Hutton

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Yes but not for the next 3 years that Sutter and Beagle are signed for.

The term on Beagle is ridiculous. Nic Dowd is performing the same role on a one year contract for Washington.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Granlund, Leipsic, Eriksson on PP2 ahead of Virtnanen is ridiculous. Wake up Travis, he was your best forward last game and other nights recently, what does the guy have to do to play over 3 players that need to be off this team??

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Beagle's contract may bite us down the road, but he was outstanding in his time here. Our PK fell apart without him and Sutter. Look at how many faceoffs Horvat's having to take right now. Having a great faceoff guy does really help Horvat and Pettersson in terms of deployment, hopefully getting them out there in a more offensive capacity.

I think Beagle's contract is a bit overblown in terms of how bad it is. Might not be the best near the end, but as long as he retains his FO mastery and PK abilities I think he'll be a useful player.

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
The beagle signing is a big problem because its 4 freaking years at 3 million for a 4th liner. Thats a horrible deal for a player thats only great skill is face-offs.

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Beagle's contract may bite us down the road, but he was outstanding in his time here. Our PK fell apart without him and Sutter. Look at how many faceoffs Horvat's having to take right now. Having a great faceoff guy does really help Horvat and Pettersson in terms of deployment, hopefully getting them out there in a more offensive capacity.

I think Beagle's contract is a bit overblown in terms of how bad it is. Might not be the best near the end, but as long as he retains his FO mastery and PK abilities I think he'll be a useful player.
No the PK fell apart with Sutter going down, Beagle is 4th liner that isn't a very good PK.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
If you told me at the beginning of the season that Goldobin, Eriksson, Virtanen and Motte were in Utica's top 6 I wouldn't bat an eye.

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
That's not what I saw at all but I guess that just shows reality is a subjective experience.
The Pk was 88% with Beagle and Sutter on it and 82% with just Sutter. The biggest reason for the drop is 4 Goals against vs Washington and Winnipeg, the 2 best PP in the league.

Then again making stats of 5 games and 8 game samples is useless.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

Edler and Hutton should be swapped. Hutton has shown the ability to put the puck in EP's wheel house for the one timer, Edler just seems to put it slightly off. Probably from all the years just having to get the puck to that spot for Hank to make the next pass- no threat of a shot.

Also I hate Leipsic there for the 2nd unit. I didn't watch the game Saturday, only highlights but I've heard great things on Jakes game from that one. Why not reward him for that effort? As well I really don't like all left shots on the unit- it becomes very one dimensional. Jake should be there instead of Leipsic.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes but not for the next 3 years that Sutter and Beagle are signed for.

The term on Beagle is ridiculous. Nic Dowd is performing the same role on a one year contract for Washington.
Trades are always possible. Sutter goes froma NTC to a 15 team trade list. Add in retention and it’s completey possible that the Canucks deal sutter at either the tdl or draft.

But comes down to how confident the organization is in gaudette. Plus if they incur injuries again next year they want some depth so that they don’t have to keep over using Horvat.

Gaunce at this stage likely does not get qualified and he leaves in free agency. Same could apply to Granny. Are there any AHL guys who play C that you would call up next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad