GDT: Canucks visit Habs Monday, Feb 1- 4pm PST/TUES, Feb 2 11am AEDT/Feb 2 8am HKT/Feb 2 1am CET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Oh Jesus....just stop with this.

Unlike you guys this hockey team isn't my life. I have no control over the team. If the team was actually terrible and had no hope then sure, I wouldn't put up with it. However there's lots to like about this team, enough that they're worth believing in and being positive about.

Unlike you I’m not policing how your cheer for the team.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
source.gif

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
They should have traded him every time he put forth one of those looked good spurts. Waiting and hoping he gets it doesn't appear to be in the cards. Know when to fold.

He was my pick as bait to move one of the bad contracts but it didn’t happen and somehow he’s becoming the bad contract.

Reactions: mriswith

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Yeah, pretty much! I meant I'm not saying act like everything is hunky Dory, sunshine and rainbows either. I'm talking about the extreme rhetoric the second things look bad for the team.

Folks can gatekeep their fandom with this "We aren't suckers, we expect a Cup winner!!" shtick all they want (as if the rest of don't want that too LOL!) but it's only an excuse to justify the instant childish whining at times.

Completely agree, worth repeating.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
First off, I'd say that he's actually a bad amateur scout, too.

I agree and was sort of being tongue in cheek.

The Canucks have clearly benefitted from folks like Eric Crawford (what organization is he working for again...?) and Judd Brackett I would say in spite of Benning and not because of him.

It's silly to think that there's a binary switch between "pro" and "amateur" scouting which was the point I was kinda driving for. Yes, there are different things you need to be evaluating (your point about cap impact is one factor), but you should be able to assess talent regardless of it being pro or amateur. Again, let's take a look at Eric Crawford and how he transitioned from amateur to pro scouting.

The fact that there's been so many goddamned duds from Benning means to me that his ~*~ talent whisperer ~*~ abilities are f***ing overblown. You can't look at just Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser and not include Vey, Gudbranson, Sbisa, etc. As I keep saying, the overall bad outweighs the good with Benning.

1) Everything he does is 2-3 years late. Virtually every move he's made is an NHL player who maybe would have made sense as a target a few years earlier, but for whom a large amount of more recent information should have made it obvious that that player is actually now a poor target. And prospects he liked as junior players 3-4 years earlier who are now busting. Very much like the average casual fan in this respect.

2) Pro scouting is no longer 'evaluating how good a player is'. It's evaluating the value of the player relative to his current cap hit. If salaries were all the same and there was no cap, sure, maybe Jay Beagle is a slightly better #4 center than Gaunce or Dowd. But Beagle at $3 million is not better value than Gaunce or Dowd at $800k, and you're hurting the team elsewhere with that sort of poor evaluation.

Yeah, both of this goes back to how Benning's priorities are skewed in an unhealthy fashion and (probably) a lack of decent methodology or analytics within the Canucks organization, especially when compared to other organizations (how has Montreal's pro scouting been, incidentally?)

Reactions: MS and rypper

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
JT Miller playing like a depressed lost little puppy dog.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Petey still looks like he has Bambi legs when he skates. I wonder if that will ever change

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I am definitely putting some money down on the canucks tomorrow lol

If they show any pride, they will win.

This game has just been all out depressing

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Ya, who friggin’ cares about a 2.5 million per year office job?

Unless you think there is a direct 1-to-1 translation between how hard you work and how much money you make I'm not quite sure what you're trying to argue. Does Jake Virtanen give you the impression that he's worked hard to improve his game this offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad