Confirmed with Link: Canucks trade Dickinson & 2nd (2024) to Chicago for Riley Stillman

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I’d rather keep our 2nd rounder, we don’t have much in the system and this core isn’t going anywhere. No need to give up good picks to dump cap when we’re not contenders, but we also shouldnt have been signing UFA’s to big dollar contracts when we don't have the cap room.
I don't think they were going to stand pat after committing to Miller and also about to commit to Horvat (?). The plan is now to try to become a contender, as hopeful and largely unrealistic as it sounds.

Now they're going to have to commit to moving Poolman/more cap and acquiring competent D.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
So short-sighted. This team isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Not till far after Dickenson contract was off the books naturally. We gave up a 2nd for what? To have a bit more cap space in a 2 dead years.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Anyone that’s good with the cap numbers - wouldn’t we save the same amount of cap if we just waived him? Or would we not be cap compliant?

If so, owner maybe didn’t want to pay him to play in AHL.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I don’t follow
My point is that there’s one of two reasons this trade happens

1. FAQ doesn’t want to pay 2.7/3.25 for a guy in the AHL
2. Their hand is forced because of the injuries that complicate their cap situation.

If they wanted to dump the contract and weaponize the space, it’s really close to the season start and doing so would be difficult. If they had the foresight to think that they might run into injuries, they could have moved Dick for a second earlier and then weaponized the capspace on a guaranteed deal to Motte, De Haan etc.

I really don’t buy that the cost to move Dickinson was cheaper now than it was in Aug/early Sept.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I don't think they were going to stand pat after committing to Miller and also about to commit to Horvat (?). The plan is now to try to become a contender, as hopeful and largely unrealistic as it sounds.

Now they're going to have to commit to moving Poolman/more cap and acquiring competent D.

well they went shopping for UFA’s before signing Miller well keeping holes on the D and Horvat as a pending UFA. They also ell knew we’re tight to the cap and have anchor contracts on the team with a weak prospect pool. Just seems like Benning days all over again.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
A 2nd is a fair price to dump Dickerson imo. What benning paid for him is irrelevant
Why dump him? You gave up a 2nd which is a potential roster player in the next 2 years that’s cost controlled to save 1.3M for the next 2 years (1.5% of the budget). That’s a stupid trade for us.

Reactions: geebaan

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
There's no alternative, have to do this to compete now. Poolman needs to be next.

I’d rather keep our 2nd rounder, we don’t have much in the system and this core isn’t going anywhere. No need to give up good picks to dump cap when we’re not contenders, but we also shouldnt have been signing UFA’s to big dollar contracts when we don't have the cap room.
Too late, they committed to this kind of plan when they re-upped Miller and signalled that we're trying to compete immediately.

They had to either aggressively restock or aggressively try to compete and they chose compete. We need some home runs to be competitive and we need cap space to even take a swing, so there's no choice. I preferred the aggressively restock path but it's too late now.

You don’t get much cap savings by doing that though. This is the only way to get out completely from his dreadful contract.
I remember how much heat you got in the Dickinson signing thread. And here we are now.

Reactions: BimJenning and Play

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
My point is that there’s one of two reasons this trade happens

1. FAQ doesn’t want to pay 2.7/3.25 for a guy in the AHL
2. Their hand is forced because of the injuries that complicate their cap situation.

If they wanted to dump the contract and weaponize the space, it’s really close to the season start and doing so would be difficult. If they had the foresight to think that they might run into injuries, they could have moved Dick for a second earlier and then weaponized the capspace on a guaranteed deal to Motte, De Haan etc.

I really don’t buy that the cost to move Dickinson was cheaper now than it was in Aug/early Sept.

Right. So how does this contradict with my statement that it is “about time,” ie that they should have done this two months ago? I feel like we are in agreement.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
I know it had to be done, but I still really hate seeing them lose a 2nd with the cupboard as bare as it is.

• Haha
Reactions: Play

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
There's no alternative, have to do this to compete now. Poolman needs to be next.

Too late, they committed to this kind of plan when they re-upped Miller and signalled that we're trying to compete immediately.

They had to either aggressively restock or aggressively try to compete and they chose compete. We need some home runs to be competitive and we need cap space to even take a swing, so there's no choice. I preferred the aggressively restock path but it's too late now.

I remember how much heat you got in the Dickinson signing thread. And here we are now.

The F are you on about? They “had to do this to compete now”

The net 1.3M they get makes them a competitor? Lol. What?

Reactions: AwesomeInTheory

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Right. So how does this contradict with my statement that it is “about time,” ie that they should have done this two months ago? I feel like we are in agreement.
Because I don’t see the benefit of doing it now. I don’t see why it’s an about time if it should have happened before.

If it’s because of LTI worries, they should have had the foresight and done this move earlier.

Maybe I’m being unreasonable.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary

They had to either aggressively restock or aggressively try to compete and they chose compete. We need some home runs to be competitive and we need cap space to even take a swing, so there's no choice.

Oh I agree their commit now and they want to make these moves, it’s just the wrong move that’s going to end up horribly for us.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Anyone that’s good with the cap numbers - wouldn’t we save the same amount of cap if we just waived him? Or would we not be cap compliant?

If so, owner maybe didn’t want to pay him to play in AHL.

it actually costs the team slightly more than burying dickinson would cost but it lets them send down wolanin/rathbone instead of karlsson/aman and field a reasonable roster

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Unrelated but I suspect they didn’t want to pay the price in the off-season but the nature of the mounting injuries forced their hand. Going further, I suspect they could have been completely cap compliant but have another target worked out and/or want a bigger cushion for grabbing someone off waivers.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Pros
-cap space is nice. Get somewhere around 2.3m if we don't keep stillman up.
Cons
-another asset out the door. How we use this extra cap is crucial. Can't spend asset to get rid of cap and then use it poorly.
-no more dick jokes during GDT, but may be a pro depending on your maturity

Reactions: mossey3535

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Didn’t have to be done. It’s another short sighted , not willing to rebuild properly and wait move. You burn a 2nd round pick to save 1.3M on a non playoff team currently.

its getting so annoying watching the same shit show from the management group, imo these guys don’t seem any better than Benning, we all know who the puppet master.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Almost like we should of used that 2nd++ towards Chychrun while also dumping Dickinson/Poolman.

NHL doesn’t work like that.

It’s not like the NBA where bad contracts are frequently used as salary filler to make trades happen.

They would have had to have paid a cost to dump a contract within a trade like Chychrun anyways.

Reactions: mossey3535 and Play

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

They had to either aggressively restock or aggressively try to compete and they chose compete. We need some home runs to be competitive and we need cap space to even take a swing, so there's no choice.

I’m glad somebody remembers. The contract was terrible relative to his peers and it was clear at the time to anyone who bothered to look.

If it’s because of LTI worries, they should have had the foresight and done this move earlier.

Maybe I’m being unreasonable.

I agree it should have been done earlier. That is what “about time” means.

Maybe I am losing my mind.

Dickinson should have been bought out at the start of the offseason. I am as frustrated as anyone that it took until October 7th for them to dump one of Bennings awful contracts. I agree.

But I’m glad we’re dumping? Dickinson is terrible. His contract was terrible the moment the ink was dry. Being out from that contract is a good thing, overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad