Confirmed with Link: Canucks trade Dickinson & 2nd (2024) to Chicago for Riley Stillman

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I viewed that deal as a huge win for the Flames the minute it was made

Hamilton has always been a #1 defenseman on paper but he just never seems to rise to the occasion or fit in with a teams core to the point where he's a difference maker. If he's your guy your not gonna be a legit contender

Fox was never going to sign with the Flames so what do you do when he's about to walk to UFA and what is the expected return?

Ferland was a 3rd liner

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
9 seasons with Columbus. EP played how many with us? 4? So we have 5 more years to convince him to stay. That’s a lot and taking a step back for one season isn’t going to make or break anything.

It doesn't work like that. Just look what happened after the bubble season, and then lost Tanev and Marky. Players would quit on the team, then want out.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wonder how Bryan McCabe would've turned out on the Canucks. Wishful thinking, he became a really good PP quarterback with the Leafs.

He would have been a top 4 staple here. We probably would have loved him for many years as long as he was on a good contract.

It doesn't work like that. Just look what happened after the bubble season, and then lost Tanev and Marky. Players would quit on the team, then want out.

I would distinguish between wanting out, not wanting to commit long term to the team, and quitting on the team. One does not equal the other.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I'm not getting this narrative that management had a "strategy" to trade away assets this summer. That decision was decided at the last trade deadline, when they suddenly took Miller off the market. It was at that time they decided to go "all in". So blaming the market for "poor returns" is really irrelevant if they had no intention of trading Boeser, Horvat or Miller.
I believe it was very widely reported that they were in trade talks right up until draft and possibly for a couple weeks after it. Im not sure why you thought they had stopped trying at the trade deadline. They certainly had a high price for Milker, as they should have.

And the poor market is absolutely relevant for any armchair prognostications about what they should have done. The flat cap has made things tough to trade.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I seriously doubt the return on Boeser would be even that significant (eg., one blue chip pick/prospect) given the huge contract he just
I seriously doubt the return on Boeser would be even that significant (eg., one blue chip pick/prospect) given the huge contract he just signed by the new management team.
I like Boeser quite a bit but that previous contract, arb eligibility, and high QO made it tough to extract value in a trade. Especially in the flat cap era where more teams than usual are capped out.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
As long as all three were on a scaling Fiala return level(scaling as in Boeser probably slightly less but Horvat and miller more) or better it’s definitely worth it still.

Miller and oel is going to be much worse than Seguin and Benn, might even be as bad as Suter and Parise. Suter and Parise might have cost the Wild a cup too.

The problem is that there aren’t many teams in a position to make a good offer for a top line player given that most of the teams are capped out, even though they’re middle of the pack. Supply far out ripped demand, hence the reason Pacioretty gets traded for peanuts. Also, Fiala was coming off of 33goal 85point season and only returned a pick and a prospect.

Horvat and Miller may have gotten that but I’m not sure that’s enough to go in a full rebuild. Management would have to sell a full rebuild to the likes of Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko if they want them to stick around. I suspect they’d need to show a decent haul in return for trading three of their best players to make a convincing argument that they could rebuild reasonably quickly.

Bottom line is that the Canucks are kind of stuck in no man’s land this summer partly if their own making and partly due to circumstances.

I was onboard with trading one or two high end pieces to perhaps take a step back in order to fix glaring issues on blue line, restock the prospect pool, and give them some cap flexibility. But clearly the price wasn’t there to make it all work under the premise that the front office tried to make some trades, which I believe was true through most of the summer.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I like Boeser quite a bit but that previous contract, arb eligibility, and high QO made it tough to extract value in a trade. Especially in the flat cap era where more teams than usual are capped out.
Oh to be sure, I'm still a fan of Boeser. You want those type of characters (both on & off the ice). It's just that he's being paid on potential right now (with term). That's a fair amount of risk (JR seemed to be put in a no-win situation with respect to Boeser's QO - another great landmine left by the previous management).

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Oh to be sure, I'm still a fan of Boeser. You want those type of characters (both on & off the ice). It's just that he's being paid on potential right now (with term). That's a fair amount of risk (JR seemed to be put in a no-win situation with respect to Boeser's QO - another great landmine left by the previous management).
Yeah, mostly agree here, it was a tough situation which made signing a short term contract one of the only viable solutions, and even that carries risk. If Boeser stays mostly healthy after this surgery he should be a good two way top line winger that scores 30+ goals and 65+ points, which is worth that contract AVV. Staying healthy is the crux of it though and he’s had yet another preseason injury…

Reactions: Hit the post

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Why am i reading two way winger for boeser.. ive seen it a couple times atleast now..

Love the guy but.. pearson is a two way winger

Reactions: Vector

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I wonder how Bryan McCabe would've turned out on the Canucks. Wishful thinking, he became a really good PP quarterback with the Leafs.
it sure hurt to move him, and it was a pretty gutsy call to trade him for two chubby swedish guys that didn't truly pay off until two gms later.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Chubby? Young Sedins were skinny, not chubby.

i saw them up close in tshirts and shorts during their draft summer. not saying they were fat but they were carrying a layer of baby fat. when i met them later it was like they had shrunk.

Reactions: Indiana

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
i saw them up close in tshirts and shorts during their draft summer. not saying they were fat but they were carrying a layer of baby fat. when i met them later it was like they had shrunk.

I just don't see it. Hank always had a larger forehead but I've never heard anyone ever refer to them as chubby.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Good trade, got a decent depth defenceman with good size plus some much needed cap space. A little bit of wiggle room is always good as it gives management more options and flexibility.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 1.37.12 AM.png

Like seriously.........................why didn't Dickinson work for us at center. God forbid if he played him there which would have allowed us to keep Miller on the wing. Damn.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad