Line Combos: Canucks Top 9

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
They may try something different to start off with but I think Green will be quick to default to the lotto line. That limits the rest of the lineup, especially since I think the Pearson/Horvat combo will stay the same.

Lotto
Pearson-Horvat- Garland
Hoglander-Dickinson- Podkolzin
Di Giuseppe - Sutter- Highmore
MacEwen

** once Motte comes in I think he moves to the 3rd line, especially if there is any intention of having a “shutdown line there. What that means for Pod is up in the air. Could definitely see a part time watch in the press box development strategy for him

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think MacEwen is far from a lock to make the team, much less be in the top 12 skaters. Makes a little bit more $ than some of the depth options, wasn't very good last year, and really seemed to lose the trust of Green.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
100% agree.

Hogz should be 3rd line to further develop at this level, he has only 1 shortened season with limited travel. Wait until he does a couple swings through NY and South.Fl.

Podz needs to play his first NHL game and show he can keep up with the NHL pace before we crown him with the Calder playing first or second line minutes.

Yup. It’s absolutely asinine the way people talk about Podz who has never played a minute in the nhl lol.
Not even going to mention he’s a top 10 pick that is described as a grinder. People don’t talk about how he was punted from the national team, didn’t play in the big club at SKA and production has decreased year over year.

yes he wins board battles and competes. He also has a muffin as a shot and dropped from central scouting before the draft. (He was once predicted to go as high as 3, then dropped out of the top 10).

some fans need to grasp on to everything and then complain when they are disappointed.

Reactions: SamInVan

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Yup. It’s absolutely asinine the way people talk about Podz who has never played a minute in the nhl lol.
Not even going to mention he’s a top 10 pick that is described as a grinder. People don’t talk about how he was punted from the national team, didn’t play in the big club at SKA and production has decreased year over year.

yes he wins board battles and competes. He also has a muffin as a shot and dropped from central scouting before the draft. (He was once predicted to go as high as 3, then dropped out of the top 10).

some fans need to grasp on to everything and then complain when they are disappointed.

however, many suggested the main reason he dropped is because he was already signed for 2 years in Russia. And the Russian factor.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
*Enters the thread

*Sees that both Dickinson and Sutter are being suggested as top line wingers

*Slowly exits the thread...
Not at the same time pal, theres a few options tho:

Miller Pettersson MacEwan
Dickinson Horvat Garland
Pearson Sutter Boeser
Motte Podz Hoglander

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
however, many suggested the main reason he dropped is because he was already signed for 2 years in Russia. And the Russian factor.

That’s true ya. Nobody talks about his lack of point production for a top 10 pick. The expect him to be a top 6 NHL forward when he wasn’t really producing at SKA. 33 points in 88 games …

3 goals in 21 world championship games

Those don’t scream impact NHL player to anyone else but die hard Canucks fans.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Not at the same time pal, theres a few options tho:

Miller Pettersson MacEwan
Dickinson Horvat Garland
Pearson Sutter Boeser
Motte Podz Hoglander

Pettersson / Podz aren’t Center’s. So this cannot happen.

and before people come at me with the EP40 is a Center … if he’s not taking the FO then it’s not his line.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

The thing that primarily concerned me about looking at pre-draft (and post draft) Pod is his lack of production. Obviously some added risk with the ‘Russian Factor’ but for me at least it wasn’t the primary concern

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
How one can think Gadjovich should be playing 4th line minutes over Motte truly blows my mind. It's like they are playing EA sports and are trying to maximize the 'potential' out of a player. And also how would a coach explain that?

Reactions: bh53 and m9

Baberham Lincoln

Nov 5, 2019
Toronto
Do we have a fo coach anymore? Just wondering if we do and EP could improve his winning percentage with some work. Seems like a big deal to have to do an extra step Everytime he's on the ice for a FO. It's his 4th season already and this year they actually get time to practice.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I don’t think Dickinson is a good fit on the top line. He has zero offense. Rather make him the 4C and move up a winger like Mackewan or Gadjovich to the 3rd line.
Dickinson isn't getting paid what he is to be on the 4th line... though you never know with this FO

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Dickinson isn't getting paid what he is to be on the 4th line... though you never know with this FO
Feel like that would be a really strong 4th line though. And he would be taking key faceoffs at the end of games at times along with being on the #1 pk.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Here is my take, sorry if I am coming in late to the party:

Miller/Pettersson/Boeser
Garland/Horvat/Hoglander
Pearson/Dickinson/Motte
MacEwan/Sutter/Podkolzin
Extra fowards: Highmore, Di Giuseppe, Petan

First line is probably what we see opening night. I think they will want to preserve that. Despite Miller likely moving off the first line to juice up the depth as an early-season mixup, my guess is that he maintains his spot on the top PP unit at the very least.

Horvat slots into a second line that looks suspiciously like a 1A. Garland will not have to always face off against the opposing team's best players, and Horvat finally has two complete wingers with lots of hustle and offensive skill to play with.

The third line is a shutdown line, which can play a strong defense-first two-way game which can also forecheck and drive possession. Looking forward to seeing what Motte can do when he's healthy and playing alongside newly-acquired Dickinson and steady Pearson. Motte played a lot with Beagle and and I think Dickinson/Motte will look seamless.

No need to rush Podkolzin into big minutes. The fourth line is big, and playing with MacEwan and Sutter will insulate Podkolzin enough to let him play and develop his game - especially early in the season.

The Canucks lineup has a lot of players who play solid two way games and who can slot up and down the lineup, so I imagine many different line combos will look like recipes for success.

finally a sensible line up that doesn’t put Dickinson and/or podzolkin in the top six

Dural

Jul 1, 2013
I think MacEwen is far from a lock to make the team, much less be in the top 12 skaters. Makes a little bit more $ than some of the depth options, wasn't very good last year, and really seemed to lose the trust of Green.
Mac easily makes the team. He's the only player we have that fights/plays physical with consistency, plus he can get around the ice and has decent hands.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Pettersson / Podz aren’t Center’s. So this cannot happen.

and before people come at me with the EP40 is a Center … if he’s not taking the FO then it’s not his line.
Fine:

Pettersson Miller MacEwan
Podz Horvat Garland
Pearson Sutter Boeser
Motte Dickinson Hoglander

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I'm just curious about why you would take the teams leading goalscorer and play him with two guys who had a combined 11 assists in 94 games last season...

Like why?

Sorry, he posts like this regularly. Take the expected lines, and then take one player from each line and make 4 random lines. I would not lose sleep over it.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
What I think will happen -

Boeser - Pettersson - Miller
Pearson - Horvat - Garland
Podkolzin - Dickinson - Hoglander
Motte* - Sutter - Highmore

(if Motte isn’t ready to go, one of MacEwen, Dowling or Di Giuseppe)

I think Green likes Pearson/Horvat together too much to do the obvious good thing which is have Hoglander/Garland be Horvat’s wingers. I also can’t see Green going away from the Lotto Line permanently.

Reactions: supercanuck

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Fine:

Pettersson Miller MacEwan
Podz Horvat Garland
Pearson Sutter Boeser
Motte Dickinson Hoglander

much better as far as Centre’s go. The fact that you have Macewen on a top line in the nhl and Boeser on the 3rd tells me everything I need to know about your hockey prowess

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Do we have a fo coach anymore? Just wondering if we do and EP could improve his winning percentage with some work. Seems like a big deal to have to do an extra step Everytime he's on the ice for a FO. It's his 4th season already and this year they actually get time to practice.

That would take away from him modelling his clothing line tho.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
The thing that primarily concerned me about looking at pre-draft (and post draft) Pod is his lack of production. Obviously some added risk with the ‘Russian Factor’ but for me at least it wasn’t the primary concern

This. You don’t draft “low point producing , good at board battles” type of players in the top 10. You draft the blue the doors off, all he does is score type players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad