News Article: Canucks taking a Closer Look at Western Canada Prospects

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah, Ontario has been money since it got revamped. Canucks were horrible in Ontario before that, so hopefully something similar happens in the other parts of Canada.

That's what my hope is for the Dub, though the OHL did require hiring someone new (Palango).

That being said, anyone know how we got him? Did we hire him away from another organization? Better pay presumably?

Above all though, I'm just hoping for accountability when it comes to the WHL. That way we'll finally see some progress, nepotism be damned.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I don't know that it's fair to say our scouts are horrible. Average maybe, but I wouldn't say they're horrible. The only way people seem to judge their horribleness is whether we get the hyped players or not. 09 draft has a ton of late round results and same thing goes for 11. People criticize the Mallet pick but it's been less than a year since he got drafted — how can you even judge him? He's playing well right now and it was known right away he would need some time. He was going to get picked within less than 30 picks anyway since there were other teams ready to pick him.

L4cer8

Mar 27, 2012
Arizona
I don't know that it's fair to say our scouts are horrible. Average maybe, but I wouldn't say they're horrible. The only way people seem to judge their horribleness is whether we get the hyped players or not. 09 draft has a ton of late round results and same thing goes for 11. People criticize the Mallet pick but it's been less than a year since he got drafted — how can you even judge him? He's playing well right now and it was known right away he would need some time. He was going to get picked within less than 30 picks anyway since there were other teams ready to pick him.

People judge our scouts so harshly because we have barely any of our draft picks turning into NHLers.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
People judge our scouts so harshly because we have barely any of our draft picks turning into NHLers.

How much time has it been exactly? Since Gillis got to the organization we've produced Hodgson and Schroeder, so no 1st round busts so far. Rodin is a disappointment since his shoulder injuries, but Cannata and Andersson look to be on the path to the NHL. In 2011 you have sure shots to make NHL in Jensen and Corrado, plus guys like Tommernes and Blomstrand that have done nothing but exceed expectations since being drafted.

Those same people sing Detroit praises and they haven't produced an NHLer other than Brendan Smith since 2006 and haven't produced an impact NHLer since Franzen.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I don't know that it's fair to say our scouts are horrible. Average maybe, but I wouldn't say they're horrible. The only way people seem to judge their horribleness is whether we get the hyped players or not. 09 draft has a ton of late round results and same thing goes for 11. People criticize the Mallet pick but it's been less than a year since he got drafted — how can you even judge him?

Development has as much to do with it as anything imo. The Columbus Blue Jackets have drafted a lot of really talented players over the years, players a team like the Red Wings would love to have. The difference is what the teams do after they draft players. If the Canucks continue to get better at developing players all our scouts are going to look better.

Of course you have to draft players from that league to develop them. Hopefully we start doing that.

The Canucks have a long-term plan for Mallett, judging the pick now is guessing at best.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
How much time has it been exactly? Since Gillis got to the organization we've produced Hodgson and Schroeder, so no 1st round busts so far. Rodin is a disappointment since his shoulder injuries, but Cannata and Andersson look to be on the path to the NHL. In 2011 you have sure shots to make NHL in Jensen and Corrado, plus guys like Tommernes and Blomstrand that have done nothing but exceed expectations since being drafted.

Those same people sing Detroit praises and they haven't produced an NHLer other than Brendan Smith since 2006 and haven't produced an impact NHLer since Franzen.

lets not look into the last 5 years...

historically Canuck's drafting have been bad.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
I hated the Mallet pick at the time. I still think Severson would have been the better choice, as many do. However, you can see "why" they took him. Skating, Size, Defensive hockey IQ, good fighter, high production in his 2nd draft eligible year. You aren't likely to get that combination in the 2nd round of a weak draft unless you take an older player like Mallet, and the only place they could take him was the 2nd round.

Even though I dislike the pick, I can reason the "why", which is all one can expect when evaluating scouting.

Fast forward and Mallet becomes a 3rd liner with those traits, Severson becomes a 2nd pair guy with his traits, who do you take? You know Mallet is going to make the opposition's life a nightmare, while Severson is a more passive option.

The Canucks want to take the game to the opposition. Mallet helps that more than Severson does. The only question is the upside. Is Severson a top4? And of what quality?

I hope you are right, I really do. He just looked so bad in the Wolves games this year, I dont think he even recorded a point. I didnt see much in his hockey IQ either but even if he becomes a 30 point mean SOB on the 3rd line thats a huge win IMO. Rodin Im scared may never make it.

Although Im very happy about how Jensen and Gaunce look. I think those 2 will be NHL'ers one day.

Last edited:

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
lets not look into the last 5 years...

historically Canuck's drafting have been bad.

Why does it matter what happened before Gillis took charge? There has been a ton of changes to both drafting and development since then.

I hope you are right, I really do. He just looked so bad in the Wolves games this year, I dont think he even recorded a point. I didnt see much in his hockey IQ either but even if he becomes a 30 point mean SOB on the 3rd line thats a huge win IMO.

He might've not recorded a point, but he certainly didn't "look so bad".

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
I hope you are right, I really do. He just looked so bad in the Wolves games this year, I dont think he even recorded a point. I didnt see much in his hockey IQ either but even if he becomes a 30 point mean SOB on the 3rd line thats a huge win IMO.

I'll have to disagree with this. I thought he looked like a smart player out there - did the little things well and made heads-up plays. Good in his own zone too. He was getting chances to bury some goals but he was pretty unlucky I would say.

Keep in mind that was all while playing in a lockout-strengthened AHL.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I'll have to disagree with this. I thought he looked like a smart player out there - did the little things well and made heads-up plays. Good in his own zone too. He was getting chances to bury some goals but he was pretty unlucky I would say.

And on a team that wasn't playing very well a lot of the time. Kassian and Schroeder both look better on the Canucks than they did on that team imo. It is a team game after all.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012

Im happy to be wrong in this case for sure, Im no naysayer. Maybe it was first year jitters or what have you. It just seems we rarely do well with picks from the Q.

Lundface*

I hope you are right, I really do. He just looked so bad in the Wolves games this year, I dont think he even recorded a point. I didnt see much in his hockey IQ either but even if he becomes a 30 point mean SOB on the 3rd line thats a huge win IMO. Rodin Im scared may never make it.

Although Im very happy about how Jensen and Gaunce look. I think those 2 will be NHL'ers one day.

You're confusing the word look with "look on paper"

After watching the first few games of the AHL season, the two guys I was immediately impressed with here Andersson and Mallet. Andersson people are starting to get excited about now and it's easy to see why. Almost instantly after watching him it was clear the kid could play, and I said then if he continues to improve he has a future as a safe bottom pairing guy. Big, skates well, makes safe plays with the puck and is good at reading the play defensively.

Mallet I also came away impressed with. He's big, skates extremely well (covers ice very quickly, noticed several times he would disrupt the puck carrier with this ability...powerful skater) he's physical and a good fighter. In terms of play he was always positioned well defensively but he was far to conservative while in the offensive zone. He would stay really high up ( between the top of the circles at times) and didn't really get involved in the corners too much. I took this more of how he was told to play, or him being scared to make mistakes. He was very unlucky not to have scored a few goals as well as he had some freakishly bad luck around the net. He also handles the puck well so that was good to see. If he completely stops developing he is a 4th liner at the least with his skating and fighting ability. If he continues to develop offensively he could be a very useful third line player.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
You're confusing the word look with "look on paper"

After watching the first few games of the AHL season, the two guys I was immediately impressed with here Andersson and Mallet. Andersson people are starting to get excited about now and it's easy to see why. Almost instantly after watching him it was clear the kid could play, and I said then if he continues to improve he has a future as a safe bottom pairing guy. Big, skates well, makes safe plays with the puck and is good at reading the play defensively.

Mallet I also came away impressed with. He's big, skates extremely well (covers ice very quickly, noticed several times he would disrupt the puck carrier with this ability...powerful skater) he's physical and a good fighter. In terms of play he was always positioned well defensively but he was far to conservative while in the offensive zone. He would stay really high up ( between the top of the circles at times) and didn't really get involved in the corners too much. I took this more of how he was told to play, or him being scared to make mistakes. He was very unlucky not to have scored a few goals as well as he had some freakishly bad luck around the net. He also handles the puck well so that was good to see. If he completely stops developing he is a 4th liner at the least with his skating and fighting ability. If he continues to develop offensively he could be a very useful third line player.

Mallet fighting?? I dont remember him fighting at all. Andersson on the other hand does look talented though. There is promise there.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Im happy to be wrong in this case for sure, Im no naysayer. Maybe it was first year jitters or what have you. It just seems we rarely do well with picks from the Q.

Perhaps jitters might have played some part - it's not impossible - but I would put it more as him being very cautious out there and not wanting to take chances, hence why he may not have looked like he had much ability.

But it's always easier to notice a player for their offensive showings than the other way around. It's possible that he was told to play that way, being the 4th line center.

Lundface*

Mallet fighting?? I dont remember him fighting at all. Andersson on the other hand does look talented though. There is promise there.

There's one sequence in the AHL this season where he crushes someone with a hit then destroys his teammate in a fight

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
but the funny thing is... our 1st round picks since Gillis took over have been who we wanted at the time

2008 Hodgson yup no brainer
2009 Schroeder, when Columbus took Moore it was pretty unanimous "OMG PICK Schroeder! Top 15 ranked! STEAL" Aside from Schroeder noone else dropped significantly where we were picking
2010 - traded, Gillis was waiting to see if Tinordi was avaliable. Would've been a great pick but Montreal took him and I'm sure other teams were interested
2011 - Jensen, easy.
2012 - at this point we knew who it was going to be, I wouldn't have minded Finn but Gaunce was an obvious pick

So as a fan base we can't really complain about the first round choices

arsmaster*

I can only imagine the responses around here had the Canucks drafted a Lucic-like player in the 2nd round. :laugh:

Mallet in his first eligible year could have been compared to lucic.

It's the 3rd time eligible issue that is my stumbling block. You know this we've gone back and forth about it a few times now.

If Mallet was such a good prospect how did we not take him with a late round flyer in 10 or 11'?

Scouts have to be able to project. I worry about our scouts in Quebec and Western Canada's ability to project young players.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
If Mallet was such a good prospect how did we not take him with a late round flyer in 10 or 11'?

Scouts have to be able to project. I worry about our scouts in Quebec and Western Canada's ability to project young players.

Perhaps he just simply took a big step forward between 2011 and 2012? No other team took a flyer on him either and then they were ready to pick him right around where we picked him. Reportedly there were at least two other teams that had Mallet in the 3rd round.

Nobody drafted Franzen until the Red Wings did in the 3rd round at age 24. Nobody drafted Tanev but if he were eligible/available in 2010, you can bet that some team would've spent a 2nd or 3rd on him.

Last edited:

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Mallet appears to have the potential to be a very nice addition to our club.
He wasn't drafted where he was because of what Gillis and Co saw in the previous couple of seasons; he was drafted b/c they see the potential for him to be the classic late bloomer.
Having seen him only a tiny bit, based upon what I've heard and read, I'm excited about having him in the organization.
At this point, I think he can at the very least be a Prust type of player, with potential for a more prominent role.

For the guys that follow our prospects, is Grenier actually looking like he could be a player. After some initial interest in his potential as a project, I wrote him off completely as a mistake. But his performance in Kalamazoo is way more than what I ever would have expected...Opinions?..

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
For the guys that follow our prospects, is Grenier actually looking like he could be a player. After some initial interest in his potential as a project, I wrote him off completely as a mistake. But his performance in Kalamazoo is way more than what I ever would have expected...Opinions?..

He has the skill, skating and size to have some promise. He looked pretty dangerous when he had the puck in his 1 AHL game. I think we'll sign him and let him develop. Still, there are concerns such as the fact that he avoids physical play and is suspect defensively (that's putting it nicely). Turns the puck over a lot. But to give him credit, he does drive the net so it's not as if he's a perimeter player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad