News Article: Canucks taking a Closer Look at Western Canada Prospects

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Mallet not a big guy either. Hes a damn good scrapper. And hes got some nice hands and a pretty good nose for the net.

Seems like a guy that could quite possibly develop into a 40 pointer **** disturber.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
Mallet in his first eligible year could have been compared to lucic.

It's the 3rd time eligible issue that is my stumbling block. You know this we've gone back and forth about it a few times now.

If Mallet was such a good prospect how did we not take him with a late round flyer in 10 or 11'?

Scouts have to be able to project. I worry about our scouts in Quebec and Western Canada's ability to project young players.

Indeed.
I never got to see the video of Mallet win that fight, kid can throw. It shows more promise then the 5 other games I watched with him in them. Where he was more of a floater and seemed to lack any willingness to engage. Then again apperantly I need to read more and post less. You know take other people opinions instead of my own eyes :sarcasm:

Look all Im saying is you would hope with a 14 game trial with the AHL you would think he could pot at least a 2nd assist once somewhere in there, to go along with his one fight and "solid" defensive play. I didnt see the over a PPG late bloomer in him. Just some measure of physicality on a guy passed over twice, I think we could have got him in later rounds.

Like I said above, I hope to be wrong.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
:laugh: Taps the guy on the forehead and then ends it with one punch. Has he lost a fight yet? I know he was a feared fighter in the Q.

I don't think so. I thought I'd seen/read about the Cody Beach fight, and it was either a draw or edge to Mallet (but I can't find any evidence of that right now).

He's only had the 3 scraps.
A decisive win against Bancks (possible TKO).
A definite TKO vs Butler in his last scrap.
His other fight was against Cody Beach. I found a review where it says Mallet knocked him down early in the fight, but Beach came back to get a draw.
Cody Beach is a much, much better fighter than Kyle. At 6'5" he had a huge height advantage on Mallet. Beach has only lost 3 of his last 47 reviewed fights on DYG.com), so an early knock down on him, and the draw is a pretty good outcome.

I think it's great he's not fighting too much right now. Stick to improving your game, and save your hands for the show when you eventually get here.

Last edited:

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
People judge our scouts so harshly because we have barely any of our draft picks turning into NHLers.

This isn't really true though. Yes historically the canucks have a bad record but half this team are canucks draft picks or undrafted free agents the canucks developed out of obscurity.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Kassian-Lapierre-Kassian

Hamhuis-Edler
Garrison-Bieksa
Ballard-Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

Bolded players are either drafted or undrafted young players the canucks developed, which may as well be draft picks since it requires the same skill to grab them.

What the canucks are missing are blue chip prospects. Kassian and Jensen possibly are but even they are more likely very good second liners.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
but the funny thing is... our 1st round picks since Gillis took over have been who we wanted at the time

2008 Hodgson yup no brainer
2009 Schroeder, when Columbus took Moore it was pretty unanimous "OMG PICK Schroeder! Top 15 ranked! STEAL" Aside from Schroeder noone else dropped significantly where we were picking
2010 - traded, Gillis was waiting to see if Tinordi was avaliable. Would've been a great pick but Montreal took him and I'm sure other teams were interested
2011 - Jensen, easy.
2012 - at this point we knew who it was going to be, I wouldn't have minded Finn but Gaunce was an obvious pick

So as a fan base we can't really complain about the first round choices

At least we know we aren't going to miss out on the next Kopitar. Rather draft the BPA and be wrong than draft White/Smith and be wrong.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Indeed.
I never got to see the video of Mallet win that fight, kid can throw. It shows more promise then the 5 other games I watched with him in them. Where he was more of a floater and seemed to lack any willingness to engage. Then again apperantly I need to read more and post less. You know take other people opinions instead of my own eyes :sarcasm:

Look all Im saying is you would hope with a 14 game trial with the AHL you would think he could pot at least a 2nd assist once somewhere in there, to go along with his one fight and "solid" defensive play. I didnt see the over a PPG late bloomer in him. Just some measure of physicality on a guy passed over twice, I think we could have got him in later rounds.

Like I said above, I hope to be wrong.

Mallett being a great fighter is not an opinion, it's a fact. You not knowing the biggest strength of a player signals to me that you don't know a lot about the player. You can keep guessing, or you can read a little. Doesn't matter to me either way... just trying to be helpful.

Stat scouting is ineffective.

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
He has the skill, skating and size to have some promise. He looked pretty dangerous when he had the puck in his 1 AHL game. I think we'll sign him and let him develop. Still, there are concerns such as the fact that he avoids physical play and is suspect defensively (that's putting it nicely). Turns the puck over a lot. But to give him credit, he does drive the net so it's not as if he's a perimeter player.

For a guy showing to be around PPG in the E playing his first year of pro hockey, Grenier seems to be showing some promise with his size and skating. Perhaps the larger rink size in Austria was a bigger factor than was first thought? The influx of NHL players and subsequent lack of ice time definitely were.

From what I heard about his one game with the Wolves, he also made a few nice defensive plays. Perhaps that's incorrect? Or is 'suspect defensively' more an indictment on a lack of awareness in his own zone rather than a lack of effort without the puck?

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
but the funny thing is... our 1st round picks since Gillis took over have been who we wanted at the time

2008 Hodgson yup no brainer
2009 Schroeder, when Columbus took Moore it was pretty unanimous "OMG PICK Schroeder! Top 15 ranked! STEAL" Aside from Schroeder noone else dropped significantly where we were picking
2010 - traded, Gillis was waiting to see if Tinordi was avaliable. Would've been a great pick but Montreal took him and I'm sure other teams were interested
2011 - Jensen, easy.
2012 - at this point we knew who it was going to be, I wouldn't have minded Finn but Gaunce was an obvious pick

So as a fan base we can't really complain about the first round choices
wished we had kept the 2010 pick...

I rather have Coyle, Etem, Kuznetsov, Justin Faulk

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
Mallett being a great fighter is not an opinion, it's a fact. You not knowing the biggest strength of a player signals to me that you don't know a lot about the player. You can keep guessing, or you can read a little. Doesn't matter to me either way... just trying to be helpful.

Stat scouting is ineffective.

He is a great fighter but then why if that is a strenght would he only have had one fight in the AHL in 14 games. The coaching? Maybe, but you want to get noticed and make an impact. I never said his strength was point production at all, but I am dissapointed by the fact he was pointless in his stint in the AHL. We dont need fighters, we need players like Thornton who can fight and put up points.

The fact he didnt stick with the team as an over ager or at least have any production is a concern. Which is why after being passed over twice in the draft and then being taken in the second round is my main concern. You're telling me he couldnt outperform Alex Friesen for a spot with the club and you are fine with that, fine. I am not expecting him to be able to jump into the NHL for years at least, of course he has to develop. Point speculation is not what Im doing at all so assume what you will.

If you look at what Tanev does, we dont need any points from him, just solid smart play which he is great at while providing a low caphit. Forwards in todays NHL need to produce something. Maybe he can baby step in just like the Q but I dont like his growth curve and fear its a waste when he was a 3rd or 4th.

You have missed my whole point again and ranged your own conclusion, I was saying that he was not a solid second round pick, leading back to our scouting. Not that I hold no hope and think he is a complete plug.

Im glad Gillis is doing well with the college signings to ease some of the scouting woes of the past. (Lack and Tanev are gems)

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Again though, as was mentioned by Lundface he had some very bad luck around the net when it came to the bounces - should have had 2 or 3 goals. He made good heads-up passes but his linemates weren't able to do much with them. So really a 14 game sample isn't going to be too determinative of his ability. Arniel never really gave him much ice time either IIRC.

Smart players who can make plays and be solid in their own end are generally going to put up points sooner rather than later - especially if they have size, decent hands and a good shot - but I suspect they wanted him to get big minutes in the E for his confidence. Guy has 19 points in 26 games with K-zoo playing in a scoring role as a 1st year eligible pro, so I'm not too worried.

As for the fighting thing... well, we know he's good at it but I want him to focus on developing his all-around game above all. Seems the coaches wanted the same thing.

If there is one Q pick out of the past few ones we've taken that I'm not really concerned about, it's Mallet, because his total package is very translatable to the pros.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
The fact he didnt stick with the team as an over ager or at least have any production is a concern. Which is why after being passed over twice in the draft and then being taken in the second round is my main concern. You're telling me he couldnt outperform Alex Friesen for a spot with the club and you are fine with that, fine. I am not expecting him to be able to jump into the NHL for years at least, of course he has to develop. Point speculation is not what Im doing at all so assume what you will.

He most certainly outperformed Friesen, but clearly the organization doesn't feel like having their 2nd round pick playing on the 4th line 8 minutes a game. It's not a good environment to develop a late bloomer.

Mallet has a very similar package and projection as Burrows back in the day, except he's tougher. Did you know Burrows spent 2 full years in the ECHL and was older than Mallet at the time?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad