News Article: Canucks taking a Closer Look at Western Canada Prospects

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
Crawford now manages both pro and amateur scouting. He has assumed some of the administrative duties previously handled by Delorme, who replaced Harold Snepsts as the main regional scout in the west. Snepsts now works with senior adviser Stan Smyl scouting and recruiting undrafted players from college and junior leagues.

The restructuring was overseen by assistant general manager Laurence Gilman, whose staff of 16 amateur and five pro scouts is one of the NHL's largest.

“This is absolutely not a demotion for Ron Delorme,†Gilman said before Thursday's Canuck game against the Minnesota Wild. “Far from it. Not only is he still our chief scout, but we're putting our best scout back in a region where we need to do better.

Anyone else feel like he's far from our "best scout"? I'm happy they realize that in the WHL there are kids that are the mould they need more of. We have been definitely up the physicality in the absence of Kes and Booth!

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...da+prospects/7935118/story.html#ixzz2KIFusEar

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I would honestly like to see someone (anyone) make a case for Delorme being a good scout.

At this point, you have to figure he has incriminating evidence on Gillis or Aquilini.

I have to look at this as being a good thing. Yes, Delorme again controls the WHL scouting, but at least time, there's accountability. If he turns up some turds, I'm sure Gillis will act accordingly. But they _cannot_ continue to ignore the region. That is not a solution.

I'd rather Delorme fumble some mid-draft picks than not go to the WHL at all. This is encouraging to me. The attention is again on the WHL and how we haven't done well there. Kudos to Canucks management.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
If Delorme is being reassigned to scout the WHL... what was he doing before? The 'administrative duties', whatever they are?

But either way though, at least now we know for sure who's in charge of it now, and who to point fingers at if it keeps failing.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
In other news (in the article), Matt Kassian trademarked "Kassasin", so we'll have to use a new nickname for Z. Kassian.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Don Delmore with more say in picks again?

so back to 90's style Canucks drafting where we get draft 35% our players from WHL and get picks like:

Nathan Smith
Brad Ference
Zenith Komarniski
Ryan Bonni
Chris McAllister

Best pick was Peter Nedved (2nd overall) Scheaffer and Sopel in spam of 10 or so years?

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Delorme sucks and should be fired. Why the hell is he in organisation. A 15-year old who doesnt watch WHL would probably put up better draft results than Delorme.

Canucks has picked 2 NHL players from the WHL since 96. Thats 2 players and one of them was Ference who sucks, the other one was Grabner.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Don Delmore with more say in picks again?

so back to 90's style Canucks drafting where we get draft 35% our players from WHL and get picks like:

Nathan Smith
Brad Ference
Zenith Komarniski
Ryan Bonni
Chris McAllister

Best pick was Peter Nedved (2nd overall) Scheaffer and Sopel in spam of 10 or so years?

If Delorme is the Chief scout he would have lots of input of a lot of the Canucks draft picks.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Upsetting news about Delorme still being employed >< On the other hand, I didn't realize Snepts was still in the org., that's cool.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Just happy that the Canucks are finally scouting their own region. Way too many good prospects going unnoticed by the organization in their very own back yard. Canucks should of had the inside scoop on Lucic, instead we were probably scouting a figure skater in Sweden. Good on the Canucks, should of been scouting this region years a go.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Just happy that the Canucks are finally scouting their own region. Way too many good prospects going unnoticed by the organization in their very own back yard. Canucks should of had the inside scoop on Lucic, instead we were probably scouting a figure skater in Sweden. Good on the Canucks, should of been scouting this region years a go.
Are you serious!?!? Sure we could have had Lucic now, but we would have missed out on the glorious 4 games of Mika Noronen!!! Not to mention the 18 game reign of blue line stud - Keith Carney. Just writing that name gives me goosebumps.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Upsetting news about Delorme still being employed >< On the other hand, I didn't realize Snepts was still in the org., that's cool.
I like Snepsts as much as anybody - as a player for the Canucks (except for one moment in game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals :naughty:) including Delorme to a lesser extent (never failed to take on the league heavyweights even though he was sometimes overmatched) - but both their records Western Canada scouts?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I'd love for us to take a look at Madison Bowey. He's a smooth skating right handed defenceman who plays for the Kelowna Rockets who are known to produce insane blue line talent.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
You'd think if one of the local reporters had half a brain they'd actually ask Gilman to justify his position that Delorme is the team's best scout given the team's track record in Western Canada.

arsmaster*

I'd love for us to take a look at Madison Bowey. He's a smooth skating right handed defenceman who plays for the Kelowna Rockets who are known to produce insane blue line talent.

Not me, I question his 'tool box'.

He has tools, and those tools are fantastic, but he I hate to compare anyone to Mason Raymond, but Bowey's puck rushing often ends in a dead play because he is unable to make a smart decision in the offensive zone.

Struggles to make the right reads defensively too.

I personally like Jesse Lees, he's smaller and less 'toolsy' but plays an awful lot like Tanev. Definitely in the running for a pick 3rd round or later for me.

On that topic, if Shaw is your television provider you can watch Kelowna play Portland tonight at 7pm.

Tons of high end prospects for this years draft and next (as well as Severson, who most wanted to draft in the 2nd last year).

Portland:
Jones (13)
Petan (13)
De Leo (14)
Iverson (14)
Turgeon (14)

Kelowna:
Bowey (13)
Wheaton (13)
Lees (13)
Chartier (14)
Baillie (14)

These are two of the best teams in the CHL: Portland is ranked 1st and Kelowna is 4th.

Oh yeah, and obviously Mackinnon, Drouin and Fucale and the Mooseheads play Moncton on sportsnet at 4pm.

Good night for junior hockey viewing if you ask me.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
You'd think if one of the local reporters had half a brain they'd actually ask Gilman to justify his position that Delorme is the team's best scout given the team's track record in Western Canada.

That would require research. Something that nobody does in the Vancouver media outside of a few bloggers.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010

noo our drafting record in WHL is horrible. unless you get Delorme completly out of the organization, I won't be confident in our western canada scouting. This is what happens when you hire a brainless hockey goon to be your chief scout. Canucks needs to stop hiring from within past players.... get some people with some real qualification for once. Scouting is too important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad