Post-Game Talk: Canucks spoil Kraken’s Party - 4-2 (Horvat x2, Garland, Dowling)

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Yeah, I'm lowering the bar from a 9-4 start. Our team has holes and we've looked rough at times - I hope they can work out some of the patches on this home stand. It's especially funny considering we've been anointed by our own board as one of the worst coached and defensive teams in the league - yet here some of you are hoping for a 9-4 start comfortably placing us near the very top of the standings. I don't get it?

Coming back 3-2-1 from a road trip is a decent outcome, all things considered.
The guy said anything less than 9-4 isn’t great because the next 16 are harder.

Nothing about the team being expected or held to a 9-4 start.

9-4 - Great
8-5 good
7-6 fair
6-7 disappointing
5-8 bad

It’s decent that they’ve picked up points. It’s less good that they’ve won 2 out of 6 in regulation.

I hope they pick up 8-10 on the home stand.

They need to play better.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Like, you guys need to remember something.

Our contention window is open NOW. This is likely the best Canucks team we are going to see any time soon. Minor tweaks to the roster here and there, but this is essentially our team for the immediate future, and if we are going to win a cup it's now or neve...well, now or not for probably 5+ years. We traded our 1st round pick two years in a row for this. We are all in. Do you want to win a cup or not?

If so, time to start looking at this team like it's a cup contender. Stop with this bullshit kid gloves "oh well, we were on the road, so, you know, .500 against the worst teams in the league is ok." Come on you guys. The goal is not 90 points. The goal is not to make the playoffs. The goal is the STANLEY CUP. I am so f***ing sick of this loser bullshit, well we traded our 1st round pick two years in a row and are all in. I guess 90 points and barely out of the playoffs is pretty good." f*** that shit, seriously. You think fans of Tampa, Colorado, Toronto are okay with their starts so far? Well, you know it's .500 it's not that bad. Come on. No. I am so tired of this low bar bullshit.

The same people laughing at Toronto are in this thread like "hey man, we almost beat Buffalo. That's pretty good." We have traded our 1st round pick 2 years in a row. We should have the same expectations as Toronto. If not, then what the f*** are we doing?
Like!

This years team is basically locked in for next year too barring big moves.

The pacific is ripe. Go for it.

We might look back and say Benning and Co’s worst move was not going all in once when they should have, which is the common lament of his predecessor.

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Like, you guys need to remember something.

Our contention window is open NOW. This is likely the best Canucks team we are going to see any time soon. Minor tweaks to the roster here and there, but this is essentially our team for the immediate future, and if we are going to win a cup it's now or neve...well, now or not for probably 5+ years. We traded our 1st round pick two years in a row for this. We are all in. Do you want to win a cup or not?

If so, time to start looking at this team like it's a cup contender. Stop with this bullshit kid gloves "oh well, we were on the road, so, you know, .500 against the worst teams in the league is ok." Come on you guys. The goal is not 90 points. The goal is not to make the playoffs. The goal is the STANLEY CUP. I am so f***ing sick of this loser bullshit, well we traded our 1st round pick two years in a row and are all in. I guess 90 points and barely out of the playoffs is pretty good." f*** that shit, seriously. You think fans of Tampa, Colorado, Toronto are okay with their starts so far? Well, you know it's .500 it's not that bad. Come on. No. I am so tired of this low bar bullshit.

The same people laughing at Toronto are in this thread like "hey man, we almost beat Buffalo. That's pretty good." We have traded our 1st round pick 2 years in a row. We should have the same expectations as Toronto. If not, then what the f*** are we doing?

Can't like this enough.

People love setting artificially low bars for this organization to reach and then celebrate reaching them like it's a major success.

We're all-f***ing-in on this season. We have no rookies in any key roster spots. This is a veteran team in the middle of whatever sort of window we're going to get. The expectation should be excellence.

10 of our first 13 games are against non-playoff teams from last year including several of the worst non-playoff teams. Absolutely a team with any sort of ambition should be shredding those games. 9-4 as an expectation is totally fair. But we have the usual suspects here making excuses to losing to Buffalo and Detroit and getting outplayed by a total shit Chicago team BECAUSE ROAD GAMES ARE SUPER HARD. Give me a break.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Can't like this enough.

People love setting artificially low bars for this organization to reach and then celebrate reaching them like it's a major success.

We're all-f***ing-in on this season. We have no rookies in any key roster spots. This is a veteran team in the middle of whatever sort of window we're going to get. The expectation should be excellence.

10 of our first 13 games are against non-playoff teams from last year including several of the worst non-playoff teams. Absolutely a team with any sort of ambition should be shredding those games. 9-4 as an expectation is totally fair. But we have the usual suspects here making excuses to losing to Buffalo and Detroit and getting outplayed by a total shit Chicago team BECAUSE ROAD GAMES ARE SUPER HARD. Give me a break.

On average teams get about 5 home points for 4 away points. If we had our games at home we would expect 9 points out of that. So you should expect 7-8 teams on the road. We shouldn't need Demko to steal us points against those teams just to get us to average.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
How’s it going with the lady friend? I bet you’re just a big ol’ sack’a sugar ain’tcha? Regular Lance Romance over here I betcha.
Not bad, the restraining order is almost up so theres that :yo:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Yeah, they played a good road period for 17 minutes ... and then blew a 2-goal lead anyway.

When a period where you blew a two-goal lead is one of your better periods of the season ... you haven't been playing very well.

you are putting way too much weight on these games.

when a team plays multiple teams in their home debuts on a six game road trip, you have to account for that. it is absurd to expect even a very good team to consistently dominate and in that scenario no matter who they are playing. and the poor opposition is not as signifucant this early as it would be mid season. it is normal for some bad teams to play well early on while they have hope, especially at home.

what we are seeing all over the league in terms of wild swings tells you that this season is more unsettled than usual . it is too soon to rate most teams. canucks in particular are adjusting to wholesale changes and have not had a home game yet.

looking forward to some home games.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
On average teams get about 5 home points for 4 away points. If we had our games at home we would expect 9 points out of that. So you should expect 7-8 teams on the road. We shouldn't need Demko to steal us points against those teams just to get us to average.

expecting 9 points out of 6 home games means 63 home points
expecting 7-8 points on the 6 road games means 49-56 road points.

so that would be between 112-119 points

that is not exactly "average".

even if we got the same points we just did in 6 road games throughout the season home and away then that is 96 points. that is solidly a playoff team and somewhat above average.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
So yeah, that road trip was ok in my books. Consider this... Last year on the road the Canucks were 10-17-1, while at home they were 13-12-3. In the 19/20 season they were 14-18-2 on the road, and 22-9-4 at home. So a 3-2-1 road trip is comparatively good, looking back at the last 2 seasons. If we use that first road trip as a gage (just for fun), the Canucks are a so far a better team than the 19-20 team that made the play-offs.

Canucks play much better at home, so I would hope to see them string some wins together here.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
expecting 9 points out of 6 home games means 63 home points
expecting 7-8 points on the 6 road games means 49-56 road points.

so that would be between 112-119 points

that is not exactly "average".

even if we got the same points we just did in 6 road games throughout the season home and away then that is 96 points. that is solidly a playoff team and somewhat above average.

I probably could of explained this better in my post better, but the 9 points was not an average and the word average was used in regard to how teams at home vs the road. 8-9 is what a good result would be against the same teams we played but at home. Team quality was factored in here. If we played a bunch of contenders I would even consider .500 for the team even at home. We got the minimum number of points from this trip to be considered good. A team playing at a rate just above the playoff bar against bad teams probably won't make the playoffs.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
That roadtrip, in order was :

1. Outplayed for first 40 minutes in Edmonton, played 1 good period (with 3 PPs in our favour) to come back and tie.
2. Dominated early by Philly, then had their goalie give the game away.
3. Poor first 40 minutes against a bad Detroit team, then played a good 3rd period chasing the lead.
4. Destroyed by Buffalo.
5. Mostly outplayed by a godawful Chicago team that everyone else is blowing out of the rink.
6. Outplayed by Seattle and had our goalie steal the game.

That was an easy, easy stretch of games and we were mostly outplayed. Yes, on paper the team ended up getting results that don't look terrible, but the process does not bode well for games against better teams.
Except that we were the road team for several home openers.

I concur that if the Canucks don't have several higher gears, we won't finish above 500, but context matters too.

We started the year off on a 6 game roadie, and we are a point over 500. You can't really ask for more than that (even if Detroit and especially Buffalo were disappointing). 7 game home stand now, so hopefully we can make some hay.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Not several home openers? Give them a courage medal.

This home openers excuse thing is hilariously pathetic.

Canucks picked up 4 of 6 points in other teams home openers. 2 of 6 in the non home openers.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Can't like this enough.

I totally agree this is the year. The Canucks are all in. They need to be a good team this year or it is over for this group. There is no high prospect we are waiting for no cap dumps that are playin. If this team is not a 95 point plus team it is a failure. I think they can be talent wise but would not bet on it.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Not several home openers? Give them a courage medal.

This home openers excuse thing is hilariously pathetic.

Canucks picked up 4 of 6 points in other teams home openers. 2 of 6 in the non home openers.

we weren't discussing points.

i mentioned home openers in a discussion about possession and run of play, where ms was complaining about bad periods, and criticizing the canucks even in games they won, and specifically using the example of the philly game, which was a home opener, and burning the team with a backhanded compliment there for only managing to look good for seventeen minutes in the third. in a game in which they looked good in ot and actually won.

i think it is not helpful to overanalyse these early season games like this and draw such emphatic conclusions. with any team you are obviously going to see some strong yawing at this time of year, especially on the road, and especially in home openers, let alone first ever home openers.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I probably could of explained this better in my post better, but the 9 points was not an average and the word average was used in regard to how teams at home vs the road. 8-9 is what a good result would be against the same teams we played but at home. Team quality was factored in here. If we played a bunch of contenders I would even consider .500 for the team even at home. We got the minimum number of points from this trip to be considered good. A team playing at a rate just above the playoff bar against bad teams probably won't make the playoffs.

i think it is a bad time of year to use expected wins from teams you expect to be bad to rate your own team. too many assumptions. you can expect your own team to have teething troubles after a lot of roster changes, and you can expect some bad teams to not be as bad as you think, or to at least have false signs of life early on.

buffalo is on a hot streak right now, as an example. if seattle ends up the way they are trending, you can expect they will be much easier opponents in february than they were in their home opener, as another.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I totally agree this is the year. The Canucks are all in. They need to be a good team this year or it is over for this group. There is no high prospect we are waiting for no cap dumps that are playin. If this team is not a 95 point plus team it is a failure. I think they can be talent wise but would not bet on it.
Why do people keep saying this? It’s so obviously not the case. Our top 6 is very young still. Garland just turned 25 with what looks like a bargain if a contract, and Hogs and Podz are emerging now, along with young Rathbone on d. This is a young team with lots of years left.

What do people think is going to happen next year? Where are these guys all going?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Why do people keep saying this? It’s so obviously not the case. Our top 6 is very young still. Garland just turned 25 with what looks like a bargain if a contract, and Hogs and Podz are emerging now, along with young Rathbone on d. This is a young team with lots of years left.

What do people think is going to happen next year? Where are these guys all going?
People don’t think through and all when they are grumpy

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I’d say they’re all-in during these next 2-3 years. Miller, Brock, EP and Bo won’t all be here long-term.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I’d say they’re all-in during these next 2-3 years. Miller, Brock, EP and Bo won’t all be here long-term.
Hughes is going to demand a trade, so he won’t be here long term either. Podz is going to return to Russia, and Hoglander is going to quit the game all together, so he can spread the word of the our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ. We’re f***ed.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Next season it will be hard to bring back the same team with Brock due a raise. That’s the whole point. This team has 90% of its chips in for this season and next already. They should just push that extra 10% and try and sneak deep this year and peak next. With Bo and JT needing deals after that. I think the core changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad