Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign RW Loui Eriksson to 6-year, $36m deal ($6m AAV w/ NMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
You don't think the boats sailed on that? He seemed rather bitter as well as his play really tailed off.

I think it has, sadly - I think Willie's deployment probably had a lot to do with that, but unfortunately it is what it is. I think even if he had just been in the top-6 consistently, he would've been fine with not playing with the twins and seemed to like the city alright.

But yeah, you're probably right - maybe if he was really hard up for offers, but I think with Willie coming back he's probably not too inclined to return.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
A smart team (if we're insisting on looking playoffs, as JB is) might look into improving offensive depth by re-signing Vrbata to a bargain contract.

God no.

Vrbata's attitude and demeanor here last year was visibly toxic, even to outsiders and fans. Want no part in him being back in the room this season. He'd just be half-assing his way through minutes that would be better given to someone young, or even just someone older who actually appears to give a crap.

I believe JB's quote on Rodin was that he says him as a "top-9 forward". Not sure if that might be trying to put a square peg into a round hole, as I don't know if Rodin has a translatable two-way game a la Hansen, or is better off trying to succeed purely as a top-6 guy.

I think realistically, we're going to be looking at a "Top-9" in the sense of a "2a and 2b" lines type of thing this season anyway.

Though that could also be taken as a comment more about the type of player Rodin projects as...than a definitive statement about how good he will be, and whether he will definitively be an NHLer at all this year. I don't think anyone really knows if Rodin will be an NHLer this year or not, at this point. But it's safe to say, if he is going to stick...it's probably going to be in a "Top-9 forward" type role somewhere. :dunno:

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
God no.

Vrbata's attitude and demeanor here last year was visibly toxic, even to outsiders and fans. Want no part in him being back in the room this season. He'd just be half-assing his way through minutes that would be better given to someone young, or even just someone older who actually appears to give a crap.

I think realistically, we're going to be looking at a "Top-9" in the sense of a "2a and 2b" lines type of thing this season anyway.

Though that could also be taken as a comment more about the type of player Rodin projects as...than a definitive statement about how good he will be, and whether he will definitively be an NHLer at all this year. I don't think anyone really knows if Rodin will be an NHLer this year or not, at this point. But it's safe to say, if he is going to stick...it's probably going to be in a "Top-9 forward" type role somewhere. :dunno:

Much of this will be dependent on Baertschi and Horvat. They will make or break the offence this year. You can safely assume each Sedin is capable of hitting their annual 60-70 points. Eriksson playing with 2 guys he's the most familiar with should result in 60 points at the least. And if it's true Hudler will sign, we can expect 40 points from him. That's pretty low expectation though.

So now it's down to Horvat and Baertschi. Horvat had 40 points last season. Is it too much to expect him to get 50+? I don't think so.

If the Canucks are smart, they should already view Horvat ahead of Sutter in terms of depth chart. And because of that, Horvat's ice time should be reflected the same way. Baertschi looked great with him during the whole season. Add a veteran like Hudler, who has experience elevating the play of rookies, and we should see a solid 2nd line.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
True, but for Burrows, he's at best a 2nd liner without the Sedins.

Eriksson has talent as a legit first liner by himself. If Burrows hits 30 with Sedins, can't imagine Eriksson not hitting that easily either. Granted the twins are older now, but still seem very effective.

If he plays with the Twins on the power play, I'd be surprised if Eriksson actually doesn't hit 30 goals. I probably overrated Burrows; but to his defense alot of his goals came at even strength (during his peak) as he didn't have the luxory of playing with the Twins much on the power play (during this time).

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Much of this will be dependent on Baertschi and Horvat. They will make or break the offence this year. You can safely assume each Sedin is capable of hitting their annual 60-70 points. Eriksson playing with 2 guys he's the most familiar with should result in 60 points at the least. And if it's true Hudler will sign, we can expect 40 points from him. That's pretty low expectation though.

So now it's down to Horvat and Baertschi. Horvat had 40 points last season. Is it too much to expect him to get 50+? I don't think so.

If the Canucks are smart, they should already view Horvat ahead of Sutter in terms of depth chart. And because of that, Horvat's ice time should be reflected the same way. Baertschi looked great with him during the whole season. Add a veteran like Hudler, who has experience elevating the play of rookies, and we should see a solid 2nd line.

I'm not sure if we'll see Eriksson permanently riding shotgun with the Sedins or not. I think part of the value of Eriksson is that he should be a more versatile piece than say...Vrbata was. I think you can play Eriksson with either of Horvat, or even Sutter as well if you want/need a shakeup here and there. As much as we're all expecting Eriksson to be a great fit with the Sedins...they always seem to be at the top of their game when you've got at least a couple options to rotate through, which seems to shake them loose when they get into a bit of a rut with one particular winger.

Even at the top of their games, we had Burrows/Samuelsson to rotate through there at various times. Two guys who played differently and sort of changed up what the Sedins do a little bit. Which i think would make sense with Eriksson and Hansen here now.

Of course, like you say...Bo is going to be a big factor in what this team can do. It would be awesome to see him come in and put together a whole season at the sort of level he's shown he can hit in the back stretch two years running. Hansen could well help him in that and be a nice fit with Bae-Bo. Maybe we see Hansen and Eriksson just sort of flip-flopping between the Sedins and Horvat lines. Or maybe they go full "kid line" with Virtanen on Bae-Bo's other wing. A lot of options that could work for this season. Due at least in part to Eriksson's versatility.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
If he plays with the Twins on the power play, I'd be surprised if Eriksson actually doesn't hit 30 goals. I probably overrated Burrows; but to his defense alot of his goals came at even strength (during his peak) as he didn't have the luxory of playing with the Twins much on the power play (during this time).

I agree, 30 goals should be the minimum expectation. Eriksson is a better player than Vrbata in every facet of the game and also a lot more versatile. He'll definitely be playing the 1st unit PP: Sedin, Sedin, Eriksson, Hansen, Edler. Gives the Sedins 2 RH backdoor options and hopefully Edler can hit the net more often.

I'm not sure if we'll see Eriksson permanently riding shotgun with the Sedins or not. I think part of the value of Eriksson is that he should be a more versatile piece than say...Vrbata was. I think you can play Eriksson with either of Horvat, or even Sutter as well if you want/need a shakeup here and there. As much as we're all expecting Eriksson to be a great fit with the Sedins...they always seem to be at the top of their game when you've got at least a couple options to rotate through, which seems to shake them loose when they get into a bit of a rut with one particular winger.

Even at the top of their games, we had Burrows/Samuelsson to rotate through there at various times. Two guys who played differently and sort of changed up what the Sedins do a little bit. Which i think would make sense with Eriksson and Hansen here now.

Of course, like you say...Bo is going to be a big factor in what this team can do. It would be awesome to see him come in and put together a whole season at the sort of level he's shown he can hit in the back stretch two years running. Hansen could well help him in that and be a nice fit with Bae-Bo. Maybe we see Hansen and Eriksson just sort of flip-flopping between the Sedins and Horvat lines. Or maybe they go full "kid line" with Virtanen on Bae-Bo's other wing. A lot of options that could work for this season. Due at least in part to Eriksson's versatility.

That's the beauty of the signing, is that Erikkson can easily drop to the 2nd line and still be effective with Horvat and Baertschi. He's a smart, 2-way player who can even compliment Sutter's game.

Again, I don't really like the term, but the amount is pretty fair.

If I were to project their pt totals, I think we should expect:

Sedin - 65
Sedin - 65
Eriksson - 60
Horvat - 60
Baertschi - 40
Hudler - 40

Horvat is primed to breakout.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
I agree, 30 goals should be the minimum expectation. Eriksson is a better player than Vrbata in every facet of the game and also a lot more versatile. He'll definitely be playing the 1st unit PP: Sedin, Sedin, Eriksson, Hansen, Edler. Gives the Sedins 2 RH backdoor options and hopefully Edler can hit the net more often.

That's the beauty of the signing, is that Erikkson can easily drop to the 2nd line and still be effective with Horvat and Baertschi. He's a smart, 2-way player who can even compliment Sutter's game.

Sedin - 65
Sedin - 65
Eriksson - 60
Horvat - 60
Baertschi - 40
Hudler - 40

Big time. He should benefit massively from a different deployment scheme next season; let Sutter do the heavy lifting defensively. This team becomes much more difficult to defend if Bo breaks out and Eriksson reinvigorates the first line. Those aren't big "ifs" IMO.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Saying Bo will get 60 points next year is aggressive to say the least. I'm not saying it's impossible, but...

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Big time. He should benefit massively from a different deployment scheme next season; let Sutter do the heavy lifting defensively. This team becomes much more difficult to defend if Bo breaks out and Eriksson reinvigorates the first line. Those aren't big "ifs" IMO.

Saying Bo will get 60 points next year is aggressive to say the least. I'm not saying it's impossible, but...

That would put him amongst the top-20 centers in points, despite getting the 2nd-3rd most TOI (2nd unit PP time as well) on a team that finished 2nd last in the league in goals last year.

I'm a big Horvat fan, but I barely think Henrik will crack 60 this season. I can see him flirting with 50, and landing in the high 40's for points.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yeah. 60 is like #1, at least #1b Center type production these days. That's probably more than a bit rich. Especially considering he'll be sharing opportunities and minutes with not only a bonafide #1C like Hank, but some significant minutes are going to go to Sutter as well.

Now...for Horvat to be tickling 50pts if he can be "late season Bo" for a whole season, that doesn't seem out of the question to me. Which would be huge for this team, and a big part of getting this team back out of the bottom-5 in scoring.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
Yeah. 60 is like #1 Center type production these days. That's probably more than a bit rich. Especially considering he'll be sharing opportunities and minutes with not only a bonafide #1C like Hank, but some significant minutes are going to go to Sutter as well.

Now...for Horvat to be tickling 50pts if he can be "late season Bo" for a whole season, that doesn't seem out of the question to me. Which would be huge for this team, and a big part of getting this team back out of the bottom-5 in scoring.

Honestly, biggest thing IMO is if his possession numbers and two-way play develop while maintaining similar production rates. Last season he really didn't show the two-way ability many projected him to have (which is fine, he's quite young) but I would really like to see that aspect of his game develop more, as opportunity wise he's not going to see a ton more minutes or PP time to up the production.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006

From January on (44 games), he scored at 52 point/season pace and significantly increased shots on goal to 2.25/game from 1.47/game in the first 38 games. There's another step function in production coming IMO, dude has been working out like a demon....he's a freaking tank....it's going to be really hard to keep him from getting to the net.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Assuming we see post-December Horvat all season, then 60 points is likely what he'll be flirting with. He's already running the 2nd unit powerplay and playing in PK situations. He's literally on the ice for all situations.

He hit 40 points on a 3rd worst team in the NHL getting big minutes. I don't think we finish bottom 5 again with the "now-moves" Benning is making. Likely a wildcard spot, maybe even 9th place team just missing the playoffs, but Horvat will be getting his minutes.

Sutter should be taking all the heavy load assignments, as was the initial purpose of the trade leaving Horvat/Baertschi/Eriksson to feast on the O-zone opportunities.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Bo is such a stud i think he could easy do 60 next year

Last year he did 60 playing with a lot of duds (outside of Baerthi)

If him Baer both improve EVEN more then thats a great second line right there

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Bo is such a stud i think he could easy do 60 next year

Last year he did 60 playing with a lot of duds (outside of Baerthi)

If him Baer both improve EVEN more then thats a great second line right there

Plus, he'll get time to play with Eriksson and possibly Hudler. Both are much better wingers than Vrbata.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I can't believe Eriksson was happy to sign with one of the worst hockey teams in the NHL. He's here for the money, and because Jim ****in Benning was the only one stupid enough to give him SIX ****ing years!

He signed because of the Sedins. There's no question about that. He was a terrific fit on their line in the 2013 WCs in Sweden. That line won Sweden the gold that year. There's been rumours ever since that they wanted him to come over to Vancouver.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Thats wishful thinking but needed if we want to get into the playoffs/believe retooling works. It is possible tho if our first line actually gels like it could and performs like an elite first line it could. That would force other teams to focus on that line and give Horvat opportunities. Add to that, Horvat's line-mates probably include Sven who's also prime to have a breakout year after a good "prove it" year where he proved he belonged in the NHL. Hansen also had a career year last year and is in his prime Basically the situation is setup for Horvat to have a break-out year and likely one of his best seasons in his career (since if he keeps developing, he'll be the focus of other team's gameplan and the Sedins won't stay as 1st liners forever... that spot is basically now Horvat's to fill).

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Good add. Solidifies the top 9 and a fair cap hit. Term is term...if he ages like the Sedins, Sundin, Lidstrom, Alfredson, it'll be a great contract. If he ages like Naslund or Forsberg, then it all depends how far down the road the wall is.

Over all, I like it. Viva la re-tool!

Age like Forsberg? I take offence to that ;)

Eriksson will be fine. I don't see him coming home any time soon.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Production wise, Naslund actually aged pretty well. With that said, I don't think Naslund was the same player after the Steve Moore hit.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Things like 30 goal minimum for Eriksson are interesting things to see when he's only hit that number twice in his career. It is doubtful he gets to Vancouver and turns into a 40 goal scorer. It could happen but it's unlikely. Yes Henrik is a good center but so are Krecji/Bergeron and other centers he's played with in his career. More likely is he'll be in the 22-30 goal range as he is every year but one (36 goals in 08/09).

I also hope people realize what they are saying when they predict 60 points for someone. That's top 40 forward production in the league. Horvat will have to really break out to achieve that and he won't be getting first unit PP time and last year he already had 12 PP points (third on the team). That's already good PP production...from the second unit there isn't a lot of room to move. I suspect he'll pick up a few SH points but for him to breakout to the tune of 60 points his ES production is going to have to reach the 45ish range. That would be top 25 production based on this past season. Those are Henrik numbers.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
In my opinion,if Loui remains healthy and plays with healthy Sedins,he will end up around 30-40-70. Loui had a poor strike season,as did many,and when he was a mostly healthy Bruin he was saddled with an injured sophomore Carl Soderberg and offensive black hole Chris Kelly. Last year when he was fully concussion recovered, they finally gave him Krejci who was hampered nearly the entire year with a bad hip that was repaired post season. Loui was only second to Bergeron in 2 way play. He's a tremendous 2 way,intelligent hockey player that will win most of his board battles,almost never make the wrong pass, and will live in front of the net. Hope he and the Sedins stay healthy so you can enjoy some incredible connections with Loui. Loui is something like top 12 in winger offense on whichever wing he plays.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Things like 30 goal minimum for Eriksson are interesting things to see when he's only hit that number twice in his career. It is doubtful he gets to Vancouver and turns into a 40 goal scorer. It could happen but it's unlikely. Yes Henrik is a good center but so are Krecji/Bergeron and other centers he's played with in his career. More likely is he'll be in the 22-30 goal range as he is every year but one (36 goals in 08/09).

I also hope people realize what they are saying when they predict 60 points for someone. That's top 40 forward production in the league. Horvat will have to really break out to achieve that and he won't be getting first unit PP time and last year he already had 12 PP points (third on the team). That's already good PP production...from the second unit there isn't a lot of room to move. I suspect he'll pick up a few SH points but for him to breakout to the tune of 60 points his ES production is going to have to reach the 45ish range. That would be top 25 production based on this past season. Those are Henrik numbers.

If Horvat hits 60 points and Eriksson gits 30 goals, Canucks are in the playoffs.

Eriksson hiting 30 isn't unreasonable. He's never had good playermakers ever. As good as Krecji/Bergeron, they are not on the same level as Henrik in terms of playmaking ability. Neither have ever hit PPG numbers in the NHL.

Eriksson also has the benefit of Daniel who has turned into a more passive shooter that last few years, so Eriksson being the lone trigger man is going to get a bunch of freebies.

I do agree Horvat hitting 60 points is a very agressive prediction, hence why we'd easily be a playoff team if he does. That said, even getting 50 points from him would be considered a successful season.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008

Sedin - 65
Sedin - 65
Eriksson - 60
Horvat - 60
Baertschi - 40
Hudler - 40

Hate to be *that* guy (who flies in from out of nowhere and cherry picks some random fact) but Eriksson isn't a RH shot...

Agree with pretty much everything else you said, however. The versatility of Eriksson is one of his prime assets as a hockey player, and he gives our roster both more options and flexibility in terms of different looks

Also cautiously optimistic in agreeing with those who point out that many Swedes age well. Just have to see how it plays out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad