Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign RW Loui Eriksson to 6-year, $36m deal ($6m AAV w/ NMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
RealGud player

I said he was a good win-now player to target for a Seguin return heh..

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
There was absolutely nothing exciting about the 2014-15 season besides Bo Horvat. Even then that season was extremely boring.

Aside from

- your Canucks achieving 101 points
- Eddie Lack carrying the team on his shoulders
- all of the 2011 core players seemingly resurrecting their careers
- for the first time in team history Canucks were a 4 line team
- Vrbata having instant chemistry with the twins
- Edler / Tanev being an outstanding first pairing
- the Latvian Locomotive

And of course last but definitely not least, Linden Vey being gifted PP time.

Aside from those (maybe not the last time), I definitely agree with you.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Very late to the party here, like the player but hate the contract, well mostly the term. 2 year very too much and even then the 4th year there is a gamble. The Miller contract would have been better. I've been unconnected from the world since Wednesday, was there any talked about competition is signing him?

Wondering out of Eriksson and Rodin, witch will be player LW? I like Eriksson on the right of either the Sedin or Bo/Bae. I would be okay with going with Erikkson, Virtanen, Hansen and Rodin/Etem on the rightside if it were for Dorsett though I'd just have him in the press box.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Rodin seems like such a poor fit on this team now. You don't play him with the Sedins, you don't play him with Baertschi/Horvat (because it would be like the Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata line) and you don't play him on a shutdown line with Sutter and/or Hansen.

Where does he fit, then?

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Very late to the party here, like the player but hate the contract, well mostly the term. 2 year very too much and even then the 4th year there is a gamble. The Miller contract would have been better. I've been unconnected from the world since Wednesday, was there any talked about competition is signing him?

Wondering out of Eriksson and Rodin, witch will be player LW? I like Eriksson on the right of either the Sedin or Bo/Bae. I would be okay with going with Erikkson, Virtanen, Hansen and Rodin/Etem on the rightside if it were for Dorsett though I'd just have him in the press box.

You honestly wonder if there was any competition in signing him? Seriously? We know Boston was at least one...you would have to assume others as well, he was one of the top scorers available.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Rodin seems like such a poor fit on this team now. You don't play him with the Sedins, you don't play him with Baertschi/Horvat (because it would be like the Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata line) and you don't play him on a shutdown line with Sutter and/or Hansen.

Where does he fit, then?

Rodin is not the problem, Sutter is.

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Burrows Sutter Hansen
Baertschi Horvat Virtanen
Gaunce Granlund Dorsett
Etem Rodin

They have some competition in camp between Rodin and Baertschi and between Gaunce, Etem and Granlund for starting spots. If we pick up a physical scoring left winger, then Burrows is gone. Etem is waiver bait pending a healthy roster.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Virtual guarantee this turns into a 4 year deal

He is getting $32 of the $36 million in the first 4 years.

The lockout will come in the fall of 2020. They will lose 6 months

so they will owe him $3 million over 1.5 years. most likely a couple of buyouts will be in the new CBA and they can buy out the last 1.5 years at 2.25 million

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010

Where does he fit, then?

Don't project Vrbata onto Rodin; he has done nothing to deserve this!

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006

so they will owe him $3 million over 1.5 years. most likely a couple of buyouts will be in the new CBA and they can buy out the last 1.5 years at 2.25 million

you sure about that? looks like he makes $4mm in each of the final two seasons. maybe youre looking at the signing bonus portion which drops substantially in the final two years of the deal?

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Sedins get to play with their most talented winger yet, who also fits their game like a glove, unlike Naslund.

Should be entertaining for a somewhat expected boring season.

I think they make wildcard spot.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Too much year and money for a injury career guy

This will be bad like hecka bad maybe even this year

Im calling 45 pts this year if he playe 70+ games
35 next year
Buyout after that

Really what would it of taken to bring HOME Loooch like what is going on in Bennings head :shakehead

Sorry late to the thread i had to go camping this weekend

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Sedins get to play with their most talented winger yet, who also fits their game like a glove, unlike Naslund.

Should be entertaining for a somewhat expected boring season.

I think they make wildcard spot.

I seem to remember Weinhandl being called the "third Sedin"; likely because of a bad eye injury he couldn't make a career in the NHL. And while Burrows hardly was their most talented linemate - he too fit their game like a glove (they did each win the Art Ross with him as their linemate).

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

35 next year
Buyout after that

Really what would it of taken to bring HOME Loooch like what is going on in Bennings head :shakehead

Most likely wrong in points, also wrong about the player.

Looch has to want to come home...his contract is actually worse.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.

35 next year
Buyout after that

You're talk about Lucic right? That's not Eriksson.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

It's only $28M over the first 4 years. He gets $8M over the last 2 which is hardly pocket change.

And as for a buyout, signing bonuses are paid in July (prior to any lockout) and are guaranteed, so buying out the last 2 years of his deal would save virtually no money. I really doubt that it's the team's plan to pay Eriksson almost $35M for 4 years and then buy him out.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I seem to remember Weinhandl being called the "third Sedin"; likely because of a bad eye injury he couldn't make a career in the NHL. And while Burrows hardly was their most talented linemate - he too fit their game like a glove (they did each win the Art Ross with him as their linemate).

True, but for Burrows, he's at best a 2nd liner without the Sedins.

Eriksson has talent as a legit first liner by himself. If Burrows hits 30 with Sedins, can't imagine Eriksson not hitting that easily either. Granted the twins are older now, but still seem very effective.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Where does he fit, then?

I mean, Rodin has to actually establish that he can play in the NHL at all...first and foremost.

Penciling him in to the top line right off the hop before he's proven jack squat, was probably not going to be realistic regardless of a Loui Eriksson signing or not.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
A smart team (if we're insisting on looking playoffs, as JB is) might look into improving offensive depth by re-signing Vrbata to a bargain contract.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
If Sedins play with Eriksson 5 on 5 and PP then i think all of them will hit 70 pts with Eriksson hitting 30 goals

However, if Eriksson plays with Horvat, i think he and Horvat both put up 60 pts.

It might be better depth wise to spread the talent around 5 on 5.

Sedin Sedin Hansen
Sven Horvat Eriksson might overall score more pts

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
I mean, Rodin has to actually establish that he can play in the NHL at all...first and foremost.

Penciling him in to the top line right off the hop before he's proven jack squat, was probably not going to be realistic regardless of a Loui Eriksson signing or not.

I believe JB's quote on Rodin was that he says him as a "top-9 forward". Not sure if that might be trying to put a square peg into a round hole, as I don't know if Rodin has a translatable two-way game a la Hansen, or is better off trying to succeed purely as a top-6 guy.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
A smart team (if we're insisting on looking playoffs, as JB is) might look into improving offensive depth by re-signing Vrbata to a bargain contract.

You don't think the boats sailed on that? He seemed rather bitter as well as his play really tailed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad