Confirmed with Link: Canucks Sign Pius Suter - 2-years @ $1.6M AAV

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
It’s this poster’s MO. He’ll latch onto one comment rather than the whole idea around the post.

The comment is a microcosm of the idea. Calling Suter a 5C is certainly a take. Is the perfect 3C? Not by any stretch. Can he perform adequately as an average 3C? For sure.

Like I said, we will see. :)

From all tangible evidence we have, this player is definitely capable of being an adequate 3C for us. If he's not, I'm happy to take the L and eat my crow.

Reactions: F A N

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
The comment is a microcosm of the idea. Calling Suter a 5C is certainly a take. Is the perfect 3C? Not by any stretch. Can he perform adequately as an average 3C? For sure.

From all tangible evidence we have, this player is definitely capable of being an adequate 3C for us. If he's not, I'm happy to take the L and eat my crow.
5C might not be the best terminology but it’s essentially a reserve centre. Team Canada (when they get to play in the Olympics) legit takes like 10-12 centres for the forwards corps because a C can always play W but it doesn’t work the other way around.

Essentially as it currently stands, ideally Suter would be your 2nd/3rd line winger on a contender but can step in if need be. However given the teams position they’re likely gambling on him to take another step to actually solidify himself or Blueger as a 3C. We don’t have the cap to get a guarantee.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Can he though? He wasn’t a very effective C for Chicago and Detroit loved using him at center so much last year that they played him on the wing half the time. Can he play center? Yes. Do you want him at center if you want to be a playoff contending team? No. Most likely he’s being seen as bottom 6 filler until they can find a more effective 3rd line center. A big upgrade over Sheldon Dries basically. He’s a better winger but can play center.

Reactions: MS and biturbo19

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I don't think the Canucks signed Suter for his 'offense', although 14 goals would be a welcome addition on the third line if he could ever replicate it this season.

It was his defense; penalty killing; and faceoff abilities that were attractive, particularly at the price-point he comes in at--$1.6m a season.
I think it’s a combination actually. He will most likely center the 2nd unit PP like Dries did last year but he can also contribute on the PK.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

Capable of being adequate 3C? That's reasonable, and certainly a vast improvement over your nonsensical attempt to list him as a comparable to the best 3rd line centres in the league, some of whom are playing on the best teams on the league.

Last edited:

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
'Adequate' 3C might even be a stretch. He will share 3C duties with Blueger because they both have some holes in their game to be effective in that role.

I see Suter as having some physical limitations to be a that grinding, defensive player we really need. Yes I've seen his analytics and his jfresh charts but it doesn't tell the whole story. There's a reason this player is an August acquisition - he's not as sought after and not highly effective in his role as the over-rating our board has done to him.

I think we will like Suter because when injuries pile up he will be able to fill a role for a time and he has some versatility to his game. He's not a shutdown center and not a top 6 fwd so I do see some credibility to people saying he's a bit of a tweener.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Capable of being adequate 3C? That's reasonable, and certainly a vast improvement over your nonsensical attempt to list him as a comparable to the best 3rd line centres in the league, some of whom are playing on the best teams on the league.
Some of the best 3rd line centers in the league like Jesiperi Kotkaniemi and Sam Steel....

Can he though? He wasn’t a very effective C for Chicago and Detroit loved using him at center so much last year that they played him on the wing half the time. Can he play center? Yes. Do you want him at center if you want to be a playoff contending team? No. Most likely he’s being seen as bottom 6 filler until they can find a more effective 3rd line center. A big upgrade over Sheldon Dries basically. He’s a better winger but can play center.
We will see :)

He's been a center for 90% of his career and had his best production at center so I really don't know where this "He's a better winger but can play center" stuff is coming from.

All it takes is one guy to parrot some non-sense and then everyone takes off with it.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

He's been a center for 90% of his career and had his best production at center so I really don't know where this "He's a better winger but can play center" stuff is coming from.
He spent half of last season on wing and his best season at center he played 50% of the time alongside Patrick Kane and over 1/3 with both him and Debrincat.

I guess it really depends on what type of role they plan to use him in next season. Like I’ve said, he’s a massive upgrade over Sheldon Dries in that spot, but ultimately he’s filler.

Reactions: andora

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually, the Canucks don't need Suter to be anything more that he's been so far in his career. If he can even hit his career averages in points (25-40) then it's a massive upgrade.

And if he can fill in at center on one of the two PK units, then all the better. His versatility is what the Canucks need out of their third line center. Surprised he lasted so long on the UFA market.

Reactions: JohnHodgson

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Actually, the Canucks don't need Suter to be anything more that he's been so far in his career. If he can even hit his career averages in points (25-40) then it's a massive upgrade.

And if he can fill in at center on one of the two PK units, then all the better. His versatility is what the Canucks need out of their third line center. Surprised he lasted so long on the UFA market.

25 points is a massive upgrade ... on what?

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
5C might not be the best terminology but it’s essentially a reserve centre. Team Canada (when they get to play in the Olympics) legit takes like 10-12 centres for the forwards corps because a C can always play W but it doesn’t work the other way around.

Essentially as it currently stands, ideally Suter would be your 2nd/3rd line winger on a contender but can step in if need be. However given the teams position they’re likely gambling on him to take another step to actually solidify himself or Blueger as a 3C. We don’t have the cap to get a guarantee.
What in your opinion makes him a 2nd or 3rd line winger on a contender? As I understand it, he's played almost exclusively as a center on bad teams. 2nd line (or even 3rd line) wingers on a contender are really good players, which is not what Suter has shown so far in his career.

Reactions: biturbo19

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Well granted it's a 'low bar'. But when your third line centers last year were Nils Aman and Sheldon Dries, then that's a serious 'upgrade', right?

If we're talking about 25 points like OP said, it's a difference of like 3 or 6 points over 82 games. How much of a "serious upgrade" that is will obviously be up for debate.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Some of the best 3rd line centers in the league like Jesiperi Kotkaniemi and Sam Steel....

All it takes is one guy to parrot some non-sense and then everyone takes off with it.

It's hilarious that you'd pick out Sam Steel and Jesperi Kotkaniemi as other examples of "3rd line Centers". :laugh: They're actually entirely apt comparables to Pius Suter, as they're also both guys who effectively played a de facto "Top-6" role for their respective teams last year. Playing a huge bulk of their productive icetime with guys like Kaprizov, Zuccarello, Boldy, Svechkinov, Necas, Teravainen.

Not actual 3rd line Center deployment.

There's obviously a disconnect here, with the way you're attributing "3rd line Center" minutes to players who don't really play that role.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's hilarious that you'd pick out Sam Steel and Jesperi Kotkaniemi as other examples of "3rd line Centers". :laugh: They're actually entirely apt comparables to Pius Suter, as they're also both guys who effectively played a de facto "Top-6" role for their respective teams last year. Playing a huge bulk of their productive icetime with guys like Kaprizov, Zuccarello, Boldy, Svechkinov, Necas, Teravainen.

Not actual 3rd line Center deployment.

There's obviously a disconnect here, with the way you're attributing "3rd line Center" minutes to players who don't really play that role.

I don't mean any disrespect, I think the obvious disconnect here is your inaccurate view of the players. Suter started over 60% of his shifts in the defensive zone. Kotkaniemi started over 60% of his shifts in the offensive zone while Sam Steel (in the regular season) started over 56% of his shifts in the offensive zone.

We've been going back and forth on this and I'm not sure there's really much more for me to say. Suter being utilized more in a bottom 6 role last season as a C is a fact. Suter having good defensive underlying numbers while in that role is a statistic.

Reactions: JohnHodgson

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Seems that deal worked out pretty well for the Canucks. Solid defensive skills and adding depth scoring. Similar players come with higher cap normally.

Your thoughts?
Great addition on the ice. Plays with JT and BB well. Used in FO and PK and PP. Fantastic deal and seems well liked by team mates.

Reactions: pouf pouf

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
Credit to Allvin and the team on these signings. Bleugers and Suter fit the modern game really well. Not exactly bruisers which would be nice on the bottom lines but play the game correctly. Seem to be very fit, forecheck well and are relentless at turning the puck over.

Insane that Toronto or other depth starved teams didn't offer more money. Are they worse than Jarnkrok?

amikaro

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2015
Happy to read the good reviews. He's been very reliable in Detroit as well. Was surprised to see him go and sign a contract that low.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad