Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Michael DiPietro to 1-Year, 2-Way Deal ($840K)

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Asset management. You qualify him. See what other teams are willing to offer to acquire him. Then take the best offer and run. If someone offers a mid-round draft choice, you laugh as you run to the bank. If someone is offers a late round draft choice, well that's better than nothing if you let him walk by not giving him a QO.

Someone offers a mid round pick you laugh…..

He was a very very early 3rd round pick, almost a 2nd rounder. He didn’t help us at all. Then turn that in to an even later pick and you would “laugh” ?

My god.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Cool. Now trade his ass. While he still has some value.

They've completely screwed everything up with him. But he still has name recognition. That's the best property he has at this point. I never really loved the pick in the first place do to his size (or lack thereof) But Sell Sell Sell imo.

He has name recognition? I just googled him and the first 2 sites that came up were

“DiPietro let’s in first ever shot on him at NHL level “

And

“DiPietro let’s in 7 goals on 24 shots “

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He has name recognition? I just googled him and the first 2 sites that came up were

“DiPietro let’s in first ever shot on him at NHL level “

And

“DiPietro let’s in 7 goals on 24 shots “

He was "the next big thing" as a goaltender. He was Hockey Canada's goaltender of choice. He's got name recognition. That far outstrips his actual potential probably. Google better imo.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011

He was a very very early 3rd round pick, almost a 2nd rounder. He didn’t help us at all. Then turn that in to an even later pick and you would “laugh” ?

My god.

A 3rd round pick who is not looking like an NHL player in his D6+ year is certainly does not have a 3rd round pick value in the trade market. So if someone is offering up a 4th or 5th rounder, you take it to bank and run.

Reactions: Red

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I’d take a 7th to gain back the one we don’t have.

I asked Jeff Paterson what they expected return would be. He says he has no idea what DiPietro’s value is but thinks it’ll be for a prospective of similar age. That sounds about right to me.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Didn't really believe in him as a prospect and honestly don't expect anything more than future considerations for him at this point. We have 2 goalie prospects that have already passed him in the prospect ladder. If we can get a 7th for him or someone for depth in the AHL, I think I take it and run.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I’d take a 7th to gain back the one we don’t have.

I asked Jeff Paterson what they expected return would be. He says he has no idea what DiPietro’s value is but thinks it’ll be for a prospective of similar age. That sounds about right to me.
[Edit: he's not eligible for waivers until 2023-24. So this is bad logic by me]

No team would take him with the intention of playing at NHL level. His value is waiver claim only. The best deal is just one team's waiver fodder for another's.

Last edited:

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He went 13.5 months between games and 11 of those months were the direct result of management and there was nothing management could do about it.

There was a 2 month stretch where he was practicing in the NHL and lost 10 AHL starts. This didn’t ruin his development.
Someone with common sense! Had DiPietro been missing massive chunks of the season sitting up here, it would be a different story. But what’s better? Not playing at all or getting some world class training with the NHL team. He just isn’t the prospect that we hyped/hoped he would be.

Last edited:

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Someone with comment sense! Had DiPietro been missing massive chunks of the season sitting up here, it would be a different story. But what’s better? Not playing at all or getting some world class training with the NHL team. He just isn’t the prospect that we hyped/hoped he would be.
“Comment sense” is one of those accidental phrases that doesn’t exist yet maybe should.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Never really had enough confidence he could ever overcome his size to really care what we did with him during covid. Better goalies in the system to try and get games to first.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

My god.
You're stuck on the sunk cost fallacy. Where he was drafted doesn't matter. It's irrelevant. Just make the correct decision and move forward.

DP doesn't have a place in the organization anymore. If any team wants to give VAN an asset for him, you just take it.

Reactions: tyhee and Red

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Not everything was a negative as being suggested her. Had some good stretches his first year in Utica (2019 -2020) and showed some promise.

Covid and the resulting idiotic deployment by Benning did seem to hurt his development and cost him a season That likely contributed to his less than stellar year he Abby. That and the excellent play of Martin who emerged as a potential player in Vancouver and who needed the game time to prove it..

Right now the team should be trying to maximize DiPietro value. Lot of goalies need time (such as Martin) to refine their play and wouldn't hurt to use him in Abbotsford to see if he can regain his form.

Too many knee jerk reactions here saying just throw him to the wolves.

Reactions: mossey3535

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Why couldn't he have gotten NHL level goaltending help AND another 5-10 AHL starts? This is a false dichotomy.

You can't develop without playing time, and the more playing time the better. Goalies can benefit more from targeted practices rather than the free for all that is often a main team practice. They can also benefit a lot from semi-extended breaks from playing to work with a goalie coach. However, part of this is how well a particular goalie coach simulates game conditions in their practices. IMO Melanson was better at this than Clark who is more teach-y.

But its head scratching to think that anyone would suggest that missing starts doesn't matter in development. It clearly does. Lots of times you will get in lots of practice time and the techniques you learn abandon you during the game.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Why couldn't he have gotten NHL level goaltending help AND another 5-10 AHL starts? This is a false dichotomy.

You can't develop without playing time, and the more playing time the better. Goalies can benefit more from targeted practices rather than the free for all that is often a main team practice. They can also benefit a lot from semi-extended breaks from playing to work with a goalie coach. However, part of this is how well a particular goalie coach simulates game conditions in their practices. IMO Melanson was better at this than Clark who is more teach-y.

But its head scratching to think that anyone would suggest that missing starts doesn't matter in development. It clearly does. Lots of times you will get in lots of practice time and the techniques you learn abandon you during the game.
Thank you

Reactions: shottasasa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad