Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Michael DiPietro to 1-Year, 2-Way Deal ($840K)

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Now we have this out of the way maybe they could look into the Miller trade?

Hope Dipietro performs well, wherever he plays. Remember when he got called up to Team Canada that one time? Good memories.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
He should start in the ECHL imo if we can't find a trading partner for him. I think Silovs is the better prospect at this point.
Only players on entry level contracts can be sent to the ECHL without the players permission. I don't see DiPietro or Delia accepting an ECHL assignment and they shouldn't send Silovs down.

It will be interesting to see what happens. A three goalie rotation in Abbotsford wouldn't be good for anyone. I could see a DiPietro being loaned to a different AHL team. I would hate if Silovs was sent to the ECHL without being given a shot in Abbotsford.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Feel bad for Mikey. The team really screwed up his development letting him essentially sit for a year. Not sure he would have made it anyways but that pretty much sealed the deal.

Utica played a 28-game season in 20-21. He started 4 of those so he lost maybe 10 starts.

And instead he got to hang out in Vancouver full time with Ian Clark practicing against NHL shooters.

I don’t but it as an excuse at all.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Utica played a 28-game season in 20-21. He started 4 of those so he lost maybe 10 starts.

And instead he got to hang out in Vancouver full time with Ian Clark practicing against NHL shooters.

I don’t but it as an excuse at all.

Not an excuse for him specifically; but I think that was a funky year for both his and Silovs’ development in terms of very limited game action. But as you said, at least DiPietro got to work with Clark a lot.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not an excuse for him specifically; but I think that was a funky year for both his and Silovs’ development in terms of very limited game action. But as you said, at least DiPietro got to work with Clark a lot.

Oh, sure. It was a funky year for lots of guys.

But relative to the baseline once COVID happened, I don't think losing 10 starts of game action while being in a much better practice situation and able to work more closely with our renowned goalie coach set him back. And I'm not going to blame Benning for 'ruining him' with how that was handled.

He was never a great prospect. Too small, too technically suspect.

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, sure. It was a funky year for lots of guys.

But relative to the baseline once COVID happened, I don't think losing 10 starts of game action while being in a much better practice situation and able to work more closely with our renowned goalie coach set him back. And I'm not going to blame Benning for 'ruining him' with how that was handled.

He was never a great prospect. Too small, too technically suspect.
He got NHL level training and full access to all the big clubs trainers. If anything that was a better development curve than staying in the AHL

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Developing your game with trainers from the best league in the world is now bad?

I'll take Kevin Woodley's opinion over yours if you don't mind.

Im sure you've also heard how Ian Clarke doesn't want his goalies to participate in shooting drills and 2 on 1 drills etc because it enforces bad habits for goalies.

But yeah. I don't agree that having a goalie not play hockey for a year is good for his development no.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I'll take Kevin Woodley's opinion over yours if you don't mind.

Im sure you've also heard how Ian Clarke doesn't want his goalies to participate in shooting drills and 2 on 1 drills etc because it enforces bad habits for goalies.

But yeah. I don't agree that having a goalie not play hockey for a year is good for his development no.
As already stated he lost roughly 10 starts

World class development > starting 10 games

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
As already stated he lost roughly 10 starts

World class development > starting 10 games

He should have been in position to get more than 10 starts. Obviously. Very obviously.

While also getting world class development from Curtis Sanford who closely works with Ian.

Again I'll take Woodley's opinion over yours if you don't mind.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He should have been in position to get more than 10 starts. Obviously. Very obviously.

While also getting world class development from Curtis Sanford who closely works with Ian.

Again I'll take Woodley's opinion over yours if you don't mind.
Or get world class training from Ian Clarke himself

If missing out on roughly 10 AHL games stunted this kids development, we have bigger issues with him

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
It’s time for a change. Poorly development not sure why anyone is defending it. Practices with Ian Clark are great but any one who has actually played pro sports will tell you, nothing compares to the games.

Hopefully he can get it back, maybe the return is another meddling prospect or a 5th?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Or get world class training from Ian Clarke himself

If missing out on roughly 10 AHL games stunted this kids development, we have bigger issues with him

If you are not even going to read my responses I think this conversation is over.

I'll rather take Kevin Woodley's educated opinion over your generalisations.

Reactions: AlbOilFAN

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
If you are not even going to read my responses I think this conversation is over.

I'll rather take Kevin Woodley's educated opinion over your generalisations.
You do you, doesn’t change the fact that the 10 or so games he missed isn’t a huge detriment to his development. We aren’t talking about season of games lost here without any form of practice

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You do you, doesn’t change the fact that the 10 or so games he missed isn’t a huge detriment to his development. We aren’t talking about season of games lost here without any form of practice

You think it is fine for a 20 year old goalie prospect to go 18 months between games and I and Kevin Woodley dont. That is all.

Have a nice day.

Also most young players lost that year of development, DiPietro is not a special case.

This is an entirely different argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad