Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Michael DiPietro to 1-Year, 2-Way Deal ($840K)

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
You think it is fine for a 20 year old goalie prospect to go 18 months between games and I and Kevin Woodley dont. That is all.

Have a nice day.

This is an entirely different argument.
Yup those extra 10 games in an 18 month were so crucial to his development 🤣

(Not to mention he never went 18 months without playing)

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Also most young players lost that year of development, DiPietro is not a special case.
That entire league of black aces has completely derailed development wise, they better just call it a career now. They’ll never recover and become NHL players because of it

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I still occasionally lurk here. I'll chime in on Mikey DiPietro and the lost year of development.

IMHO there are three steps involved with the proper development of a young goaltender. If one of those steps are missing or skipped then development is negatively impacted.

Step one is on ice training with a quality goalie coach.

Step two is competitive game action to utilize the techniques that the goalie coach taught during practice.

Step three is off ice analysis of game video to identify areas of the goaltender's game that needs to be worked on during practice.

Rinse and repeat back to step one again.

I don't care how good the coach is, if step two is missing from the development plan it is an incomplete plan for a young goaltender.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
I'll comment on DiPietro in the present having watched him in Abbotsford this year

He's really not good chief. Like I was nervous and concerned everytime he was in net. Small and plays small, poor positioning without the quickness and agility to make up for it, and easily rattled by a goal

I don't think missing a year of development caused all those I think it's a case of these being issues his whole career that he's been unable to work on. I don't really understand why we brought him back unless another team thinks he has value via trade. I'd rather go Delia/Silovs in Abby

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I still occasionally lurk here. I'll chime in on Mikey DiPietro and the lost year of development.

IMHO there are three steps involved with the proper development of a young goaltender. If one of those steps are missing or skipped then development is negatively impacted.

Step one is on ice training with a quality goalie coach.

Step two is competitive game action to utilize the techniques that the goalie coach taught during practice.

Step three is off ice analysis of game video to identify areas of the goaltender's game that needs to be worked on during practice.

Rinse and repeat back to step one again.

I don't care how good the coach is, if step two is missing from the development plan it is an incomplete plan for a young goaltender.
Thanks for your input. Agree on all counts!

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Its okay to admit you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

He went 13.5 months between games and 11 of those months were the direct result of management and there was nothing management could do about it.

There was a 2 month stretch where he was practicing in the NHL and lost 10 AHL starts. This didn’t ruin his development.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I know I was critical of the lack of game time for Mikey but thinking on it again……goaltending development has generally been strong since Burke was shown the door. Past history upon reflection gives them the benefit of any doubt.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
From him getting his first NHL call-up and then shellacked out of his mind (I was at that game...ouch) because Benning couldn't manage the depth situation in net (which any amateur online could and did spot), then to going a prolonged period of time without substantive game action during your formative years, there can't really be any defence for DiPietro being mishandled.

Now whether that was the reason he's stalled or not is a separate issue, but at a minimum, we did not set him up for success.

With Silovs doing well and Martin surpassing DiPietro as next in line, it's best for everyone if we can move him for any kind of return, maybe as an add-on to a Miller / Garland / Boeser trade for defensive help.

From him getting his first NHL call-up and then shellacked out of his mind because Benning couldn't manage the depth situation in net (which any amateur online could and did spot), then to going a prolonged period of time without substantive game action during your formative years, there can't really be any defence for DiPietro being mishandled.

Now whether that was the reason he's stalled or not is a separate issue, but at a minimum, we did not set him up for success.

With Silovs doing well and Martin surpassing DiPietro as next in line, it's best for everyone if we can move him for any kind of return, maybe as an add-on to a Miller / Garland / Boeser trade for defensive help.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The best hope for DiPietro now is that his development somehow mirrors that of Jordan Binnington in St. Louis. A shorter goalie, who bounced around in the minors for more than a few years before finding his game.

Sadly I doubt that happens in Vancouver., Clark has a pretty clear of 'foundational principles', in developing 'project goalies'. It starts with size, athleticism and longer limbs to cover shots down low. So that means guys like Silovs and Koskenuvo who are in the 6'4" range. And even goalies they picked up like Martin and Delia are 6'3" or 6'2".

Still, you can't argue with the fact that both DiPietro and Silovs have had a couple of terrible development years through no fault of their own.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The best hope for DiPietro now is that his development somehow mirrors that of Jordan Binnington in St. Louis. A shorter goalie, who bounced around in the minors for more than a few years before finding his game.

Sadly I doubt that happens in Vancouver., Clark has a pretty clear of 'foundational principles', in developing 'project goalies'. It starts with size, athleticism and longer limbs to cover shots down low. So that means guys like Silovs and Koskenuvo who are in the 6'4" range. And even goalies they picked up like Martin and Delia are 6'3" or 6'2".

Still, you can't argue with the fact that both DiPietro and Silovs have had a couple of terrible development years through no fault of their own.
Agreed. Unfortunately Binnington is a very rare exception.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports
The agent for G Michael DiPietro
Darren Ferris has permission from the Canucks to talk to teams and help with a trade.
3:19 PM · Jul 17, 2022

Reactions: Red

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports
The agent for G Michael DiPietro
Darren Ferris has permission from the Canucks to talk to teams and help with a trade.
3:19 PM · Jul 17, 2022
If we can get a 7th for him, that would be a win. Likely he gets traded in a 1:1 for someone equivalent though – a draft+4 or draft+5 player who has fallen out of favour elsewhere.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
0CBC352B-72BF-4AE2-BED9-2EC8E18AB43D.jpeg

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Then what was the point of signing him at all?

Asset management. You qualify him. See what other teams are willing to offer to acquire him. Then take the best offer and run. If someone offers a mid-round draft choice, you laugh as you run to the bank. If someone is offers a late round draft choice, well that's better than nothing if you let him walk by not giving him a QO.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Cool. Now trade his ass. While he still has some value.

They've completely screwed everything up with him. But he still has name recognition. That's the best property he has at this point. I never really loved the pick in the first place do to his size (or lack thereof) But Sell Sell Sell imo.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad