Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Michael DiPietro to 1-Year, 2-Way Deal ($840K)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
DiPietro has clearly fallen down the depth chart. My expectation is that he gets dealt. If not, he could get loaned to another organization. They want Silovs to be the next one and Delia is the veteran they brought in so that Silovs has some support. This is actually the preferred scenario for an AHL team, a young up and comer with a veteran.
Delia also given that they have a limited nhl experienced backup in Martin and want a veteran 3rd option should the big club need it.

Reactions: iceburg

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see DiPietro's agent Derran Ferris has been sharply critical of the way in which his client has been developed by the Canucks. He says that DiPietro has handled his lengthy bouts of inactivity with grace and optimism, but it seems now that he desperately needs a fresh start somewhere else.

Amen to that.....I can't believe this situation won't be resolved before training camp. The signing of Delia in the off-season was the final straw. DiPietro seems like a class act and I hope he finds success somewhere else in the NHL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I see DiPietro's agent Derran Ferris has been sharply critical of the way in which his client has been developed by the Canucks. He says that DiPietro has handled his lengthy bouts of inactivity with grace and optimism, but it seems now that he desperately needs a fresh start somewhere else.

Amen to that.....I can't believe this situation won't be resolved before training camp. The signing of Delia in the off-season was the final straw. DiPietro seems like a class act and I hope he finds success somewhere else in the NHL.
They’ve given Mikey and his agent permission to find a trade partner. Also sounds like the agent is covering himself in the event he can’t find a trade partner for his client.

Delia signing is about having a more experienced 3rd option. Neither Silovs or Mikey if they needed another option for a month is something the regime is confident in.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

Why can’t you believe it won’t be resolved? He isn’t an NHL goalie and I highly doubt any team is going to give him many starts in the AHL

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't really understand the fresh start argument and the Canucks giving up on him. Say the Canucks "dropped the ball" and COVID stalled his development. He just turned 23 years old. He had a bad season last year but so what? He was outplayed by a 26 year old Martin who had a career year. Was he outplayed by Silovs to the point he played 10 games and Silovs 34? No.

There's new management. Ian Clark remains a top goalie coach. He'll have a new goalie coach working with him with Sanford leaving. Martin is all but guaranteed the backup job behind Demko. No reason why he can't come in and win the #1 job in Abbotsford and be the next goalie up.

How many games have Silovs played the past two years? Not counting international appearances, Silovs played 10 ECHL games and 10 AHL games last season. The season before that, he played 6 games in Latvia and 1 game in the NHL. But most of us here are excited about Silovs and the reports are saying he has passed Dipietro in the depth chart.

I just don't know why management doesn't simply try and smooth things over with Dipietro. Tell him that he still a big part of the team's plans. There's a long list of goalies who developed pretty well at a later age as part of the Canucks' organization, including Spencer Martin last year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't really understand the fresh start argument and the Canucks giving up on him. Say the Canucks "dropped the ball" and COVID stalled his development. He just turned 23 years old. He had a bad season last year but so what? He was outplayed by a 26 year old Martin who had a career year. Was he outplayed by Silovs to the point he played 10 games and Silovs 34? No.

There's new management. Ian Clark remains a top goalie coach. He'll have a new goalie coach working with him with Sanford leaving. Martin is all but guaranteed the backup job behind Demko. No reason why he can't come in and win the #1 job in Abbotsford and be the next goalie up.

How many games have Silovs played the past two years? Not counting international appearances, Silovs played 10 ECHL games and 10 AHL games last season. The season before that, he played 6 games in Latvia and 1 game in the NHL. But most of us here are excited about Silovs and the reports are saying he has passed Dipietro in the depth chart.

I just don't know why management doesn't simply try and smooth things over with Dipietro. Tell him that he still a big part of the team's plans. There's a long list of goalies who developed pretty well at a later age as part of the Canucks' organization, including Spencer Martin last year.

Per the bolded, I'm guessing the new management and Ian Clark are just not fans.

I made the point a few times last year watching Abbotsford that I liked Martin and Silovs better when they were playing badly than Dipietro when he was playing well.

He's small and he's a technical mess. And Ian Clark has a ton of power here when it comes to goalies, and if Clark believed in Dipietro I don't see where we'd be moving on.

Reactions: MarkMM

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

Yeah, my guess is that management just doesn't believe in DiPietro...right or wrong, if that's their call then makes sense for both sides to move on and that's what it looks like to me unless any other info comes out.

Reactions: MS

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Per the bolded, I'm guessing the new management and Ian Clark are just not fans.

I made the point a few times last year watching Abbotsford that I liked Martin and Silovs better when they were playing badly than Dipietro when he was playing well.

He's small and he's a technical mess. And Ian Clark has a ton of power here when it comes to goalies, and if Clark believed in Dipietro I don't see where we'd be moving on.
Well said. Clark is not a fan. Wasting a top 100 pick on an undersized goaltender was foolish. Don’t double down on stupid and cut the kid loose

Last edited:
Reactions: MS

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well said. Clark is not a fan. Wasting a top 100 pick on an undersized goaltender was foolish. Don’t double down on stupid and cut the kid loose
Clark was not a part of the organization when they drafted Dipietro. The 2017 draft, Oettinger in round 1 is trending towards top 10 and higher goalie. UPL for Buffalo has 13 appears in the NHL so far, which isn't shocking given that he's 23 and shouldn't be in the NHL on a bad team. But, this fall he should be.

Dipieto was the 3rd goalie in that draft, but another 5 went in round 3 as well.
LA - Villalta - AHL
Edm - Skinner - AHL
Phi - Ustimenko - mostly ECHL
Col - Tarasov - AHL but limited action with just 15 appearances last season
Det - Petruzzelli - didn't sign with Det after NCAA. ECHL mostly since.

Another 5 goalies went in round 4. Most notably was Jeremy Swayman out of USHL. Toronto took Ian Scott, who was on the WJHC team with Dipietro but he recently retired due to a rash of injuries in his young career.

Dipietro by far was the shortest goalie taken of the top 13 guys who went. Next shortest was Kvaca by Colorado who was listed at 6'1 and 169 lbs in round 4. Everyone else was 6'2 and taller with a couple of giants at 6'5 plus.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Whether DiPietro is too short or was ever destined to be an NHL goalie to begin with, you can't argue with his agent that the Canucks handled the development of his client abysmally. But it was the same for Silovs.

Both these kids went almost two seasons without playing a game. I understand that COVID disrupted everything. But apparently they either didn't try or failed to loan their goalies to other leagues or even teams in Europe to get them some playing time.

I'm sure neither kid complained......but the Canucks have to own up to this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad