Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Braden Holtby to 2-Year Deal ($4.3M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Caps fan here. You guys are lucky to have him. He's a winner with the confidence of a Stanley Cup champion -- a VERY rare quality (and something your team could use (no offence)). A new setting should breathe some life into him, maybe he can regain his 2018 form.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Caps fan here. You guys are lucky to have him. He's a winner with the confidence of a Stanley Cup champion -- a VERY rare quality (and something your team could use (no offence)). A new setting should breathe some life into him, maybe he can regain his 2018 form.
Allow me to introduce you to our defensive . . . sys . . . syst . . . sy . . . I can't do it. I just can't do it.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
they have the “no plan” plan. The plan is to just acquire any player you want at any price they or their teams want and pretend there is no cap.
Lol man I try to to severly limit my comments that Jim Benning is like the Trump of NHL, something I have felt since 2016.

But jesus this is pretty much word for word what was said about Trumps gongshow.

They cant articulate their plan becaise they are worried about leaks... Smh

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Lol man I try to to severly limit my comments that Jim Benning is like the Trump of NHL, something I have felt since 2016.

But jesus this is pretty much word for word what was said about Trumps gongshow.

They cant articulate their plan becaise they are worried about leaks... Smh

Well they did get the Schmidt deal done without anyone knowing.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Can't understand why some are upset with this contract.

Signing a backup to a 1 yr deal is an awful strategy. In the event that Demko struggles you need an experienced goaltender to fill the void. Expecting a backup to fill in 30 games and giving Demko a heavy workload can easily backfire. The assumption that Demko is going to continue to improve next year isn't a sure thing - goalies develop weird in case no one has paid attention the last 20 years.

Canucks paid a veteran goaltender to mentor Demko the next couple years. Don't sign a backup and let Demko sink....absolutely awful strategy. Benning made the right choice here.

the old mentorpede is back!

nice

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Apologies if this has already been thoroughly discussed, but what's the thinking with the structure of the contract? Is the idea to shift the dollars to the second year to make it less likely that Holtby will be taken in the expansion draft? It will also make him more difficult to trade after year one, should it turn out that doing so would make sense.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Apologies if this has already been thoroughly discussed, but what's the thinking with the structure of the contract? Is the idea to shift the dollars to the second year to make it less likely that Holtby will be taken in the expansion draft? It will also make him more difficult to trade after year one, should it turn out that doing so would make sense.
My guess is that it is owner driven. Higher likelihood of gate revenue in the 2nd year so from their POV it makes more sense to push the heavier salary to that year. Nothing to do with an actual hockey decision, just business.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Which isnt the point at all.

I read your post with your Trump comparison as suggesting Benning not having a plan and that's why he couldn't articulate it and you didn't buy the Canucks didn't want leaks argument. My point is that it looks like he had the Schmidt deal in place before Tanev made his decision, and nobody knew about it until the deal was official. So while we are here shocked at the fact that we lost both Tanev and Stecher on Saturday, Benning actually had the Schmidt in place (contingent on Pietro signing with Vegas) and done on the same day, we just didn't learn about it until Monday.

Reactions: Bougieman

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Seems like lots of players are taking less money in Year 1, likely knowing it will be a shorter season with high escrow. He has a better chance of actually seeing the money in Year 2.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Holtby is apparently stuck at the border with two tortoises because he didn't get the appropriate export permits (but got the import permits for Canada). 2020 hits again.

0A8F1895-084F-414E-A608-4F4A167BC38D.gif

Best tweet there
”the Calgary Flames are trying to acquire the tortoises”

That’s brilliant.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What are the chances Holtby finishes his two-year contract with the Canucks?....seems like a prime candidate to be plucked in the expansion draft by Seattle. He'd be a solid, veteran goalie who'd be on an expiring contract.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
What are the chances Holtby finishes his two-year contract with the Canucks?....seems like a prime candidate to be plucked in the expansion draft by Seattle. He'd be a solid, veteran goalie who'd be on an expiring contract.

That's up to Holtby's play. We have to hope he plays well enough to be worth poaching (if he bounces back, he's likely the best option for Seattle over the next few years).

Reactions: bh53

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

With 5.7MM on his remaining year of the contract for a brand new franchise during pandemic/pandemic recovery, I would think that Seattle looks at cheaper/younger/better options in net.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With 5.7MM on his remaining year of the contract for a brand new franchise during pandemic/pandemic recovery, I would think that Seattle looks at cheaper/younger/better options in net.
According to Cap Friendly, Holtby is earning $4.3m a season....so not sure where the the $5.7m figure is coming from.

And when you look at it from Seattle's perspective, if Holtby is coming off a decent season with the Canucks they can secure quality goaltending in their inaugural season and then flip him at the trade deadline for a team needing goaltending down the stretch. Makes some sense to me.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
According to Cap Friendly, Holtby is earning $4.3m a season....so not sure where the the $5.7m figure is coming from.

And when you look at it from Seattle's perspective, if Holtby is coming off a decent season with the Canucks they can secure quality goaltending in their inaugural season and then flip him at the trade deadline for a team needing goaltending down the stretch. Makes some sense to me.
5.7 million cash in his final year. And who do the Canucks replace him with? Unless you think the Canucks will be well out of it at the trade deadline.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Braden Holtby is one of my two favourite non Canucks goalies(Cam Ward) of my watching hockey days. They both won Cups I really cared about. I really wanted to see Ovechkin break through, and holy Toledo did I ever need Carolina to keep the Cup out of Edmonton :laugh:

Reactions: mcnucker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad