Confirmed with Link: Canucks Sign F Nils Åman

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Considering he said he doesn’t want to play in the AHL and would rather play in Sweden, I’d hazard a guess he has either an out clause or already came to a loan agreement/understanding with the team.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Considering he said he doesn’t want to play in the AHL and would rather play in Sweden, I’d hazard a guess he has either an out clause or already came to a loan agreement/understanding with the team.

Weird situation as he's hardly blown the doors off Europe and is only 22, and you'd think the preferred option would be to start him in the AHL to acclimatize him to NA and take it from there.

But apparently it's either NHL right off the bat or back to Sweden.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Weird situation as he's hardly blown the doors off Europe and is only 22, and you'd think the preferred option would be to start him in the AHL to acclimatize him to NA and take it from there.

I read that interview and that wasnt the sense that I got from it. He is focused on the NHL as a goal, but the title of NHL or bust seemed misconstrued by the writer because of Jim Rutherfords previous statement about how they can offer top FAs spots on the team (I dont think Aman was who he was talking about)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

There are a good number of non North American raised players that prefer to return to their home countries to continue to play vs go to the A.
Even, if the best place for further develop is the A, players seem to want to return home.

Should be willing to invest a year if needed to go to the A. More understanding if he can’t make the club in 2023 to return home.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I read that interview and that wasnt the sense that I got from it. He is focused on the NHL as a goal, but the title of NHL or bust seemed misconstrued by the writer because of Jim Rutherfords previous statement about how they can offer top FAs spots on the team (I dont think Aman was who he was talking about)

This passage in this article definitely seemed to indicate he wasn't happy with the idea of playing in the AHL.

After he went unsigned by the Avalanche, Åman made it clear that his sights are set firmly on the NHL in an interview with Dala-Demokraten.

“We'll see what happens. It's always been a dream to go over and play in the U.S. or Canada, so of course, you'll take that chance if you get it,” said Åman. “But I'd rather play in Leksand than in the farm league in the AHL.”

Perhaps that is why Åman couldn't come to terms with the Avalanche, who, as a Stanley Cup favourite, have a much more difficult NHL lineup to crack than the Canucks.

However, it seems like that interview was with a Colorado reporter about him signing in Colorado, so maybe things are different here?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
However, it seems like that interview was with a Colorado reporter about him signing in Colorado, so maybe things are different here?

Wouldn't be surprising if Allvin, Sedins, and the prospect of being in Abby with Karlsson would be enticing enough for him to stick around.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
This passage in this article definitely seemed to indicate he wasn't happy with the idea of playing in the AHL.

I could see moving the farm team to be co-located (relatively speaking) in the Greater Vancouver area being a difference maker.

If you're a bubble player then you face the prospect of shuffling back and forth between the NHL and AHL cities, not able to firmly set roots down if you don't know where you'll be, and the difference between being in the big city or a town like Loveland of 75,000 is pretty stark.

An advantage of the Vancouver / Abbotsford situation is that bubble players can live in the same place and just commute to whichever team you're assigned to, and getting sent to the AHL doesn't mean having to leave behind the amenities of a big city.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC

Wouldn't be surprising if Allvin, Sedins, and the prospect of being in Abby with Karlsson would be enticing enough for him to stick around.

The difference in depth is probably a big factor here. It might not be a blanket refusal to play in the AHL, but he's more likely to be okay with an agreement that's something like "we may start you in the A in Vancouver, but you've got a very good chance of being one of our top 2-3 callups consistently throughout the year to build your NHL experience" vs being in Colorado, where the reality of being locked into the A for a full year is far more of a certainty.

Reactions: Vector and MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I could see moving the farm team to be co-located (relatively speaking) in the Greater Vancouver area being a difference maker.

If you're a bubble player then you face the prospect of shuffling back and forth between the NHL and AHL cities, not able to firmly set roots down if you don't know where you'll be, and the difference between being in the big city or a town like Loveland of 75,000 is pretty stark.

An advantage of the Vancouver / Abbotsford situation is that bubble players can live in the same place and just commute to whichever team you're assigned to, and getting sent to the AHL doesn't mean having to leave behind the amenities of a big city.

True, but keep in mind that Colorado also has their AHL team in Denver so it was the same situation there.

Generally speaking, though, yes it is an asset for the player to be able to know he's going to be living in the same city regardless of whether he makes the NHL team.

Reactions: Zippgunn

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I doubt those tweeners are planning on living in Surrey to be in between Van and Abby. Most Canucks from what I understand either live in a . Downtown condo or in a home on the west side.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I doubt those tweeners are planning on living in Surrey to be in between Van and Abby. Most Canucks from what I understand either live in a . Downtown condo or in a home on the west side.

I mean sure, they're millionaires. Living downtown Vancouver is still a favorable commute even if you're playing in Abbotsford. Having 'home base' in one location is more the point, not that the home base has to be perfectly situated between Abbotsford and Vancouver.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
His pedestrian stats in the SHL scream 'third-fourth liner' to me if ever makes it to the NHL. He can play center, which will help his evolution since the Canucks are lean down the middle. But only if the improves dramatically in the faceoff dot.

Still, it was interesting that Swedish Hockey picked him for the recent World Hockey Championships and decided to drop Linus Karlsson, who was a top-10 scorer in the SHL and rookie of the year.

Still, it'll be very interesting to follow the careers of both guys, who weren't signed to be loaned to Swedish teams, but to help the Canucks in the 'here and now'. Hopefully the Canucks scouts were right on these guys.

Reactions: Lindgren

cc

Feb 28, 2002
with 3 Swedes on the Canucks newly minted development team, it will an interesting test to see if that will benefit his development in some way.

Reactions: Vector

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
His pedestrian stats in the SHL scream 'third-fourth liner' to me if ever makes it to the NHL. He can play center, which will help his evolution since the Canucks are lean down the middle. But only if the improves dramatically in the faceoff dot.

Still, it was interesting that Swedish Hockey picked him for the recent World Hockey Championships and decided to drop Linus Karlsson, who was a top-10 scorer in the SHL and rookie of the year.

Still, it'll be very interesting to follow the careers of both guys, who weren't signed to be loaned to Swedish teams, but to help the Canucks in the 'here and now'. Hopefully the Canucks scouts were right on these guys.
Which is fine to be a 3/4 C. Canucks need help there too. The role of a 3/4 C is the PK and check. Has to be the type of role that NA has to do based on his limited offensive production.

As for Karlsson, does his SHL scoring translate or does he need to change his game to make the nhl? Some kids can score in the ncaa or chl but end up being checkers in the nhl.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Which is fine to be a 3/4 C. Canucks need help there too. The role of a 3/4 C is the PK and check. Has to be the type of role that NA has to do based on his limited offensive production.

As for Karlsson, does his SHL scoring translate or does he need to change his game to make the nhl? Some kids can score in the ncaa or chl but end up being checkers in the nhl.

Karlsson is an iffy skater who had nice hockey card stats last year by putting up a ton of points (and literally half his goals) on the PP.

I’m not so sure he has an easy transition and he’s simply not going to get PP minutes for Vancouver.

Aman seems a lot better suited to find a depth role.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Karlsson is an iffy skater who had nice hockey card stats last year by putting up a ton of points (and literally half his goals) on the PP.

I’m not so sure he has an easy transition and he’s simply not going to get PP minutes for Vancouver.

Aman seems a lot better suited to find a depth role.

Exactly. Karlsson’s main role, in the NHL, would be 2nd unit PP shooter. He has to improve his skating and, at least, tread water at EV to have a chance to earn a full time slot or have success as a call-up.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Exactly. Karlsson’s main role, in the NHL, would be 2nd unit PP shooter. He has to improve his skating and, at least, tread water at EV to have a chance to earn a full time slot or have success as a call-up.
Meaning more likely than not he needs to bring more to the table than scoring. Needs to learn how to PK.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Meaning more likely than not he needs to bring more to the table than scoring. Needs to learn how to PK.

Yup. PK, forechecking, defensive awareness, playmaking, something. He’s pretty one dimensional as it is and you hope that the Sedins can have an immediate transformative impact. It’s a lot to ask for everyone involved.

And he’s still the team’s second best prospect…

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Most slowish skill shooter/PP types simply can't learn to PK, though.

Karlsson is probably a top-6/bust guy and top-6 is going to be a big stretch. Especially under this coach.

Karlsson is 23 and it's basically now or never for him. If he'd signed an ELC in 2009 like guys from the CHL his age it would be finished now and he'd be hitting waiver eligibility.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I mean sure, they're millionaires. Living downtown Vancouver is still a favorable commute even if you're playing in Abbotsford. Having 'home base' in one location is more the point, not that the home base has to be perfectly situated between Abbotsford and Vancouver.
Nobody playing in the AHL on an entry-level contract is renting a condo downtown. Check out the two-way salaries on Cap Friendly. Most of them aren't making $100,,000 a year when they're playing in Abby.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

I dont think you quite understand what the reputation (I happen to believe for a good reason.) of the AHL in general is in Europe.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I dont think you quite understand what the reputation (I happen to believe for a good reason.) of the AHL in general is in Europe.

I totally understand that it's viewed as a second tier league.

I also understand that that is a totally incorrect opinion rooted in national pride. The AHL is better than the SHL and absolute miles better than the Liiga and the Czech league.

And I also understand that players who want to play in the NHL but are unwilling to use the AHL as a stepping stone for that goal are shooting themselves in the foot.

Reactions: mossey3535

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad