Confirmed with Link: Canucks Sign F Nils Åman

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Burrows was traded for Dahlen (who played in the NHL last year) who was then traded for Karlsson.
Soo thats not exactly nothing
Technically true....but Burrows was an impending UFA that spring whom the Canucks had no interest in bringing back. So Burrows became Dahlen, who then turned into Karlsson. So that to me, is almost a 'free asset'.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I get it for guys in their mid-20s who are European stars (like Kuzmenko) where if they can't make the NHL going back and getting $$$ in Europe makes more sense.

But for a guy who is 22 and has a career high of 14 SHL points, if you're unwilling to view the AHL as a necessary stepping stone it's going to be very difficult to carve out an NHL career.

It's going to be very difficult for that player either way, and there's a definite decision to be made as to whether it's worth it to move your whole life to Abbotsford or Utica or Des Moines or whatever to grind it out on the bus in the AHL as opposed to staying put and building your profile in your home league. I suspect we're looking at this from a Canadian perspective, while for many of these players making the NHL isn't necessarily the only thing in the world.

I'm often reminded of Wellwood going on waivers and basically saying something to the effect of "yeah I want to play in the show, but I'm a top player in any other league in the world so I'll be fine." At some point the dream is also a career and livelihood.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's going to be very difficult for that player either way, and there's a definite decision to be made as to whether it's worth it to move your whole life to Abbotsford or Utica or Des Moines or whatever to grind it out on the bus in the AHL as opposed to staying put and building your profile in your home league. I suspect we're looking at this from a Canadian perspective, while for many of these players making the NHL isn't necessarily the only thing in the world.

I'm often reminded of Wellwood going on waivers and basically saying something to the effect of "yeah I want to play in the show, but I'm a top player in any other league in the world so I'll be fine." At some point the dream is also a career and livelihood.

Oh, for sure. There are lots of guys who are happy where they are and I don't begrudge them that for a second.

However, if you're a guy who wants to play in NA and is pursuing that and signing a contract with an NHL team, not fully committing and half-measuring and leaving if you can't walk into a job probably isn't the best approach.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Seems likely that both Anan and probably Karlsson as well will need some time in Abbotsford. But there's a couple of Russian wingers hitting free agency, who the Canucks should be all over.

Obviously Valeri Nichushkin won't come cheap, but is rapidly becoming a force out there. And Ilya Mikheyev in TO is definitely an 'under the radar' UFA who looks poised to be a perennial 20-30 goal guy. Line-mates for Podkiolzin?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Nichuskin isnt the same outside Colorado and Mikheyev is absolutely awful outside the bottom 6/pk.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Nichuskin isnt the same outside Colorado and Mikheyev is absolutely awful outside the bottom 6/pk.
Not really understanding the dissing of Nichushkin....outside of McKinnon, he might be the best Av's forward in the playoffs. He's a force every time his hits the ice.

Hard to fathom why he crashed and burned with the Stars.....but I note that he suffered a serious ACL and MCL injury early in his career. Sometimes takes a long time to come back from serious knee problems.

Still say he'd look awfully good in the Canucks lineup, but has probably priced himself out of this market.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Seems likely that both Anan and probably Karlsson as well will need some time in Abbotsford. But there's a couple of Russian wingers hitting free agency, who the Canucks should be all over.

Obviously Valeri Nichushkin won't come cheap, but is rapidly becoming a force out there. And Ilya Mikheyev in TO is definitely an 'under the radar' UFA who looks poised to be a perennial 20-30 goal guy. Line-mates for Podkiolzin?
Nichushkin has definitely priced himself out.
While I agree that his numbers would drop significantly on another team, he offers a lot of help in more ways than just his point scoring.
But, he could get the dreaded 6x6 Louie Eriksson contract, and I wouldn’t want to commit that type of money to a guy that’s had 1 season that would justify that type of contract.

I love Mikheyev as a player. He’s got good size and his wheels are about as good as you’ll get in the the league. He’s a great forechecker and hounds the puck.

I don’t think he’s a 30 goal scorer. I think he could be in tough to be a consistent 20 goal scorer because he doesn’t have great hands, but he does so much else right, that I think he changes the the look fo our forward group considerably (we instantly become faster and harder to play against for opposing d-men).

I expect he gets way overpaid though. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a contract in the 4.5-5 million range.

At 5 million, I wonder if it’s better to trade for Kasperi Kapanen. He’s got decent size, is also an elite skater who can get in on the forecheck and you are buying low on him after he just had a miserable season.
Over the 3 seasons preceding this last one KK, he’s a 48 point player based on PPG. I believe his QO is 3.7 million, and that could be 1 mill/yr less than Mikheyev, and there’s a good chance KK is the better player next season.

Depending on what kind of stupid money GM’s start throwing at Mikheyev, KK may be the better option.

I’d actually love to have both of those players though.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I would give Nichuskin 6x5 or 6MM without batting an eye. He's essentially a Buchnevich calibre two-way force and is UFA for his age 27 season (saw a comparison to Eriksson 6x6, which is very different due to Loui being in his age 31 season when signed).

His defensive impacts have been elite for multiple seasons and now the offence is starting to catch up. Put up fantastic ES numbers this year in increased icetime, used in all situations.

Now of course this is all moot unless Allvin radically overhauls our long term cap structure before UFA and feels he can land a player like Nichuskin.

Reactions: Peen

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
So do you guys like him so far?
Yes he's been found money. Dont see a big upside and he's probably capped as a 4th liner but he skates extremely well is good defensively and just had a great game with 2 pts to show that he's not a completely one dimensional puck pusher.

See how it goes but congrats to him for his first NHL goal and making this team he really did earn it

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Amidst all the dark clouds, Aman has been a ray of sunshine. You could see from the start that he has NHL wheels and size. And finding a guy who can switch from winger to center in a pinch is an added bonus.

And he's still only 22, so his offensive game may still come around. Basically 'found money' as a Colorado draft pick whom they failed to sign.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So do you guys like him so far?

Had a goal and an assist yesterday. Flashed some skill on the goal that noone here has seen before. Has good speed and size and is effective in his limited penalty killing minutes. Very low event player. Overall, he's playing way above expectations considering noone thought he'd even have a shot at the NHL this early.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Mediocre for a 4th line C?

Absolutely.

That line was getting caved in through 4 games and generating zero possession or scoring chances. Obviously a 4th line is a 4th line but you can't spend 70% of the time in your own zone.

And as the C on that line I thought he really struggled to make good decisions with the puck to retain possession. He worked hard but lots of guys can do that.

It's obviously his first 4 NHL games but he needed to improve significantly if he wanted to stay up here. In the last game, he did.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I thought his first 4 games were overall quite mediocre but he was excellent yesterday, big step forward.
There were some poorer shifts later in the game and a bit of aimless wandering but that line was the best thing going last night. An absolute beauty for a first career goal too. Definitely memorable.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Absolutely.

That line was getting caved in through 4 games and generating zero possession or scoring chances. Obviously a 4th line is a 4th line but you can't spend 70% of the time in your own zone.

And as the C on that line I thought he really struggled to make good decisions with the puck to retain possession. He worked hard but lots of guys can do that.

It's obviously his first 4 NHL games but he needed to improve significantly if he wanted to stay up here. In the last game, he did.

One thing I will say is I really liked his limited PK duties (4 minutes). Hasn't been scored on and did a very good job of using his speed to pressure the powerplay in the neutral zone without being trapped behind the play.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
One thing I will say is I really liked his limited PK duties (4 minutes). Hasn't been scored on and did a very good job of using his speed to pressure the powerplay in the neutral zone without being trapped behind the play.

Yes - it’s a mystery why they’re leaving JT Miller there to get lit up when there are other options.

Reactions: Indiana and Vector

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Absolutely.

Agree on all points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad