Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Ludwig Blomstrand to ELC

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I find it hilarious that he doesn't know anything about the terms. Seems like a good kid though so I'm excited to see what he can do over here.
Good thing Pat Quinn isn't running the Canucks anymore. He probably would have offered him $40 and a $5 Subway card.

May 31, 2006
I was very critical of the pick at the time (as were others), but he looks promising so far. Good job by our scouts to find this guy.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Good thing Pat Quinn isn't running the Canucks anymore. He probably would have offered him $40 and a $5 Subway card.

People talk about the Aquini and their "business practices" but what about Quinn and his infamous "old switcheroos"...

Eg., trying to pull a fast one on your best prospect (Pavel Bure) by changing the currency on the contract from US$ to CDN$ (back when our dollar was known as the "North American Peso". Pavel likely didn't forget that BS move.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
people were critical about a surprise 4th round pick?

He came out of nowhere and had crappy stats at the J20 level. Even I saw skeptical at the time. It blew over pretty quickly once some Swedish posters chimed in although I don't think most people had much hope for him.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
He came out of nowhere and had crappy stats at the J20 level. Even I saw skeptical at the time. It blew over pretty quickly once some Swedish posters chimed in although I don't think most people had much hope for him.

He's following the Hansen line of "who?". I remember when it was announced Hansen was going to Portland, people were "meh maybe he'll play on their 4th line". Here's hoping we scored another solid 3rd liner.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I was critical of what they did by dropping their 2nd and choosing 3 of the next 4 players. Completely off the board picks by a scouting staff that still hasn't earned that leeway IMO. Still skeptical about this pick because the one time I watched him, he seemed more an offensive forward than a defensive checker. So he will have to transition play style as well as adjust to the smaller ice. Lets see if can do it.

One thing to keep in mind to is that VAN is a team much more apt to give out contracts to late round "reaches" because they have a much lower frequency of picks overall, compared to other teams. So they extend contracts like this more freely.

As a whole, I still believe VAN off the board too early, and more often than they should. But that's a discussion for another thread. As it stands, good on Blomstrand for getting this far. Looking forward to seeing him here.

AE

May 10, 2010
What would you say is his skill set...who would be someone comparable would you guys say??? Thanks! Don't follow our euro prospects nearly enough.

Maybe a good one would be DRW Abdelkader.
4-line, gritty, good skater, used in PK, but not a whole lot more than that.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Still skeptical about this pick because the one time I watched him, he seemed more an offensive forward than a defensive checker. So he will have to transition play style as well as adjust to the smaller ice.

He played like a checker when he was in Djurgarden but he was on the 1st line in Almtuna and expected to score. If anything it's good that he can do both and it should allow him to be more a of an impact player on the small ice.

Seems to have a much better shot than Abdelkader already.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He played like a checker when he was in Djurgarden but he was on the 1st line in Almtuna and expected to score. If anything it's good that he can do both and it should allow him to be more a of an impact player on the small ice.

I realize he played both. When he was checker, he wasn't seeing that much ice and wasn't producing. As an offensive player, his play shifted styles and he started to score, but wasn't an impact player all over the ice in this role. I'm wondering if he can be as productive while playing a hard style, because then you're talking about a player that will definitely move up here.

arsmaster*

The guy is built like a truck.

If he can skate and forecheck like Hansen with that frame, we've got a beauty on our hands.

I didn't like the pick at the time (don't know anyone who did), but he's developing and hopefully that continues.

AE

May 10, 2010

That probably says more about Almtuna than him, when the players on your first line are usually described as "defensively solid". (Almtuna has a very large proportion of "other teams rejects")
Haven't seen much of Abdelkaders shot and don't think Babcock wants to either, it's not his job and neither will Blomstrands be.
Expect the occasional garbage goal, but not a whole lot more.

But on the positive side, i think his style fits NA game better than the Swedish.

Last edited:

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
:laugh: Check out this paragraph from the Pass it to Bulis story on him:

"Hilariously, the morning show guys on the Team 1040, Scotty Rintoul and Jason Botchford, had no idea who Blomstrand was, speculating that he was an undrafted Swedish free agent and “the next Fabian Brunnstrom.†Not their finest hour."

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

"Hilariously, the morning show guys on the Team 1040, Scotty Rintoul and Jason Botchford, had no idea who Blomstrand was, speculating that he was an undrafted Swedish free agent and “the next Fabian Brunnstrom.†Not their finest hour."

I'm stunned.

/deadpan

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
later confirmed to be their finest hour when they at least got the fact that he was swedish correct

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010

Jason Botchford = DUD

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010

Thanks for that! I would love an Abdelkader on this team if that's what he tops out at I would be more than happy with this pick at 4th round.

He seems to have a bit of a scoring touch too? More so on the greasy side of things or he does have some offensive awareness?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Not that he's hasn't any "duds"...

apr2108_scout_gradin_sm.jpg

But he looks like a "Super Scout" compared to some of the clowns we've had here domestically.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
People talk about the Aquini and their "business practices" but what about Quinn and his infamous "old switcheroos"...

Eg., trying to pull a fast one on your best prospect (Pavel Bure) by changing the currency on the contract from US$ to CDN$ (back when our dollar was known as the "North American Peso". Pavel likely didn't forget that BS move.
Yeah, that was what I had in mind. Quinn was not only unethical but also arrogant. I can't imagine how many other players he crossed during his time here with that kind of bull.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad