Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Ludwig Blomstrand to ELC

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Good thing is that many of those players are developing. There's always a chance none of them will be NHLers but that's different from some of our past drafts where players stagnated after we selected them (and were busts pretty quickly).

I'll be honest and say that I was pretty skeptical of that pick at the time too but that whole 2011 class has progressed very nicely since they were drafted. Trending upwards which is more than you can say for a lot of what the previous regime had. Definitely an upgrade on the kind of drafting we've had before.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I dunno, for the most part I defer to the professionals. I think the fact of the matter is that when we are talking about most picks, especially late round picks, you have got to go with the hockey people- you know the people who have a career in hockey all their lives.

I mean people who disagree with late round picks are doing what? Disagreeing with Bob Mckenzie's draft rating? That's essentially what it comes down to, and puts the world in very silly simple world where every prospect has a clear rating and every team must pick the "best" player on that "definitive" list. 99% of fans haven't even seen most mid to late round picks play, yet they are taking a temper tantrum because Bob's pick was overlooked for some obscure guy that they never heard of.

In the real world differences are so minute it is hard to pick, even for the best hockey people. When you factor in the fact that teams have certain needs and desires to draft for in the big picture, things get even more complicated.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, for the most part I defer to the professionals. I think the fact of the matter is that when we are talking about most picks, especially late round picks, you have got to go with the hockey people- you know the people who have a career in hockey all their lives.

I mean people who disagree with late round picks are doing what? Disagreeing with Bob Mckenzie's draft rating? That's essentially what it comes down to, and puts the world in very silly simple world where every prospect has a clear rating and every team must pick the "best" player on that "definitive" list. 99% of fans haven't even seen most mid to late round picks play, yet they are taking a temper tantrum because Bob's pick was overlooked for some obscure guy that they never heard of.

In the real world differences are so minute it is hard to pick, even for the best hockey people. When you factor in the fact that teams have certain needs and desires to draft for in the big picture, things get even more complicated.

this is mostly what i was going for, i mean, there's "i havent heard of this guy" but ehhh. i cant find criticism for anything 4th round+ just because its such a crapshoot to begin with

i find myself just getting excited because ~lottery ticket~

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Blast, I'm as bad as Botchford. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Difference is, you're not getting paid to keep up with this stuff. Couldn't even do a simple Google search? Ever heard of hockeydb? Just a bunch of lazy, incompetent hacks.

Frank Garrett

Duncan
Oct 3, 2011
Duncan Construction
What would you say is his skill set...who would be someone comparable would you guys say??? Thanks! Don't follow our euro prospects nearly enough.

Judging by the video posted on page one, he looks like a slower version of Chris Higgins with a big-ass Pavel Kubina head on top of him.

Maybe that ginormous head just makes him appear as though he's moving slower though?

Dado

Reality is even the best drafting teams rarely get anything useful out of a pick this deep. Wish the kid well, hope it works out, wake me up when he has a chance to make the roster.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Gonna be really interesting to see how he does with the smaller ice. He has a skillset that looks like it could actually make him a better player without all the extra space.

Didn't really get the pick at the time, but for someone grabbed that late, if we can eventually get a useful bottom-sixer out of the deal, that's a bargain.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Besides being named Ludwig, his last name means Flowerbeach. I guess it is a name to make at least some posters here swoon.

Yes, but he is like an iron fist in a velvet glove. Ludwig means "famous warrior" (wiki et al)
so his full name in English means "Famous Warrior Flowerbeach."

Louis, Luigi, Lou, and Gino are English, French, and Italian names that are related etymologically to Ludwig, and also carry the meaning of Famous Warrior. Gino Odjick comes to mind, and of course there's a famous player named Lou who is fighting to be No. 1 in the net :)

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Yes, but he is like an iron fist in a velvet glove. Ludwig means "famous warrior" (wiki et al)
so his full name in English means "Famous Warrior Flowerbeach."

Louis, Luigi, Lou, and Gino are English, French, and Italian names that are related etymologically to Ludwig, and also carry the meaning of Famous Warrior. Gino Odjick comes to mind, and of course there's a famous player named Lou who is fighting to be No. 1 in the net :)

Many Ludwigs' seem to be pianists or composers...
What happened there?
Are they trying to conquer people with music now?

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Thread on this on 2nd page.

I suppose more confirmation never hurts, but this should probably go in that thread.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Yeah, except this guy will actually play some hockey in N.America and is already 200+ lbs. I'm not sure if Danielsson has ever managed to best 175lbs.

LOL, i know. I'm just being facetious. If this guy plays only one game for the Canucks, I would consider it a success.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Nice to know that when his playing days are over, he'll have a promising career as a James Bond villain.

I sense a Bond villain themed avatar rush with Gillis as Blofeld (Donald Pleasence version). Burrows as Jaws. Schroeder as Nick Nack. Higgins as Odd Job. AV as Dr No (you can't).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->