Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Ludwig Blomstrand to ELC

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
From Swedish newspapers.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/internationellt/nhl/article16422346.ab

Some translation:
  • Thinks hes going to play in the AHL this spring. Going to Vancouver to tomorrow.
  • Had no idea he was going to get signed, but got a contract offer yesterday and said to himself why not.
  • Sais he doesnt know about the finicial terms of the contract and doesnt care since its a childhood dream to play in the NHL.

[MOD]

Twitter Link added:

Sportsnet Pacific‏@SNETPacific
Reports out of Sweden say the #Canucks have signed their 4th round draft pick from 2011, Ludwig Blomstrand to a three-year entry level deal.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I really wonder how he'll show in the AHL. At minimum he should get time in a depth centre role over a guy like Schneider, but I guess you never know.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
What? :laugh:

It's like he thought the Canucks were asking him if he wanted to super size his meal at McDonalds.

Hmm Maybe a poor choice of words, sometimes Swedish sound to laid back when you translate it. :laugh:
Guess its more like that he said yes without really thinking about it.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
A really good signing for a 4th rounder; no risk here as he has developed well the latest year with 2 years playing against men in SEL and one WJC.

He will fill a role in AHL and he would do well as a bottom 6 guy (he is rather big already) in as short time as a year with some luck (no injuries and that is about the only thing which would stop him other than Vancouver's immense depth :sarcasm:).

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Excellent. And just what I wanted, him to come over to the AHL immediately. I think it will be good for him.

I really wonder how he'll show in the AHL. At minimum he should get time in a depth centre role over a guy like Schneider, but I guess you never know.
Blomstrand plays wing but takes sporadic face offs. Schneider can keep his 4C job for this season at least.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Yes! So excited to watch him play. Really think we have something in this guy. His goal totals in the Allsvenskan this season (after he was traded) had him 10 in GPG and ahead of many other notable (although a year younger) prospects such as Filip Forsberg and Pontus Aberg.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Cool.

I like his size for a player his age. I don't know anything about him, but if his skating and defensive play have still been progressing at the right clip we might actually see him sooner than later.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
What? :laugh:

It's like he thought the Canucks were asking him if he wanted to super size his meal at McDonalds.

To be honest though the terms of entry level contracts are pretty much set. As a 4th round pick he isn't going to be expecting any large first round type bonuses. So he doesn't have much need to check the terms. I'm guessing the why not type of thing is more to "my season is over here and I might as well go over and play some more this year".

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Some of that is "aw shucks" hockey player stuff Swedish version. "Just happy to be here" is a tried and tested talking point for many young players.

As if the guy doesn't know what is base salary is going to be next year...

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
2011 is turning out to be one of the better drafts we've had in awhile.

Jensen
Labate
Blomstrand
Corrado
Tommernes

have all played well this year, even Grenier/Honzik have shown stints of their talent throughout the season. Not bad.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I was just going to post that. A good chance 3 of those guys have NHL careers. That would be one heck of a draft.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I was just going to post that. A good chance 3 of those guys have NHL careers. That would be one heck of a draft.

Good thing is that many of those players are developing. There's always a chance none of them will be NHLers but that's different from some of our past drafts where players stagnated after we selected them (and were busts pretty quickly).

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Good thing is that many of those players are developing. There's always a chance none of them will be NHLers but that's different from some of our past drafts where players stagnated after we selected them (and were busts pretty quickly).

Yeah. That was what I was getting at. Certainly possible that they don't develop into NHLers but at this time I think we know that Jensen and Corrado are certainly going to be given every opportunity to have an NHL career. Given the signing of Blomstrand and his development I wouldn't be shocked that they will be giving him a long look for the NHL as well. Tell you what, if Blomstrand adjusts well to the North American game and continues to develop SChroeder may need to look over his shoulder a bit. Especially with Gaunce entering the organization. And this is from someone who by and large was pleased with what he showed in his first go round in the NHL.

Interesting to note that Jensen has scored 7 goals in 11 career AHL games. LEd AIK in goals this season. Final year in Junior he had 30 goals in 60 games or so. Kid can put the puck in the net.

Last edited:

arsmaster*

Yeah. That was what I was getting at. Certainly possible that they don't develop into NHLers but at this time I think we know that Jensen and Corrado are certainly going to be given every opportunity to have an NHL career. Given the signing of Blomstrand and his development I wouldn't be shocked that they will be giving him a long look for the NHL as well. Tell you what, if Blomstrand adjusts well to the North American game and continues to develop SChroeder may need to look over his shoulder a bit. Especially with Gaunce entering the organization. And this is from someone who by and large was pleased with what he showed in his first go round in the NHL.

He's a winger though, don't know why that would affect Schroeder.

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
What would you say is his skill set...who would be someone comparable would you guys say??? Thanks! Don't follow our euro prospects nearly enough.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I find it hilarious that he doesn't know anything about the terms. Seems like a good kid though so I'm excited to see what he can do over here.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Very pleased with this; I've been reading the reports from Tiranis and Feebster (I believe it was these two - sorry if I missed anyone) with interest. Can't wait to see what he can do in North America.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad