Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Jason Dickinson to 3-Year, $7.95M Deal ($2.65M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
1) Tanev's game is based on speed and not physicality. There are definitely some Darren Helms out there who are great skaters and can play a checking line role until age 35. There aren't many Jordan Tootoos playing well into their 30s.
2) Tanev is probably the best 3rd liner in the NHL. I get that he is a guy who possibly falls outside of some rules I would generally have, but I'll make an exception because I think he's an absolutely outstanding player who is close to prime Burrows level at ES and should be on a team's 2nd line at ES.

You don't think Tanev plays a hard skating physical game? You make him sound like a finesse player that relies on his speed.

Reactions: geebaan

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
How many small physical 30+ guys are there in the NHL right now? Careers are getting shorter and even skill players have trouble sustaining performances much past 30.

As per your second point, absolutely. You'll hear that Benning 'got unlucky' with injuries but he made is own bad luck by constantly signing guys for 1-2 years too long. Injuries to Roussel/Sutter/Baertschi and others would have been exponentially less significant if their contracts were 1-2 years shorter. When you sign guys too long, the risks you'll get bitten by an injury go way up.

1) Tanev's game is based on speed and not physicality. There are definitely some Darren Helms out there who are great skaters and can play a checking line role until age 35. There aren't many Jordan Tootoos playing well into their 30s.
2) Tanev is probably the best 3rd liner in the NHL. I get that he is a guy who possibly falls outside of some rules I would generally have, but I'll make an exception because I think he's an absolutely outstanding player who is close to prime Burrows level at ES and should be on a team's 2nd line at ES.
Admittingly with a quick check your more right that i was. Not many at all which makes the decision to go 4yrs just that much more egregious. No wonder Wall and Gear got fired as well who the hell was providing odds for these types of decisions to work out and providing push back?

When you wrote that i was immediately thinking about Helm, Brad Richardson and Hansen but yes they were all better players in their primes and it is extremely rare. Benning's July 1sts were basically horror shows

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
So much dead weight on this team.
So little help waiting in the wings.
I have a hard time imagining anyone doing a worse job than Jim, unless they somehow managed to pick Kravtsov and Glass instead of Hughes and Pettersson.

The thing is, we're not going to be able to get rid of guys like Dickinson without offering up picks to go with them... so we're kind of stuck, unless we decide instead to ruin the value of our good trade pieces by sending them on their way accompanied by one of our crap contracts.

Reactions: PM and mossey3535

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I mean basically if they can't score more than 10 goals/30 points consistently for a few seasons, they shouldn't get paid.

Him not being able to take faceoffs should've been something that could have been predicted. And I think faceoffs are overrated.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
What’s the difference between Dickenson and Lammikko besides the price tag?

Benning never learnt from his mistakes, overpaid Sutter sitting in the press box too.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
What’s the difference between Dickenson and Lammikko besides the price tag?

Benning never learnt from his mistakes, overpaid Sutter sitting in the press box too.
Lammikko works hard and is starting to rack up the points, and seems to be progressing as a player

Dickinson works poorly and is an offensive black hole, and seems to be regressing as a player

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
What happened to Dickinson? Regardless of his offensive skills he could be skating hard out there and making some kind of an impact. He seemed like a hard worker with some size and speed when he first got here. But his work rate doesn't see to be there anymore. I wonder if he's hurt or something.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
It took Gaunce 10 years to produce anything, for a first round pick that’s way too long
Sure ok was a late 1st in the weakest of drafts, but he still would have been the same option during the Beagle years at a fraction of the price

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
We really need to dump this guy.

I do not see him play a single meaningful shift for us all season.

And his body language of "oh darn I screwed up" is a major turn off.

Reactions: wonton15

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It took Gaunce 10 years to produce anything, for a first round pick that’s way too long
He's a nothing player. Except unlike Dickon, he's on a one year deal making pretty much league minimum (750K).

That's what Dickon should be getting. But instead, he's a several million cap hit on a contract with term.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
We really need to dump this guy.

I do not see him play a single meaningful shift for us all season.

And his body language of "oh darn I screwed up" is a major turn off.
How? Nobody would touch that contract straight up, it'd take adding a 2nd+ to move him. You'd need to trade for an equally bad contract which defeats the point. Buyout - 4 years of pain. Waivers is the best idea, at least it knocks 1m of the cap hit and gets through it faster

Jimbo just Beagle'd us with his Beagle replacement. We'd have been better off keeping Beagle, at least he'd be off the books. That constant repeating of the same mistake to fix the previous one, a Jimbo trademark.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
How? Nobody would touch that contract straight up, it'd take adding a 2nd+ to move him. You'd need to trade for an equally bad contract which defeats the point. Buyout - 4 years of pain. Waivers is the best idea, at least it knocks 1m of the cap hit and gets through it faster

Jimbo just Beagle'd us with his Beagle replacement. We'd have been better off keeping Beagle, at least he'd be off the books. That constant repeating of the same mistake to fix the previous one, a Jimbo trademark.
Holy f*** you are right.

At least Beagle knows how to do his job.

Gfc. The dumbception is bottomless.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As was the case with just every 'veteran depth forward' Jimbo ever signed, it isn't the contract number but rather the 'term' that makes Dickinson's contract a cap-killer. Same with Poolman.

At just over $2.6m a season, some team might be willing to take a flyer on someone like Dickinson. But no chance they'd ever be willing to take on the term left on his contract.

Just another in a seemingly endless, and mind-numbing UFA signings by the previous regime with untradeable contracts.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Image a world with no Dickinson/Poolman, Eriksson/Beagle/Roussel officially off the books and Guenther developing in our system... Plus no oel for the next 40 years.

Dim Jim set this team back for years in one offseason alone.

Reactions: M2Beezy

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
As was the case with just every 'veteran depth forward' Jimbo ever signed, it isn't the contract number but rather the 'term' that makes Dickinson's contract a cap-killer. Same with Poolman.

At just over $2.6m a season, some team might be willing to take a flyer on someone like Dickinson. But no chance they'd ever be willing to take on the term left on his contract.

Just another in a seemingly endless, and mind-numbing UFA signings by the previous regime with untradeable contracts.

Well Jim Bennings trash ass is gone, although he crippled this team with shit bitch ass stupid contracts. How this skank survived for so long is damn stupid, the hell with this THOT

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I think you'll agree that Jim Benning, the former General Manager of the Vancouver Canucks, should not have traded for Dickinson or signed him to his present contract. Frankly I question his judgement in both matters.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
I think you'll agree that Jim Benning, the former General Manager of the Vancouver Canucks, should not have traded for Dickinson or signed him to his present contract. Frankly I question his judgement in both matters.
There are a lot of things Benning should not have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad