Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Jason Dickinson to 3-Year, $7.95M Deal ($2.65M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
Sutter in 17-18 was a legitimately good hockey player, even marred as he was by injuries by that point, missing 21 games that season, after missing most of the 15-16 season. Sutter was overpaid by about 1.5m even then, but he was actually worth around a ~3m cap hit when he was healthy in his late 20's. Haven't seen anything from Dick this season to suggest he can hit Sutter's level.

Reactions: Hit the post

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Wasted cap space on a player that doesnt move the needle at all. He's a 4th liner that specializes in 5v5 defending, while sucking at the pk and dragging down the offense of whoever he plays with. We are overpaying him to make a whole line completely void of scoring.

f*** Benning, his parting gifts were an expensive 4th line scrub, an untradeable no-offense 7+mil dman with term, and a pint-sized winger that is already on the trade block. Only cost us a high 3rd and a top 10 pick, to f*** the cap with 2 useless pieces, and a midget.

We could do so much better with our cap space, than spendng it on OEL and Dick.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I would like to know the name of the pro scouts who filed reports on Dickinson (above and beyond Jim and John) and figure out what process led to him being identified as a player worthy of a 3rd round pick and $9MM contract.

Were they completely duped by his usage?

Reactions: MarkMM

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Wasted cap space on a player that doesnt move the needle at all. He's a 4th liner that specializes in 5v5 defending, while sucking at the pk and dragging down the offense of whoever he plays with. We are overpaying him to make a whole line completely void of scoring.

f*** Benning, his parting gifts were an expensive 4th line scrub, an untradeable no-offense 7+mil dman with term, and a pint-sized winger that is already on the trade block. Only cost us a high 3rd and a top 10 pick, to f*** the cap with 2 useless pieces, and a midget.

We could do so much better with our cap space, than spendng it on OEL and Dick.

Desperate moves by a GM who had to win now to keep his job. These moves are mostly on Aqua for letting Benning keep his job as long as he did and buying into the narrative that this team is competitive.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Desperate moves by a GM who had to win now to keep his job. These moves are mostly on Aqua for letting Benning keep his job as long as he did and buying into the narrative that this team is competitive.

Yes, exactly. Fredo agreeing to crap moves like signing Dickinson reminds me of this scene.... FAILED moves in a feeble attempt to hold on to power.... Fredo needed to change up and move Dim 3-4 year ago...

F.A's leadership the last few years.... loud at the time ... but ultimately doomed to fail.

{img]

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I posted a long list of comparables in his thread. Players like him are getting 1-1.5M for RFA years and 2-2.5M for UFA years. This is a gross overpayment. Ryan Hartman is basically a dead-on comp who was signed at 3x1.7M four months ago.

Hilarious comp in hindsight given that Hartman has scored more points in 40 games this season than Dickinson may score over his entire contract.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I would like to know the name of the pro scouts who filed reports on Dickinson (above and beyond Jim and John) and figure out what process led to him being identified as a player worthy of a 3rd round pick and $9MM contract.

I wonder if there was some bad analytics stuff done here.

Like, this article on Dickinson is insane :

Further analyzing Jason Dickinson’s game and how he’ll help the Canucks

A whole analytics-based article hyping Dickinson as an elite #3 defensive C that doesn't mention that Dickinson played mostly 2nd line wing (and not at all as a #3C) in 20-21. And that even though his advanced stats look great in isolation ... 5 of the top 12 forwards in the NHL in terms of defensive metrics played for Dallas, so clearly there was something going on over and above the raw numbers.

It's right up there with the Wiercioch takes from a few years earlier. I wonder if the team was suckered by the same stuff? Or if it was just old fashioned back pro scouting? Or both?

That said, Dickinson would be a useful enough bottom-6 winger at like <$1.5 million. As usual, the asset was just destroyed by the contract it was given.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I wonder if there was some bad analytics stuff done here.

Like, this article on Dickinson is insane :

Further analyzing Jason Dickinson’s game and how he’ll help the Canucks

A whole analytics-based article hyping Dickinson as an elite #3 defensive C that doesn't mention that Dickinson played mostly 2nd line wing (and not at all as a #3C) in 20-21. And that even though his advanced stats look great in isolation ... 5 of the top 12 forwards in the NHL in terms of defensive metrics played for Dallas, so clearly there was something going on over and above the raw numbers.

It's right up there with the Wiercioch takes from a few years earlier. I wonder if the team was suckered by the same stuff? Or if it was just old fashioned back pro scouting? Or both?

That said, Dickinson would be a useful enough bottom-6 winger at like <$1.5 million. As usual, the asset was just destroyed by the contract it was given.

i ripped that crappy article to shreds when it came out

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
i ripped that crappy article to shreds when it came out

Canucks Army hasn't offered anything of value since the Computer Boys left.

With respect to Dickinson, no one who had performed a reasonable evaluation of him should be surprised by this season. He's always been a zero-offence forward. For the majority of last season, he was a winger with better linemates and piggy-backed some points. Other than that, he's a pure shot suppressor. Which is what he's done here.

Completely in line with reasonable expectations. Was it a good addition? Not really. But he's more-or-less done what he should've been expected to do. You'd hope for more scoring, but if anyone was banking on Dickinson to score....uhh that's on them.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
although jonathan wall was canned, most of the analytics department remains. hoping they won't make mistakes like this in the future.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Where do people rank Dickinson among Benning's farewell tour of failure? Or for the Benning faithful, please show me the light and explain how he was another bullseye tainted only by unfair criticism and blind hate.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Canucks Army hasn't offered anything of value since the Computer Boys left.

With respect to Dickinson, no one who had performed a reasonable evaluation of him should be surprised by this season. He's always been a zero-offence forward. For the majority of last season, he was a winger with better linemates and piggy-backed some points. Other than that, he's a pure shot suppressor. Which is what he's done here.

Completely in line with reasonable expectations. Was it a good addition? Not really. But he's more-or-less done what he should've been expected to do. You'd hope for more scoring, but if anyone was banking on Dickinson to score....uhh that's on them.

The funny thing is that Dickinson's offense was actually trending down. He was on pace for more points the previous two seasons than last season.

Reactions: Dab and Nucker101

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Where do people rank Dickinson among Benning's farewell tour of failure? Or for the Benning faithful, please show me the light and explain how he was another bullseye tainted only by unfair criticism and blind hate.
I'm impressed we actually gave up a (minor) asset to acquire Dickon. Jim "Don't need draft picks" Benning strikes again.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The funny thing is that Dickinson's offense was actually trending down. He was on pace for more points the previous two seasons than last season.
He's basically a nice 4th liner. NHL is essentially at a point now where you need three lines that can produce offense at ES and this guy is an offensive black hole

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

I wanna who they are so we can get them fired. Guy is a black hole offensively and does not do enough defensively for his salary.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I think it's very generous to think Benning was using their services all that much.
782671-img-2064-e1435360009376.jpg;w=720

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I think the analytics of this trade and signing took a backseat to this thought process:

“we’re receiving a ton of pressure from fans and ownership to ice a winner but our depth is so piss poor let’s just sign nhl players and to get them we’ll not only outbid everyone else we will blow their offers out of the water”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad