Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Jason Dickinson to 3-Year, $7.95M Deal ($2.65M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
I'm just baffled this guy would do this deal before the important ones. This is ok but he just doesn't get it this Jimbo.

pretty stupid take. the other 2 big ones are obviously being worked on... he can do multiple deals at a time. he isnt going to not sign dickinson because the other 2 are having more difficulties getting signed...

im not even a benning fan but man you guys spin everything into something against him

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Dim Jim did ok on this one. He seems to be learning from his many mistakes. Not too crazy on price, term and no no trade clause

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Yes sign the filler guys first and then say this is what's left EP and Hughes take it or leave it genius.
Seeing as its pretty clear Petey and Hughes wanna be smart and hedge their bets by signing short term. I wish it wasn't the case, but it does make sense why we are signing players in this fashion.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Not terrible, but not good either. Probably 500 thousandish overpaid. I don't know if I would do 3 years, as I worry that Dickinson's defensive stats were a product of playing for a good defensive team.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Don't mind the deal considering the money Jimbo's splashed out for worse players. Maybe a touch on the high side, but not bad. Is there no trade protection, or have the complete terms not been reported yet?

You would be bitching and complaining if we didnt have enough space to sign Dickenson after trading for him but, I guess thats just the type of person you are

:laugh:

Competent managers work out budgeting in advance. Not that you'd know that, obviously.

Reactions: pomorick

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Roughly $12.15M left plus the Ferland $3.5M LTIR

$9M for EP on an 8 year deal.
$5.5M for Hughes on a 3 year bridge.

Edit: That said, a bridge for EP would likely be better because they need to sign Motte, Rathbone, and Boeser next year. Combined that will be an increase of roughly $3-4M and only $600K comes off from the Luongo recapture after adding the Holtby and Virtanen buyout increases.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghetty Green

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
pretty stupid take. the other 2 big ones are obviously being worked on... he can do multiple deals at a time. he isnt going to not sign dickinson because the other 2 are having more difficulties getting signed...

im not even a benning fan but man you guys spin everything into something against him
Yes sign Dickinson and then have an even tougher time signing the big two. Wouldn't it make sense to sign EP first then Hughes then Dickinson you can play hardball with considering he's least valuable?

You would be bitching and complaining if we didnt have enough space to sign Dickenson after trading for him but, I guess thats just the type of person you are

Actually, if we didn't have enough to sign Dickinson after getting the big two signed I'd be fine long as the two were signed. However, then someone would add why was Pearson signed before? You see Jimbo just doesn't plan that's the problem with this guy.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Yes sign Dickinson and then have an even tougher time signing the big two. Wouldn't it make sense to sign EP first then Hughes then Dickinson you can play hardball with considering he's least valuable?

Actually, if we didn't have enough to sign Dickinson after getting the big two signed I'd be fine long as the two were signed. However, then someone would add why was Pearson signed before? You see Jimbo just doesn't plan that's the problem with this guy.

I generally agree and would have preferred they re-signed Pettersson before Free Agency even opened, but there was some urgency in this case as his arbitration date was next week and surely they didn't want to do that (although a 1 year arbitration award would have probably been better than this contract.)

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Well, it's not Sutter bad.

Still seems like a bit of an overpayment for an RFA, but only if Dickinson proves to be a legit 3C. If Green plays him primarily as a bottom 6 winger, then this a gross overpayment.

Adds to the squeeze factor for next offseason's cap space.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I generally agree and would have preferred they re-signed Pettersson before Free Agency even opened, but there was some urgency in this case as his arbitration date was next week and surely they didn't want to do that (although a 1 year arbitration award would have probably been better than this contract.)
I didn't realize this but again if we could have saved a bit this year in arbitration on 1-year deal would have been better.

PuckFather

Oct 14, 2014
Roughly $12.15M left plus the Ferland $3.5M LTIR

$9M for EP on an 8 year deal.
$5.5M for Hughes on a 3 year bridge.

Edit: That said, a bridge for EP would likely be better because they need to sign Motte, Rathbone, and Boeser next year. Combined that will be an increase of roughly $3-4M and only $600K comes off from the Luongo recapture after adding the Holtby and Virtanen buyout increases.
There's also an extra 2.2m as 3 players shown on Capfriendly will be on Abby's roster and off the cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad